The Student Room Group
Reply 1
TakemetoAvalon
I've applied to Cam, and I was wondering, just out of interest, what the network there is like (eg. room connections) for people with laptops..
Being Cam and all, I'm willing to bet you get a decent speed etc. but are there any filters on the internet (ie. ftp access, p2p)...

La de da de da. erm.. oh, I also heard someone talking about file sharing through the network (just file transfer). Anyways, thanks.

Avalon

the network is really fast and pretty good as far as uptime goes. what you can do with it depends on colleges - some charge for overuse by GB of bandwidth, etc, and some just charge loads in the first place. you should be ok with ftp access (i have been, at least). i think most colleges check computers at the start of the year & wipe p2p software. they can tell what you're doing on the internet; they don't care so much about internal transfers because it's free but if you upload/download loads of stuff to/from external sources they'll get a bit pissed off! not to mention that it's illegal...some colleges have gone as far as to ban msn so that students can't send each other files over that *coughhomertoncough*. but to be honest, the network is good value, and if you don't go over the top with usage then you shouldn't have any problems using it.
Reply 2
i read on trinity´s webpage that you are supposed to keep network traffic under 3gb/day and that you need to sign an agreement for not using p2p software. i guess you can still use it if you keep your traffic under the radar. also, you are not allowed to use network sniffers or do spoofing or anything like that.
Reply 3
the networks are very very fast. Dont worry about speed, it will be faster than you will have at home by a long stretch.

As for file sharing (externally such as kazaa) the college IT departments are able to find about it immediatly. Then depending on what college you either get a warning and then the second time a ban. Dont bother trying to use p2p.
Reply 4
lessthanthree
no winmx?
no MSN>?!!?!?!?
;_; sad bunny.

you can use msn. as long as you don't go to homerton. :wink:
Reply 5
oh dear. i had no idea and i've been using winmx... i'm hoping that it's just different here.
Reply 6
amateurish
you can use msn. as long as you don't go to homerton. :wink:

Noooooo. Why Homerton, WHY???
Reply 7
Rudess

Because people can use it to share files, no really!

The original poster is applying to Jesus I think, I hear that that's one of the most locked down networks and is totally NAT'd and firewalled unlike most colleges. Apparently there's a 8GB per month cap and last year was the most expensive per term in Cambridge. 8GB sounds a lot, but on a 100MBit connection it really isn't :wink:.

Alaric.
Alaric
Because people can use it to share files, no really!

The original poster is applying to Jesus I think, I hear that that's one of the most locked down networks and is totally NAT'd and firewalled unlike most colleges. Apparently there's a 8GB per month cap and last year was the most expensive per term in Cambridge. 8GB sounds a lot, but on a 100MBit connection it really isn't :wink:.

Alaric.

Sweet! I'm sure I'll be able to get some bittorrent usage :rolleyes:
100mbit sounds excellent... enough to stream a DVD per day if it's a 8gig limit... hmmm... dreams...

do you think Cam will mind if I port scan them? lol.

well, I'm going for Jesus, but if it is so expensive, I'll haul my laptop to the library and steal a connection for a few hours.. hehe.
Reply 9
TakemetoAvalon
do you think Cam will mind if I port scan them? lol.

They do, if your connection is port scanned they email you to ask if you know why etc and they do 'friendly probing' within the network to detect servers running etc.

A.
Reply 10
are servers allowed to run?
Reply 11
xyro
are servers allowed to run?

Depends what they are / what they're for. You have to ask permission.

A few colleges have their own student run servers for college societies and members, there's also the srcf which is a uni wide student server.

A.
Reply 12
At Catz:

- Can download stuff from british websites (blueyonder) at around 4Mb/s. The beauty is if you start lots of downloads they all download at 4Mb/s. . .so its basically limited by the other end :-). Overseas is usually 2-3MB/s
- About 25 quid a term.
- No filtering. They occassionally have words with people over file sharing but only if you knock up huge bandwidth. Tbh if your at uni sat in your room downloading illegal music/video you need to get out more! There is so much stuff to do you wont get bored
Reply 13
if i should get to cam, i´d like to run a webserver, port 80. just for hosting my personal website.
Reply 14
no point....you can get free webserver from the srcf, that's up all the time!

but if you insist on having the server running off your local machine, they'll set up a route for you!
Reply 15
Rudess

you can use webmessenger at homerton, and share music over the network with itunes.

then get a program called myTunes to download music.
So can someone tell me what the net connection in Jesus is likely to cost?

Can students upload things to the server?

Can I use MSN in Jesus?

Nice site, Alaric. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending