The Student Room Group

Laptop - Keeps going down - seems like key is stuck but isn't ..

Hey all

I have a medion laptop -

about an hour ago, the webpage I was on kept on scrolling down - like im pressing the down arrow - but im not :s-smilie: - Now its doing it pretty much all the time, whatever im on, and itll stop for about a minute if I press the up key a few times

I tried restarting, when it started to load, this really loud beeping came on - because the down key was being "pressed" - I pressed up a few times then the beeping went off and it loaded

Ive taken the key off, and its not dirty and nothings stuck there

Not sure what else to do : /

Anyone have any ideas? I would give pos rep, but its worth jack shiz, so you can have my love instead

Cheers
Reply 1
been using the touchpad thing recently, but I can use a mouse
Reply 2
it isn't the page down button because it selects every single thing down the list, when I press page down it brings the page down, doesnt select every single thing

Im pretty sure scroll lock isnt on

I just disabled the touch pad, see if that makes a difference
Reply 3
okay that didnt work :s-smilie:
Reply 4
mine does this sometimes, are you using firefox? i usually just AltF4 it and try again, neve rhad the beep thing tho
Reply 5
sticky keys isnt on

it happens whatever browser im on, and even in the start menu - just hold the down key - it does that - whatever im doing on the laptop

hmm

is there any way to disable keys on the keyboard?
Reply 6
What, it like, highlights everything down the page?
Reply 7
no

just hold down on your keyboard

thats what it does
Reply 8
I see. Sorry I can't be more help, I think this has happened to me before. I just tend to mess around loads with the keyboard bit and it usually sorts itself out :p: You're 100% the down key isn't stuck?
Reply 9
none of those worked, and nope havnt installed any third party things

aggghhh

are there any programs you know of to disable keys?
Reply 10
already done that mate lol

right I just downloaded a program to change the down arrow to numbr 8 on the num pad

but now lol

every so often it keeps typing number 8 :/

so its defo the down arrow that is messed up then :/
Reply 11
caret browsing?
the down key is buggered. I have no fancy solution sorry.
The_Goose
the down key is buggered. I have no fancy solution sorry.

To be honest, from what I've read, this is the solution. It's a hardware problem, not a software problem. Buy an air duster and really clear out the keys once and for all.
Reply 14
well its worth trying out all other possible solutions just in case

atleast I now know that its defo the down key thats messed up

thanks for your help spikey
Reply 15
I have exactly the same problem, the down key appears to be stuck whenever I boot up, all it requires is a tap on the down key and then the up and it's fixed. I've searched everywhere - must be a software fault? (Acer Aspire 6935g running vista, AVG anti-virus)
I had this problem with my windows key. Googled how to disable it, disabled it, all was fine. Though occasionally it would be "held down" on startup so I'd have to restart. (Acer Aspire 6930G)

Reinstalled windows and it stopped happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending