The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"I'm hot and naked..."

then follow it up with:

"now I have your attention, I want to study Physics because..."

:biggrin:
Reply 2
"I wish to study [subject] because..."

Can't beat it. Don't bother with fancy quotes and stuff, just get straight in there.
'How many 0's do you want me to put on this blank cheque?'
Take n0thing away from the pleasures of counting. I love maths and lots more besides - that's why I want to go to uni. And let me explain why counting and women have a lot more in common than you think...
Audrey Hepburn's way is the best way :smile:
I started mine with a question.
Reply 6
Audrey Hepburn
"I'm hot and naked..."

then follow it up with:

"now I have your attention, I want to study Physics because..."

:biggrin:

:eek:
That would be a really good way to start my ps if I was doing something like david becham studies...
what subject is it for?

i started mine with
"drama. small word: big concept."

obviously, you could jus replace drama with whatver your studying. but being an english student i know all the tricks of the persuasive linguistic trade:smile:
Reply 8
I began mine with creative writing, so it started like a story. I got into all my universities, so there must have been something good :smile:
What subject are you appying for?

I wrote a short paragraph about why I love the subject and it's relevance to wider society.

Mine started as:

"Despite an ever-widening scope of choice for the modern undergraduate, studying the nature of [SUBJECT] means far more than an academic subject studied for a set number of hours a week. It is undoubtedly an influential part of the society we operate in as people. [EXPLAIN WHY AND HOW I AM SUITED TO STUDY/INTERESTED IN THAT]"

that lead nicely into my strengths as a candidate and relevant work experience, I got into 5/5 of my applications.
My opening sentence was the last thing I wrote for my personal statement - I found it much easier to jump straight in and write all the rest, then fine tune the opening and concluding sentences right at the end :smile:

I just logged into Track, and it turns out I opened mine with "My first encounter with the speech and language therapy profession was when I was 15, and...". So there ya go! :biggrin:
Reply 11
francescarella
what subject is it for?

i started mine with
"drama. small word: big concept."

obviously, you could jus replace drama with whatver your studying. but being an english student i know all the tricks of the persuasive linguistic trade:smile:

Psyxhology
SarahhhD
:eek:
That would be a really good way to start my ps if I was doing something like david becham studies...

:rofl:

I actually know a guy who started his: 'Quite simply, I want to study History because I want to rule the world.' :biggrin:

Also, for the love of God do not start your ps with a quote!! Sooooo many people do it and it's just such a cliche!!
This was my opener, and for the record I got all my offers!

To me, Music is a subject unlike any other; it is not just an interest, it is my passion and a major part of my life. I first decided that I wanted to study Music in Higher Education after seeing a performance by the Welsh National Orchestra in St David's Hall, Cardiff. Among the three pieces, my favourite was bla bla bla

Depending on what the subject is (in fact, you haven't told us what you're applying for!), you might want to skip the first sentence-type out, but I think the second sentence works well.

Edit - I see you're doing Psychology. In that case, you basically want to bum Psychology as much as possible, giving your opinion as to why it's such an interesting and important subject.
Reply 14
I began mine with "Your wife doesn't love you."

I ended mine with "Sorry."

There was nothing in between. I got 4 out of 5 offers, and as many divorces. Good times.

Spoiler

Reply 15
A fascination in the behaviour of individuals and more importantly how these individuals operate collectively within the framework of society stimulated my interest to study both society and culture.

^ Was my first sentence for applying to Sociology courses, Social Policy courses and Anthropology courses. I got five out of five offers so it must have been okay!

However reading it through, mainly the bit about 'what I plan to do on my gap year etc etc', makes me feel terribly unaccomplished as in the end I didn't go to America to work at camp, didn't complete my PPL and may well not join the University Air Squadron (although I don't think they have one...so this may be irrelevant anyway!). Oops?
My start:

"Incredulous as it may seem zebras are a bloody good illustration of Newton's second law."
Reply 17
"I have allways had a facination with the inner workings of the mind, this has lead me to believe that Psychology is the best Degree option for me."

^^What I have at the minute^^
But I think that will sound Very Cliche amongst 1,000 odd other applications.
Reply 18
SarahhhD
But I think that will sound Very Cliche amongst 1,000 odd other applications.

Nothing wrong with cliche. If it works.......
Of course that'll sound very clichéd.

If you want responses from people who've seen a hundred personal statements before, post in the PS helpers' forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending