The Student Room Group

Personal Statement- Different Courses

Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone has any tips on how to write a PS, when writing for courses, which are different from each other. The difference isn't great, but it's significant enough- German v German & Beginners Russian. Basically, I was thinking about not mentioning Russian, and just plugging why I want to study other languages as I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to learn a new language as an elective or whatever they're called... Nonetheless I'm not sure if this is the right path to take and I've seen many people with signatures saying they applied to several different courses, so any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :smile:

Apologies for any really bad errors in my writing, I'm feeling a little slow today.
Reply 1
Hmm, I think I'd probably mention Russian somewhere if you're applying for courses that definitely involve it (having had the bulk of the statement focused on German, of course). Languages are subjects where people often do take more than one, so I expect it would be fine. The bit about your interest in languages in general sounds like a good idea. :smile:

In general, the key thing to do when writing a PS for different courses is to draw on their similarities and how they complement one another.
Reply 2
I'd focus the majority of the statement on German, but I'd devote some space for talking about Russian - perhaps use Russian as an example to signify your general interest in languages, mentioning any literature you've read/whatever, and how you might like to learn more languages at uni.
Focus primarily on German as this is one degree and mention Russian additionally as this will relate to your other degree. And only then should you mention other languages - this would ideally be a part of another paragraph in your statement, e.g. why do you want to do this degree and what do you hope to achieve from it/benefit from it? etc

Latest

Trending

Trending