The Student Room Group

Why do we go on with our everyday lives?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HappinessHappening
I carry on because this world and many of the people in it are simply beautiful and there seem to be virtually limitless possibilities.

I think this is wonderfully put.

We are all human and we live to discover new feelings, sensations, special moments, etc. that give us the drive to make ourselves (and hopefully others) content.
As humans we seem to have developed the ability to apply meanings to things, even the meaningless, ergo we live are now meaningFUL lives.
Reply 22
Original post by Of the Standard of Taste
Why do we go on with our everyday lives, not knowing why we are here?
I don't need to know why. I don't think there is a 'why' - I'm not so arrogant to think the universe was put here for me.

Why arnt we searching for answers?
I am. I never stop reading, studying, learning, debating. I should think that applies to most TSRians.

If everyone got together and shared resources maybe we could unifi physics? , Look into the biological sciences , understand the universe?
We're doing it. We call it education, writing, libraries and Wikipedia.

You get born then you eat , go to the toilet , sleep , eat , go to the toilet .Any maybe in-between the fixed code of sleeping + eating and going to the toilet, we catch a movie , go to a club , play some sports . Play a video game etc
Speak for yourself. I actively participate in two professional bodies, half a dozen charities, work full-time, doing a degree, doing the odd Coursera course for interest, currently studying philosophy and promoting alternatives to war with the time remaining.

Your life.

Your choice.
Original post by HappinessHappening
I carry on because this world and many of the people in it are simply beautiful and there seem to be virtually limitless possibilities.

I think fairly much the opposite.

I carry on because there is still much more of the certain past to be explored - in its books, buildings, paintings and even a few old, wise people (I'm not saying that oldness necessarily causes wiseness by the way- that's why I say 'a few') than the less certain future. Don't think I'm merely a history buff- far from it. The history of the modern world is most interesting to me. How the Victorians were inspired by the past to create the modern. And then modernism and postmodernism in architecture in the 20th century, before the soft hand of pastiche came in.

As for the 'beautiful' people, the truly beatuful people are often either so humble or beautiful that they are taken for granted, as if it would take a great fall for them to ever be damaged by life, a greater fall than the average person imagines their deliberate or supposedly unavoidable ignorance of them would take.

If people were so beautiful, they'd be able to come up with music like The Beatles did at the drop of a hat.

I still don't know why many people think it's acceptable not to at least try to come up with their Beatles moment or to understand the psychological factors that would have resulted in such a confluence of events that 4 lads from Liverpool could make the world scream and still be highly respected by many.

I know what the world was like in the 60s and 70s compared to now. Aside from a relative handful of creative people who have found expression through modern technology, it was easily more beautiful than today precisely because any creative statement was in contrast to the austere, even utilitarian appearance of the time- the new brutalist buildings, the old, not yet modernised streets, 4 TV channels resulting in more people fitting in to a particular group, making it easier to make properly life long friends. Just listen to some of the music. Hippies and punks alike singing from a similar songsheet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Simes
We're doing it. We call it education, writing, libraries and Wikipedia.
We're not doing it enough, and I feel it has also been stunted by current legislation. With you say education I think school, and there just an indoctrination process, to make us mindless consumers. Libraries? yeah we have the british library and wikipedia.

Original post by Simes
Your life.

Your choice.
I little misleading, we are all interconnected. We don't have as much choice as we could.
Why do we go on with our everyday lives, not knowing why we are here?
We walk talk avoid death , like we know why we are here.
Why arnt we searching for answers? If everyone got together and shared resources maybe we could unifi physics? , Look into the biological sciences , understand the universe?

You get born then you eat , go to the toilet , sleep , eat , go to the toilet .Any maybe in-between the fixed code of sleeping + eating and going to the toilet, we catch a movie , go to a club , play some sports . Play a video game etc

I go on with my life everyday because it's exciting. The world is searching for answers, just not the answers you hoped were true. The world knows better than to try and search for purpose because the universe has demonstrated thousands of times before that it simply doesn't give a rats behind about us. There is no purpose so why bother to search for one? Now that would be wasting our lives, waking up doing the some thing with no end in sight.

Mankind is plagued with a thing called insecurity. On a planet where we are the be all and end all, where we are the kings, where we decide what lives or dies we simply cannot accept that we don't have some sort of control / purpose in the universe. Where the universe is concerned, we are that mosquito that is squished. Science is trying desperately to find answers to the universe but the sooner mankind accepts that those answers are not the ones we hope for, the sooner people will stop looking to the universe for purpose. Your purpose is to help towards the development / well-being of mankind, the future of our species and the advance of technology which can help hundreds of millions of people around the world who need it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending