The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

“Special Consideration”

Hi,

Basically right before my A-Level exams this summer, my grandfather (whom I was very close to) passed away which had a massive psychological impact on me and I could not concerate on my revisions and stuff but I still tried to do my best. My college made an application for “special consideration” to AQA (my exam board) on my behalf.

Does anyone know what difference this letter would make?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

;console; its a hard event to deal with.

It can make quite a difference if you have applied to uni already because if you miss your offer by one grade, sometimes that can mean that you will still be accepted into the course. You should also contact your Firm and Insurance ASAP to tell them about this because they will need to know and if they know now it will be better than right on results day, because that way it won't seem like you are using it as an excuse for missing your offer.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
The Sherminator
;console; its a hard event to deal with.

It can make quite a difference if you have applied to uni already because if you miss your offer by one grade, sometimes that can mean that you will still be accepted into the course. You should also contact your Firm and Insurance ASAP to tell them about this because they will need to know and if they know now it will be better than right on results day, because that way it won't seem like you are using it as an excuse for missing your offer.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks mate.

I’ve already emailed my firm, they said they’d take it into consideration when they receive my results in August. I didn’t bother to email my insurance as I had already met their offer even before my summer exams.

What I’m not sure about is, say I get 470 UMS in my exam, if I have been predicted an A for that subject, as I have made an application for special consideration to AQA, would they change the grade to an A, as my performance would’ve been affected by the circumstances.
Coupe19
Thanks mate.

I’ve already emailed my firm, they said they’d take it into consideration when they receive my results in August. I didn’t bother to email my insurance as I had already met their offer even before my summer exams.

What I’m not sure about is, say I get 470 UMS in my exam, if I have been predicted an A for that subject, as I have made an application for special consideration to AQA, would they change the grade to an A, as my performance would’ve been affected by the circumstances.

I have heard that they can improve your result by 2% I think (not sure about that, but remember reading it somewhere) so it would improve to an A if you were 2% below 480.

But special consideration would be more useful to get onto the course at uni because if you did have 470 UMS and you explained your situation then they would certainly consider you.

How did you feel about the exams, do you think you came close to the offer or a far off? If it is close, then don't worry because you will have a very high chance of acceptance even if you missed the offer slightly, but if you think the gap is large, then it depends on how they view your situation.
Reply 4
you should have applied for this before you started your exams. to me it looks like an excuse for predicted bad exam performance.
Reply 5
madima
you should have applied for this before you started your exams. to me it looks like an excuse for predicted bad exam performance.

If you got nothing useful to say, please keep “what it looks like to you” to yourself.

Thanks!
Reply 6
I recall my exams officer saying that potentially, depending on the specific circumstances, they can increase your mark by up to 5% of what you actually achieved.
Reply 7
madima

Are you an examiner?
Yes you need to apply for this as it can boost your marks from anything from 1-5%.

You should apply as soon as you possibly can though, otherwise it may not be properly considered.
Reply 9
vixky!
Are you an examiner?

no. i am a human; humans can think as well as memorise rules. i'm sure the examiner is human too.
Reply 10
madima
no. i am a human; humans can think as well as memorise rules. i'm sure the examiner is human too.

You're making very little sense...

I'm glad you can memorise rules, but considering you're not an examiner, how do you know what the supposed rules are? How can you apply them to someone's situation when you're not an examiner? It's not your business to say that it sounds like an excuse so I suggest you don't!

Losing someone is very upsetting. To lose someone during exam period is awful. Someone saying it just sounds like they're using it as an excuse is disrespectful and unreasonable so please keep that in mind.
Reply 11
vixky!
You're making very little sense...

I'm glad you can memorise rules, but considering you're not an examiner, how do you know what the supposed rules are? How can you apply them to someone's situation when you're not an examiner? It's not your business to say that it sounds like an excuse so I suggest you don't!

Losing someone is very upsetting. To lose someone during exam period is awful. Someone saying it just sounds like they're using it as an excuse is disrespectful and unreasonable so please keep that in mind.

Thank you, Vicky (and everyone)! Everyone's been very helpful!
By the way, the application has already been made by my college about 2-3 weeks ago.

Just ignore the idiot (madima)! I certainly have!!!! He thinks he could neg me but it's only come up as neutral as his rep so **** ,he's not able to give anyone any negative rep.
You get the UMS marks on your sheet so if you miss it by a bit the best thing to do is ring up on the day and persuade them that its not much. I've heard of people getting into their uni with a whole grade below the offer before.
If you saw anyone medical, for like counselling, or anything like that you should get a letter written by them too. Its not neccesary but it makes things alot more official, the college doesn't know how bad you were but the doctor would of, and will have notes etc. as proof.
I guess you could also try to arrange an interview with the university to explain things face to face, and to demonstrate some skills aswell.
Reply 13
I told my head of year at sixth-form about my situation and my mum wrote her a letter. I have no idea if they asked if I could get special consideration though.

Sorry for thread hijack, but should I ask them to ask for special consideration? Got nothing to loose?
Reply 14
The previous thing about 1-5% is correct, it's on the website somewhere.

However 5% is for things like immediate family passing away or diagnosed with terminal illness before or during exams. A friend of mine applied for it during his GCSEs as his grandma passed away 2 weeks before, and he didn't get it as it wasn't immediate family :frown: So you'll be looking at around 2-3% maybe?

However stay hopeful 'cos that was GCSEs and I don't know whether they use the same criteria to award the percentages.

It's good to have phoned the uni early, as you've let them know before results day I'd say you have a very good chance of getting in anyway, depending on how competitive the course is.

Really sorry about your grandfather too :frown: :hugs: well done for getting through your exams in the first place and I hope it all works out for you!

xx
Reply 15
eDDeboo
I told my head of year at sixth-form about my situation and my mum wrote her a letter. I have no idea if they asked if I could get special consideration though.

Sorry for thread hijack, but should I ask them to ask for special consideration? Got nothing to loose?

You have to do it within 7 days of your last exam.
Reply 16
madima

Yes, predicted bad exam performance due to losing someone close!

That's what special consideration is, so if you have nothing constructive to say to the OP don't say it >.<
Reply 17
emma_wemma
Yes, predicted bad exam performance due to losing someone close!

That's what special consideration is, so if you have nothing constructive to say to the OP don't say it >.<

I think he was implying "why didn't you tell them about this before the exams?". If you know something is going to affect results, the sooner you let them know the better.

I had the same thing in January. My Differential Equations exam was a disaster; my grandfather died on the exact same day. I couldn't concentrate at all (and believe me, for DE you need concentration), so I ended up with a C. I didn't bother applying for consideration, though; I just applied for a retake. No 5% margin was going to do me justice for the final grade, so it really wasn't worth it. Unfortunately, for the OP this clearly isn't an option, as it's the final exams. Frankly, exam board special consideration isn't going to be very useful. With a max 5% increase, when circumstances can change your grades by something closer to 50%, it's the universities who you should worry about. You've already told your firm, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it for now. They should be sympathetic, but obviously it depends on the popularity of the course.
Reply 18
I don't see why they should change your actual grade. I can understand a university looking at you more leniently, that is fair enough, however if you took a maths exam and got 75 UMS i do not think it is fair for them to then give you 80 UMS, because that is not what you achieved. You have a reason for not achieving it, which should be taken into account by the universities, but i do not think you should suddenly receive more points as if you'd answered more correctly. I know i am not an examiner but i think if you receive an A and you actually only got a B, then the whole system is devalued.
Coupe19
Thank you, Vicky (and everyone)! Everyone's been very helpful!
By the way, the application has already been made by my college about 2-3 weeks ago.

Just ignore the idiot (madima)! I certainly have!!!! He thinks he could neg me but it's only come up as neutral as his rep so **** ,he's not able to give anyone any negative rep.

Whilst I don't agree with Madima negging you (?!), I do think that he had a valid point. The exam board will probably get hundreds of people claiming that aunts/grandfathers/goldfish have died if they feel that their grades are in jeopardy. I know that losing relatives is a terrible thing - I have gone through it myself - but telling them before you took your exams would probably make your argument look more convincing and lead to a better chance of the exam board siding with you.
That is all.

Latest