The Student Room Group

WJEC for English Lanuage?

Do you find this board really hard to get the top grades (A/A*) compared to other boards.

This is in terms of the grade boundaries; the general timing for tasks and how hard they mark the coursework.

Personally I find it easy to pull off moderately high grades (C/B) but, on the other hand, extremely hard to pull to the A/A* - there is just a big gap kind of thing, what do you think?

Thank you, please vote your opinion. It's appreciated :wink:.
Reply 1
I don't know really, I had WJEC for most of my exams (being Welsh and all :p:) and I got A*s in all of them with that board, and then my As in the exams with Edexcel. I like the structure of the English language paper for WJEC, but I'm not entirely sure how other boards structure theirs to be honest :smile:
Reply 2
I think English Language papers with WJEC are okay, and yes I really think its harder to get A/A* on those papers...Because for my last 2 mocks, I've been getting High B's! That maybe because my teachers mark it strictly! and also my coursework is to a B/C standard! The marking is really harsh!
But I hope I have a higher grade in my real exam!
Reply 3
No idea. I got an A* in English Lang with WJEC (and an A in Lit). I liked the structure of their English exams anyway.
Reply 4
OK, listen: I got an A in WJEC English Language with no preparation or teaching whatsoever. I didn't revise one iota, and my teacher hadn't taught us anything relevant to the exam all year.
Reply 5
Ramadulla
Do you find this board really hard to get the top grades (A/A*) compared to other boards.

This is in terms of the grade boundaries; the general timing for tasks and how hard they mark the coursework.

Personally I find it easy to pull off moderately high grades (C/B) but, on the other hand, extremely hard to pull to the A/A* - there is just a big gap kind of thing, what do you think?

Thank you, please vote your opinion. It's appreciated :wink:.

Off-topic, but your signature is thrown into some doubt when some smart-arse like me comes along, does a quick wikipedia, grabs his calculator and points out that the moon is over 100 million times nearer to us than the nearest (non-solar) star.
Reply 6
tommmmmmmmmm
Off-topic, but your signature is thrown into some doubt when some smart-arse like me comes along, does a quick wikipedia, grabs his calculator and points out that the moon is over 100 million times nearer to us than the nearest (non-solar) star.

lol, love the internet...
tommmmmmmmmm

It was to be taken in a literal sense. Smart arse? I doubt it.
well I've just scraped an A* for my coursework in both WJEC English Language and Literature, but I found the exams really difficult. I'm hoping for an A overall in both GCSEs, but I'm doomed lol..... I'm bound to get a B in at least one of the GCSEs.
Reply 9
I did my GCSE's 3 years ago and i found the language paper quite difficult but only because we hadn't been taught anything for it and the coursework that did was done within a week. The whole class missed out one part because we didn't have enough time.

The lit paper was much easier though, and we hadn't been taught anything for that, we were given the books and that was about it. Got an A in that though so i was happy and a B in Language when i should have had As in both, but thats what you get when your teacher has a mental breakdown in the first term of year ten and doesn't come back until a few weeks before the exam.
We had lots of free lessons that year, and went through a lot of supply teachers.

Latest