The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
YES. Obviously. You just have to take the right papers.

DO have a look at the prospectuses and all the course information online. Some of your questions do tend towards the Daft end of the spectrum...
Reply 2
epitome
YES. Obviously. You just have to take the right papers.

DO have a look at the prospectuses and all the course information online. Some of your questions do tend towards the Daft end of the spectrum...

Less of this eloquent euphemism, be tougher on the wee applicants. They need a firm hand to guide them! :whip
Reply 3
HCD
Less of this eloquent euphemism, be tougher on the wee applicants. They need a firm hand to guide them!

I'm in a patient mood. And anyway, I seem to remember getting annoyed with greenwaytph a few months ago for inane and unthought questions. Everyone needs a second chance...:wink:
Reply 4
epitome
I'm in a patient mood. And anyway, I seem to remember getting annoyed with greenwaytph a few months ago for inane and unthought questions. Everyone needs a second chance...:wink:

Everyone? Even those thoughtless bastards who pour libel over particular disciplines? :ninja:
fantastic thread.

no, it's mostly ancient egyptian history :P
Reply 6
HCD
Everyone? Even those thoughtless bastards who pour libel over particular disciplines?

You've had at least 4 chances. Don't try it, or I'll hunt you down and put a ferret down your pants.
Reply 7
epitome
You've had at least 4 chances. Don't try it, or I'll hunt you down and put a ferret down your pants.

Don't tempt me. :hubba:
Reply 8
If you particularly like ferrets, I'll bring two. *glares*

:biggrin:
Reply 9
Sounds like reward, not punishment. I'd best get my slandering hat on! :top2:
The don't do history at Oxbridge they live it.

With ferrets.
Reply 11
Chemist Boy
The don't do history at Oxbridge they live it.

With ferrets.

*chuckles*
Reply 12
I was a Cavalier.

Then the ferrets came.

Now I'm a roundhead. :frown:

Curse you, epitome!
Jewish ferrets?
Reply 14
So that's what the skull-caps were for. All the pieces are finally falling into place. Except for my piece, which will never fall into place again. :frown:
Reply 15
OP, thank you for the best thread title ever.
Reply 16
Hehehe! Love it. Derailing threads is easy, with ferrets. *glee*. Nice one, all. :biggrin:
The question may seem silly, but if you unpick it, I assume the OP is asking not whether the wars are completely ignored, but rather the extent to which they can be studied; the answer is "a fair bit, but not 'til third year" for Cambridge; I've got no idea about Oxford (but whatever they teach, it's not as good. Fact.)

To give a serious answer (that I can guarantee you does not involve a single ferret!) the Cambridge normal courses mention both in passing in first year in Papers 11 and 6, BUT this is more about the effects of the war on society and politics, respectively, rather than hardcore military history of the "21st SS Panzer Division was almost decisive at 1400 hours on 6th June 1944" school.

Having said that, third year has a few more options. The Intelligence and the Secret World paper features WWI and WWII highly, and is of course an aspect of military history rather than a study of the effects of the wars. The freedom of the Dissertation, allowing you to do anything you like as long as you can find a supervisor, means that you can debate the importance of the Ferret armoured car to the desert campaign, for example, if you so wished (Oh, damn, one managed to get in there. Oops!).
Reply 18
FTB
The question may seem silly, but if you unpick it, I assume the OP is asking not whether the wars are completely ignored, but rather the extent to which they can be studied; the answer is "a fair bit, but not 'til third year" for Cambridge; I've got no idea about Oxford (but whatever they teach, it's not as good. Fact.)

To give a serious answer (that I can guarantee you does not involve a single ferret!) the Cambridge normal courses mention both in passing in first year in Papers 11 and 6, BUT this is more about the effects of the war on society and politics, respectively, rather than hardcore military history of the "21st SS Panzer Division was almost decisive at 1400 hours on 6th June 1944" school.

Having said that, third year has a few more options. The Intelligence and the Secret World paper features WWI and WWII highly, and is of course an aspect of military history rather than a study of the effects of the wars. The freedom of the Dissertation, allowing you to do anything you like as long as you can find a supervisor, means that you can debate the importance of the Ferret armoured car to the desert campaign, for example, if you so wished (Oh, damn, one managed to get in there. Oops!).

That's a very good answer to the question you assumed the OP asked. However, I maintain that the question is, in fact, "Do either oxford or cambridge touch on the world wars in their History courses?".

The answer to which, of course, is "YES. Obviously. You just have to take the right papers".

And ferrets, obviously. :p:
Reply 19
epitome

lmao, I remember that, you were the first person ever to have a go at me on TSR as I had only joined that day and already I had buit up a bad reputaion on it :mad: lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending