The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dislike Welsh nationalists. But that's due to one particularly unimpressive/unpleasant Plaid AM who visited our school. Still, generally speaking I have no time for people who pin all of Wales's problems on central government.

Wales is quite a varied place. People in England probably don't realise the difference between where I live, say, and the North West. It's like they're speaking a different language :wink:
I'm not liking the assumption that people dislike each other generally.
I was always under the impression that we were all friends.

Naive? Inform me please, lol.

I am a very proud Welsh girl, love my country and my people.
But I love my English aswell, loads of my friends are, I'm going to uni in England, I'm going to embrace it :biggrin:

Weren't we done with hating each other in the medieval times?
Welsh? Hate em!

:p:
History Lost in Physics
Ah yes - sea breeze... I live in Weston so I really can't call it elitism...

I love in Mumbles dahling, prices are roughly the same as London house price and every other price wise.....so much so that the somerfield here pays its workers the same amount they do as in inner london.

Except that its a village, filled with gossiping bigots :smile:
Captain Biggles
I love the Welsh. They're probably the best nationality in the British Isles. Never visited the place, but the people I've met who are Welsh supply the best banter around. :yy:

:love: I will thank you on msn later :p:

I don't understand people saying they hate Wales as a country, there is a reason so many people go on holiday to wales or go walking/hiking/climbing/camping in wales or go driving in Wales... it is simply gorgeous in parts. Shame I didn't realise that until I left though.

Anyway I always thought the english vs welsh dislike was a bit of banter, but since moving to uni I have met a couple of english people (coincidently all southeners, but I'm sure that's nothing more than coincidence) who have had a general dislike for me being Welsh. I won them round though, after a while :smile:

I think for anyone to hate anyone because of their nationality is crazy.
Reply 105
I LOVE the welsh and i go there regularly and now can do a very convincing south wales accent love the welsh the place the people the talk :biggrin:
Music Is My Boyfriend
I'm not liking the assumption that people dislike each other generally.
I was always under the impression that we were all friends.

Naive? Inform me please, lol.

I am a very proud Welsh girl, love my country and my people.
But I love my English aswell, loads of my friends are, I'm going to uni in England, I'm going to embrace it :biggrin:

Weren't we done with hating each other in the medieval times?

I think that most people like each other, it's just a lot of them are persuaded by various factors to pre judge others for their nationality/religion etc
Reilly
I love in Mumbles dahling, prices are roughly the same as London house price and every other price wise.....so much so that the somerfield here pays its workers the same amount they do as in inner london.

Except that its a village, filled with gossiping bigots :smile:

You're from the Mumbles ???? Woa family connections - my grandfather was brought up there - found a mammoth skeleton in a cave on the road up to the gower :biggrin:
I'm Welsh, but not overly nationalistic or anti-English. In fact I'm not either at ALL.

I dislike the valleys though, and before anyone attacks me as being prejudiced, I live in one of the worst areas of the valleys so have the right to have a negative opinion of it. I can't wait to go to uni and get out of here, it's so rough and lots of people are... well, I'm not even going to type it or I'll be neg repped as a snob before you can say "oh butt, ya muvaaaa"...
Personally, I feel sympathy for the English for not living in Wales, they're mainly lovely people, and they deserve lovely hillsides and non-competitive schools, and so on. Wales as a physical entity is much nicer than England, but England has a lot more going on, and there's obviously more to it because it's bigger.
I go to uni in Wales, they're ok... No worse than English people as a generalisation, probably better actually.
PoisonDonna

I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation. :wink:

Shall I bring anything? :p:
PoisonDonna

I don't understand people saying they hate Wales as a country, there is a reason so many people go on holiday to wales or go walking/hiking/climbing/camping in wales or go driving in Wales... it is simply gorgeous in parts. Shame I didn't realise that until I left though.

Anyway I always thought the english vs welsh dislike was a bit of banter, but since moving to uni I have met a couple of english people (coincidently all southeners, but I'm sure that's nothing more than coincidence) who have had a general dislike for me being Welsh. I won them round though, after a while :smile:

I think for anyone to hate anyone because of their nationality is crazy.

The english are subconciously terrified that the welsh will claim back what is rightfully theirs and kick the english out :wink:
I'm welsh and hate having the welsh language rammed down my throat, I'm beginning to feel a foreigner in my own country.:frown:
Echolife
I'm welsh and hate having the welsh language rammed down my throat, I'm beginning to feel a foreigner in my own country.:frown:

Shoved down your throat? I'd say that, beyond GCSE, no one would ever do that, unless you live in a particularly Welshy part of North Wales with grumpy farmers.
RightSaidJames
Shoved down your throat? I'd say that, beyond GCSE, no one would ever do that, unless you live in a particularly Welshy part of North Wales with grumpy farmers.

Or the crazed nationalists who spray paint road signs :p:
Reply 116
Well, I live in a border town and they're always trying to bloody sack and pillage it. Bloody Owain, when I get my hands on him I'll give him such a slapping.
EducatingBrogan
Or the crazed nationalists who spray paint road signs :p:

That sounds like quite a good idea, actually. Confuse the English :biggrin:
Reply 118
The Welsh might be the butt of jokes because of their tiny country and funny accents, but nobody with any brains actually genuinely has anything against them.
RightSaidJames

Well I find it annoying if you ring up college/council they speak in Welsh first. All literature is in both languages, what a waste.

Latest

Trending

Trending