The Student Room Group
whhhhaaaaaaa???? depends what job, eg, if you wanted to be a teacher of history and american studies- sortedddd right?
Reply 2
I saw a post recently where an American Studies graduate had just landed a job with the Foreign Office - can't be bad!
You can definitely still get on a good V100 course with BBB. Look at this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=456674

You could apply to Goldsmiths, Reading, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Oxford Brooks, Hull...all good unis. And you never know, you might surprise yourself and get better grades anyway. I wouldn't give up on applying for straight history. :smile:
I really wanted to do History and American Studies but decided against it because the universities I really liked didn't offer it. It is not a soft degree and if an employer is not 100% sure of what it is, you can always include a line on your CV explaining ("the History, Literature, Culture and Politics of the Americas" should do). It has benefits because you develop a range of skills and show your diversity of ability.

I'd imagine with History as part of the degree, you would be perfectly able to go into teaching, journalism, etc just as you can with other humanities degrees.

I was very impressed with the American Studies department at Nottingham. Although it will vary as the course is very different depending on where you study it. At Keele, for example, you can take modules in a range of subject areas (all focused on America of course) such as Geography, Business, Media, Literature, History, Sociology, Politics etc. Whereas, at Hull (I adore the university and the History department but not the American Studies department - hence why I've applied for single honours) you are more limited to History, Literature, Culture and Media as a general rule.

If you will enjoy it, and are like me (I initially feared getting bogged down by doing the same type of studying for three years) then go for it. Just make sure you check out what they offer. Warwick, for example, is more focused on Latin America / South America (and you have to study Spanish as part of the degree) whereas Birmingham is focused on the USA and Canada.

Hope that helps.

=D
Reply 5
affinity89
Warwick, for example, is more focused on Latin America / South America (and you have to study Spanish as part of the degree).

There are some great courses in Warwick's dept..........I'm pretty sure there are quite a few North American courses too. I'm doing straihgt history but in my second year I did two American Studies modules as my two optional modules and they were class - one was America frm New Deal to Nixon and the other was Aztecs/Incas and the Spanish conquest.
Cessie
There are some great courses in Warwick's dept..........I'm pretty sure there are quite a few North American courses too. I'm doing straihgt history but in my second year I did two American Studies modules as my two optional modules and they were class - one was America frm New Deal to Nixon and the other was Aztecs/Incas and the Spanish conquest.

I didn't say the courses were bad. Nor did I say they were all based on South America, just that you'll notice there are more modules on South America than you find on many other American Studies courses (hence if that is the area you would like to focus on, it is a good place to choose unlike Birmingham or Hull where the focus is on the USA and Canada).
Reply 7
I didn't say you had said that cuz I know theres a lot of Spanish/Latin American/Carribean history.........................I just quoted you to add more info re: Warwick
Cessie
I didn't say you had said that cuz I know theres a lot of Spanish/Latin American/Carribean history.........................I just quoted you to add more info re: Warwick

I was just making clear that I was aware that they offered North America courses as well. I didn't mean it to sound aggressive if it did. After all, we are both trying to help.
We seem to think alike! \:]
I want to go to Swansea to do a joint American Studies and History degree in 2009.
I just come back from a Swansea open day several day's and was very impressed with the humanities faculty, I felt truly at home.
The American Studies department is amazing, they have a total of 12 lecturers and take on 60 pupils each academic year. The content of the course is so versatile, as long as you have a passion for the Americas it is a great university to study American Studies. In fact it holds the biggest American Studies department in Wales.

Latest

Trending

Trending