The Student Room Group

Getting out of a house contract

I signed a contract a couple of months ago for a house in september in Longsight Manchester, but i don't wanna live there now! what do I do?? The landlord (whos totally ignorant) is trying to make me pay for the full year, even though i don;t want to live there... also i think the contract hes done is a bit dodgey, he already has a deposit type thing so i'd rather he kept that and i just left the contract!

please help!!

are there any easy ways to get out for a student?
just explain it, tell him u didnt make the required academic to progress, hence u been kicked outta uni. Hence ur goin back home.
Is a longshot bt cud work!!

x
Reply 2
Why don't you want to live there? Housemates?
Reply 3
Have you read your contract through thoroughly? He's probably right that you have to pay, actually. Why's he ignorant? He probably knows his contracts inside out.

You should carefully read your contract. A lot of landlords will allow you to find a replacement to take over the tenancy. Basically, you have to pay rent unless you can find (or he can find) a new tenant to take over for the rest of the 12 month period. He'll have to approve who you find for him, but it'd be a good idea to check you can do that, and start advertising! It will save a lot of money, obviously.
Sorry mate, but as you've signed the contract which is legally binding document you have to pay the rent whether you are living there or not. I asked and was told i would still have to pay the rent when i wanted to move out of my house in January so stayed cos i couldn't afford two lots of rent and my housemate moved out in April and had to carry on paying up til June.
Reply 5
Student contracts are normally so ridiculously long and strong they'd make most people cry.

Unless you can find a replacement your probably stuck
You will probably have to pay even if you don't live there unless you find someone to replace you. It's only fair really. One of my housemates for next year isn't coming back and I am not prepared to pay a share of her rent so even if she doesn't live there she is paying.
Unlucky really. I have a really nice landlord who I have been with for 3 years. In my first year 2 girls really wanted to be in halls and they moved out when there were rooms available on campus. My landlord wasn't too happy with not being able to get a full years rent on 2 rooms but he let them get out of the contract by keeping their deposit, making sure their rent was fully paid up until they left and that they paid their share of the bills. Luckily we didn't have to make up the rent as we're not on a joint tenancy agreement.

I think it's a bit extreme really because surely there is is still a lot of time to find another person to live in your room.

Latest

Trending

Trending