The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ixivxivi
I think loads of people say they've read a book in their PS when they haven't. So long as you've read it by the time of interview I can't really see the prob with that.

Whilst agree with you in theory, in practice it's a bit different. Very few people manage to pput something they've not read on their PS and then read it by the time of interview. Most people don't get down to it, or don't leave themselves enough time. In this, embarrassment lies. Seriously. So be careful with that tactic...
Exaggerated, yes, leading to a small insignificant white lie. However, I also know someone who said they read book x, but didn't and only looked it up on internet, and when he was asked questions about it, this showed.
Reply 22
plagaan
if that's the case then quite a few in your year are getting in trouble. I really doubt they'd get away with it. I accidentally had the minorest of inaccuracies in my ucas form when i applied a few years ago. ucas informed my firm and insurance universities immediately. they mind because it was a minor thing, but they did find out.

What was the inaccuracy?
Reply 23
I thought you HAD to take the certificates of any stated GCSEs?!
Reply 24
Thicky
What was the inaccuracy?

put down the wrong board for one subject. ucas contacted my universities and told them that I hadn't taken that subject, or at least not with the board I said I did. I then provided them with the right details and it was all sorted.

The point is, they seem to find out about the minorest things, so if you lied about a retake I'd assume they'd find out about that too.
Ok this wasn't for Oxbridge, but I heard this from a interviewer:
Some boy applied for dentistry, and during his personal statement he said he enjoyed baking cakes and icing them properly etc... (proof he used his hands alot)
He got an interview, and they asked him to bring his portfolio. The interviewer (who told me this) is like an amateur baker; he makes cakes and stuff too. The boy brought his portfolio, and the interviewer started asking him stuff about baking techniques like how much flour he uses, his fave recipes etc... The boy didn't have a clue; it was his mums portfolio and he had no idea. Apparantly he broke down crying too. Poor boy :frown:
Reply 26
Bubbles*de*Milo
Ok this wasn't for Oxbridge, but I heard this from a interviewer:
Some boy applied for dentistry, and during his personal statement he said he enjoyed baking cakes and icing them properly etc... (proof he used his hands alot)
He got an interview, and they asked him to bring his portfolio. The interviewer (who told me this) is like an amateur baker; he makes cakes and stuff too. The boy brought his portfolio, and the interviewer started asking him stuff about baking techniques like how much flour he uses, his fave recipes etc... The boy didn't have a clue; it was his mums portfolio and he had no idea. Apparantly he broke down crying too. Poor boy :frown:

deserved everything he got. at least its a good lesson for him.
ixivxivi
I think loads of people say they've read a book in their PS when they haven't. So long as you've read it by the time of interview I can't really see the prob with that.

I did this. Two books, actually. Possibly three.
Reply 28
Common sins are exaggerating extra curricula activities (quite pointless), interest in subjects (pointless if you later realise you don't actually enjoy it), or books read. I doubt that many people actually commit major lies as it's simply not in anyone's long-term interests. If you aren't found out at interview you'll have to live with the fear you'll be found out if you get in. Personally I didn't lie as such, but I suppose like many people overstated my 'love' and 'passion' for my subject. The worst I know of is people saying they've completed awards like D of E when they haven't. It's unscrupulous, unnecessary, and probably not lethal, but exaggerating academic achievements is really very stupid.
Reply 29
I mentioned about 5 books on my ps having only read 3 of them; (though I had a pretty good idea what the others were about) like a mad thing I speed read them all before the interview, and it was just as well I did, because I was asked about all of them; that could have been really embarrassing...

I didn't lie about anything else though - I definately couldn't have lied about my grades as I would have worried continuously that they would somehow find out.
Reply 30
Everything on mine was the truth. And it's not a fantastic idea for people who actually study there or have an offer to admit they lied if its even remotely serious - there are fellows, admissions tutors and random Cambridge staff floating around on this forum and they can work out who you are.
Reply 31
Tyler Durden
It's just i heard quite a few people sometimes would tell a white lie e.g. they retook a module from a C to 90/90 (A-full marks), and would replace the remark with the original without stating it was a retake. Apparently quite a few people in my year decided to do so!

I was under the impression that you didn't have to declare a resit as long as you had done the exam within the two years of the A-level course? Whereas for a retake outside of the three years I thought you did have to declare.
Tyraell
I was under the impression that you didn't have to declare a resit as long as you had done the exam within the two years of the A-level course? Whereas for a retake outside of the three years I thought you did have to declare.

Apparently you have to mention every exam for GCSE and A-level taken for the Cambridge/Oxford application. But, many do not mention retakes i heard.
Reply 33
Tyler Durden
Apparently you have to mention every exam for GCSE and A-level taken for the Cambridge/Oxford application. But, many do not mention retakes i heard.

Glad I didn't do an resits for my application then. ^^
Reply 34
I lied about a couple of books I'd read. I'd skimmed through them but not really sat down and thought about them properly, so when I was asked about their varying interpretations of their topic it was tough going. But hey ho, I survived.

My advice? Don't bother. There's no point lying about extra-curricular stuff as they generally don't give a damn, and there's no point lying about grades/your subject/books etc because you'll generally get found out.
Reply 35
ixivxivi

Which is funny because "I have not yet read *whatever*, but plan on doing so at 3am in morning before my interview, slightly tipsy and hooked up on caffeine, whilst facebooking 5 of my friends. I may resort to SparkNotes." probably shows that you really are already preparing for a potential place at Oxbridge.

EDIT: In all seriousness, don't lie on your Personal Statement, unless it's something like "I enjoyed French" when you really mean "I ****ing hated french, I wish the whole language would die, which is why I'm not applying for it." You don't want to peak too soon - save trying to blag your way through topics with world experts for when you actually get a place.
Reply 36
ixivxivi

I put down some books I apparently read in the expectation that I would have read them until the interview but unfortunately I didn't manage to so I tried to read them on the evening before my interview. Luckily they didn't ask me about them.
Reply 37
I applied last year, and afterwards I found out that my teacher had said on the reference that I'd read a book that I actually hadn't. Not technically me lying though. And fortunately it didn't come up in the interview (not that it would have mattered now if it did. :p:)
Reply 38
I heard someone put down on his PS for french and german that he had read the entire works of Goethe...think he got asked about it as well!!
Hmm, I lied about books I'd read, then frantically read them in the few days before the interview. I think everyone over-exaggerates ECs a bit, but you'd be taking a huge risk to lie about anything major like grades/UMS etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending