The Student Room Group

Guys prom suit/tux!

Hi all,

I have my prom coming up next week and I am about to go out and hire my tux, however Im not sure what I really need to be aiming for here, a tux with a waistcoat/cumberbun/bow tie, or just a tux with a bow tie. Do I need to hire a shirt as well ? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
just wear a suit! its so much nicer on a man.
Depends what your looking for. Personally I would go with a dinner jacket (shawl collar if possible, but make sure it looks good and the botton of the lapel doesnt "sag" at the bottom, that looks crap), black bowtie, black cummerbund, and a plain white shirt (wing collared looks best). Usually all of these things come together when you hire a suit. Ps, polish your shoes, it makes a difference!
It depends what YOU want to wear.
You shouldn't aim for anything, cos then you're just copying something you've seen before and staying safe.

Go to the shop, see what looks best.
There will be people in the shop, so ask for their opinion before you actually hire it, cos obvs us on here don't know what would suit you.
:biggrin:
x
Don't wear a cummerbund unless it's brightly coloured and/or very striking otherwise you'll look very old and dated.
Reply 5
Noémie
just wear a suit! its so much nicer on a man.

Depends what the dress code is. At a formal, black tie event lounge suits are inappropriate.

Incidentally, OP, 'tuxedo' is nowadays an Americanism not used in this country - and cummerbunds are terrible - get a waistcoat.
Reply 6
AndyIsBullish
Don't wear a cummerbund unless it's brightly coloured and/or very striking otherwise you'll look very old and dated.

I must disagree, a black silk cummerbund is a great border for your body and will tuck your waist in and make you appear slimmer and taller. The first respondent's advice was sound but I would push for you to rent proper patent shoes as well; it's not often that the opportunity to sport black tie arises so you should make the most of it when it does!
Reply 7
Whatever you do don't get a tailcoat. I'm just going to wear a dinner jacket with bow tie, going to look again today actually.
Get a tux, wing-collar shirt and a bow tie. If you just want to wear a suit, then that's cool too.
Reply 9
i've got my college ball tonight. i'm just wearing a grey two piece suit and a shirt (not decided the colour yet). black polished shoes of course. tbh i don't think it matters as long as you look reasonably smart. i'm not wearing a tie/bow either

Latest

Trending

Trending