The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Pray4Me
I just like to know how many people have taken Physics and Maths and achieved a A at it at A levels... And how does maths 'Help' Physics... Has anyone carageously taken up Physics without maths and able to get a A...?

I do both, maths doesnt really help with physics that much at A level, maybe some parts ie mechanics it is useful but not essiential, if you have a good base at GCSE maths then the maths in physics is no problem. But why choose between maths and physics anyway? do both. Afterall if u want to follow physics to higher level then you will need both subjects.
Reply 2
If you do take maths make sure you take the mechanics modules rather than stats becuase you'll find them easier and probably more interesting.
Reply 3
:tsr: <<<<<WTF is this?!?!

anyway................

I say you should take both but getting an A in one without the other is quite easily done. Physics, there are a lot of rearranging equations, but apart from that, maths didn't help me with physics much. If you wish to persue a future in any of them then I'd say take both as they look good together side by side.

By the way it's spelt 'courageously' lol
Reply 4
MRLX69
. If you wish to persue a future in any of them then I'd say take both as they look good together side by side.

Seconded and I think most 'good' unis say you need to have both even if they aren't both A's.
Reply 5
I did both and got A's. I also did Further Maths and got an A in that too.

While I don't think the mathematical content of A-Level physics is of such a level that you need A-Level Maths, if you want to do it at university then A-Level maths is required.
Reply 6
i took physics because i like it .. maths because it would help but it aint so far...
Reply 7
at a-level M1 and the Forces in Motion Physics unit complement each other but most of the maths involved is rearranging simple formulae
Reply 8
but maths helps you understand some concepts easier, such as radioactive decay/capacitance.
Reply 9
I took Maths because I thought it would go better with my other 'arty' subjects than Physics. Have you chosen your subjects yet? What other ones are you doing/thinking of doing?

Latest