The Student Room Group

Should I Even Bother Applying This Time Round?

Just wondering what you'd do in my shoes. Relatively good GCSEs, but probably quite bad AS levels in comparison- I predict something along the lines of AABC, or maybe even ABBC, depending. I'll try and bring the grades up next year, but the universities won't know that I'm trying, so they have no reason to believe me when I say that I might be able to get AAA or AAB. The universities I'd like to apply to have offers in the range of AAA down to ABB, usually. As far as I'm aware, I have three options.

1. Apply for 2009 entry. Get rejected by most unis, but try again next year. If I get a few good offers on the off-chance, I might accept, but it depends on the university.

2. Apply for 2010 entry, deferred. But this still means that the universities will have to trust me in terms of the A-level grades I'll finally achieve.

3. Don't bother this year, have a gap year and apply next time round, when I have my A-levels. Therefore I can apply to universities which I know I have at least a relative chance of getting into.

I can't decide between 1 and 3, as 2 seems a bit pointless. I know I'll get crushed when the rejections come flooding in, but not applying this year makes me feel as though I'm missing out on a potential oppurtunity...What should I do? What would you do in my situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The first thing you should know is that AS levels are still relatively unimportant - it's all down to your predicted A2 grades. I ended up with AABBC in my AS levels, (including a U in one module in my chosen subject for Uni) and got 4 excellent offers, and an interview at Oxford. Its certainly worth giving it a shot: make sure you work hard, get your predicted grades up high, and write a solid PS, and you can't go wrong.

Pinkpont
Reply 2
You have don't put your AS grades on your UCAS application form. Only Cambrige (I think) and a select few courses at some of the other top unis will prefer to see AS level grades (or, Cambridge's case, UMS marks).

You will have a reference from your teacher who will predict your final grades. These don't necessarily need to be your AS grades.

I achieved ABB in my AS levels, but my predicted grades were AAB. They would look at attitude and potential for improvement, plus general standard of classwork and coursework. Not just AS grades. They were encouraged to always give a higher grade, if ever a student was on the borderline between two grades.

I'm not sure if your school/college will follow the same policy but don't assume that just because you only got ABB you won't get offers from AAA/AAB unis.

What are you thinking of doing, and where?
Reply 3
pinkpont
The first thing you should know is that AS levels are still relatively unimportant - it's all down to your predicted A2 grades. I ended up with AABBC in my AS levels, (including a U in one module in my chosen subject for Uni) and got 4 excellent offers, and an interview at Oxford. Its certainly worth giving it a shot: make sure you work hard, get your predicted grades up high, and write a solid PS, and you can't go wrong.

Pinkpont

Thanks for the reply!

I do worry about my predicted grades. I got my report things today, and although two of them were excellent, my physics and maths were pretty poor. Target grade for physics was a C, and for maths was a B. I know this sounds like I'm up myself, but I'd always hoped for an A in maths, but my teacher hates me so much that not only does she not teach well, but I also doubt she'd ever put my predicted grade up any higher than a B.

Congratulations on your offers, though! You've got into some pretty amazing universities!
I'd do option 1. If that goes horribly wrong, switch to option 3.
Reply 5
River85
You have don't put your AS grades on your UCAS application form. Only Cambrige (I think) and a select few courses at some of the other top unis will prefer to see AS level grades (or, Cambridge's case, UMS marks).

You will have a reference from your teacher who will predict your final grades. These don't necessarily need to be your AS grades.

I achieved ABB in my AS levels, but my predicted grades were AAB. They would look at attitude and potential for improvement, plus general standard of classwork and coursework. Not just AS grades. They were encouraged to always give a higher grade, if ever a student was on the borderline between two grades.

I'm not sure if your school/college will follow the same policy but don't assume that just because you only got ABB you won't get offers from AAA/AAB unis.

What are you thinking of doing, and where?

I'm thinking of Psychology at Exeter/Bath/Royal Holloway/Oxford/Warwick. Oxford is the long shot, but is also my dream, though I'd be happy at any of the other universities.

So you really think it's worth applying this year? And AS grades don't have to be declared?

I appreciate your help.
1st, get your teachers to understand what you are doing, so you get good predicted grades, which are very important.
2nd, even though you might not get in the first round, still try, as you might get lucky and experience is always good.
If you think AABC or ABBC is bad, then you're disillusioned.
Reply 8
SylverStrike
Thanks for the reply!

I do worry about my predicted grades. I got my report things today, and although two of them were excellent, my physics and maths were pretty poor. Target grade for physics was a C, and for maths was a B. I know this sounds like I'm up myself, but I'd always hoped for an A in maths, but my teacher hates me so much that not only does she not teach well, but I also doubt she'd ever put my predicted grade up any higher than a B.

Congratulations on your offers, though! You've got into some pretty amazing universities!

Thanks, I'm really chuffed with how I did, and I'm pretty sure anyone else can achieve what I did too. If you do think your maths teacher is unduly marking you down, it's always worth having a word with your head of year. From the looks of things, you have a good spread of subjects too, all challenging ones. Obviously these will be attractive to universities, so it will certainly make you a strong candidate. How many will you carry on to A2?
Obv try the first time, cos then if u dont do well u can reapply. You can do both 1 AND 3! Why do just 1, plus you could keep your AS grades a secret and mayb be predicted higher.
EvenStevens
If you think AABC or ABBC is bad, then you're disillusioned.

Well, 'bad' in the context of what people that apply to the unis I'd like to apply to usually get, if you see what I mean. I totally appreciate that there are people out there who'd love to get those grades, and I hope I didn't come across as some cocky so-and-so by saying that they're 'bad' grades. If so, I really do apologise.

That's a good idea, Donald Duck- telling my teachers my plans might help them understand and help me out a little, so to speak.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice given!
Reply 11
Of course apply this year, what's the worst that can happen? If you decide to take a year out and reapply then fair enough, but you could easily get some good offers as things stand.

Try and see your teachers and let them know your situation. Try and get some indication from them what they will predict for you.

Work on the personal statement. Get a top notch personal statement and there's no reason why you won't stand a chance getting an offer from most of those unis with predicted grades of AAB, or possibly even ABB.

Oxford may be pushing it but you never know unless you apply.
pinkpont
Thanks, I'm really chuffed with how I did, and I'm pretty sure anyone else can achieve what I did too. If you do think your maths teacher is unduly marking you down, it's always worth having a word with your head of year. From the looks of things, you have a good spread of subjects too, all challenging ones. Obviously these will be attractive to universities, so it will certainly make you a strong candidate. How many will you carry on to A2?

And so you should be chuffed! I looked around at Southampton briefly a few weeks ago- I live relatively near by- and it looks like a pretty awesome university.

I'm in an awkward situation with maths. I'm in the Further Maths class so we're doing modules early, so for people like me who have absolutely no natural talent in maths whatsoever, it's a real struggle. Therefore, my grades have been lower than if I had been in the other maths class.

I plan to continue all four on, and to take up English as a side for a bit of fun. I know people say that you should do less and do well, as opposed to doing more but gaining lower grades, but in my case I'd have to choose between Latin and Physics, and that's a choice I can't make (love Physics, but bad at it; hate Latin, but good at it). So I figure just carrying them all on would be a good idea.
River85
Of course apply this year, what's the worst that can happen? If you decide to take a year out and reapply then fair enough, but you could easily get some good offers as things stand.

Try and see your teachers and let them know your situation. Try and get some indication from them what they will predict for you.

Work on the personal statement. Get a top notch personal statement and there's no reason why you won't stand a chance getting an offer from most of those unis with predicted grades of AAB, or possibly even ABB.

Oxford may be pushing it but you never know unless you apply.

One thing I've always wondered is if a university knows that you're reapplying? So if I get rejected from four out of five universities this time round, theoretically, and I apply for the same five universities again, would the universities know that they'd rejected me once before?

Thanks for your input.
Reply 14
They may, or may not know you're re-applying. They get so many applicants that it's hard (virtually impossible) know. Still, I suppose if it's the same admissions tutor they may recognise you from the previous year, I don't know.

Even if they knew it was you but your application had improved (after being originally rejected) then they wouldn't hold it against you.
River85
They may, or may not know you're re-applying. They get so many applicants that it's hard (virtually impossible) know. Still, I suppose if it's the same admissions tutor they may recognise you from the previous year, I don't know.

Even if they knew it was you but your application had improved (after being originally rejected) then they wouldn't hold it against you.

Okay, that's fair enough. Thanks for the help!
Reply 16
Hi there! I asked my head of sixth form the exact same thing, as for my AS I got ds in modules for my subjects which I declared on UCAS. My grades weren't that fab in some of my subjects pre-resits (I scraped a C in Chemistry).
However, I got into 4/5 choices for History - a hard academic subject- i.e. Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh and Manchester which are four excellent universities. So it's by all means possible! And also, my friend got ABBC at AS (with an A in Art, a non-academic subject) which she declared on UCAS and got into Oxford for History of Art. Another friend got in to Cambridge with AAB as her predicted grades (though she went on to get AAA).
Grades really aren't everything in this day and age when so many young people robots get 5As or so. A great personal statement and major support from your teachers, i.e. great references, make up for so much, trust me. So I think if you're willing to take the plunge, you shoudl definitely apply this year!
Personally i'd go for option 3, especially if you go for something that 'looks good' i suppose (considering the sort of unis you intend to apply for) - maybe some work experience or some charity work abroad?
Fillette™
Hi there! I asked my head of sixth form the exact same thing, as for my AS I got ds in modules for my subjects which I declared on UCAS. My grades weren't that fab in some of my subjects pre-resits (I scraped a C in Chemistry).
However, I got into 4/5 choices for History - a hard academic subject- i.e. Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh and Manchester which are four excellent universities. So it's by all means possible! And also, my friend got ABBC at AS (with an A in Art, a non-academic subject) which she declared on UCAS and got into Oxford for History of Art. Another friend got in to Cambridge with AAB as her predicted grades (though she went on to get AAA).
Grades really aren't everything in this day and age when so many young people robots get 5As or so. A great personal statement and major support from your teachers, i.e. great references, make up for so much, trust me. So I think if you're willing to take the plunge, you shoudl definitely apply this year!

Brilliant, thank you! It's great to hear about some people's experiences. Well done for doing so well and getting into such top universities, and the same to your friends too. I guess I always thought that it was As or nothing, but this seems that this isn't the case!
NiceWeatherForAirstrikes
Personally i'd go for option 3, especially if you go for something that 'looks good' i suppose (considering the sort of unis you intend to apply for) - maybe some work experience or some charity work abroad?

Lol, I looked at your spoiler thinking, 'wow, someone who wants to do the same course as one of my friends...And wants to apply to the same universities! I have to tell her about this in Sixth Form tomorrow! What a coincidence!' :cool:

Yeah, work experience does boost an application. And the year off would be good...But on the other hand, it means that I'll be a year later for everything else. Though I guess a lot of people take a gap year.

Meh, still undecided. But I guess we've got plenty of time.

Latest

Trending

Trending