The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Geography
Politics / History

Maybe?
I would say to definitely do 5, if the workload becomes too much you can always drop one. But by doing 5 you'll leave your options open and as you say you're determined and acadmic you should be ok :smile:
As you say you don't enjoy scientific subjects maybe you should give another thought to your career path but if you're really intent on becoming a doctor then you should take both chemistry and biology. Maybe take both politics and geography as you enjoy them both and because politics is seen as a contrast to the science subjects. And then if you want to take 5 subjects then you can choose another subject that you really enjoy. If you want to leave your options open then maybe do maths, especially because you're considering medicine but as long as you have biology and chemistry in there you'll be fine.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
I don't think 5 AS's is good, simply because you're doing really intensive subjects. If you do 2 sciences, you shouldn't do 5 AS's it'll kill you!
And performing subjects too; they take up ALOT of time. You have to do practises and performances and stay after school so many times, the amount of time you spend on them is much more than other subjects.
Reply 4
OK, well I've gleaned a bit of advice from your signature, and it seems like you're really not sure. If you do French and English Lit, as you suggested, these are both extremely highly respected by universities for any course. It seems like a good idea to take 5 because you really don't seem sure of anything. Chemistry will be absolutely essential for medicine, so take that, and also Biology could help for this. Consider Maths, because this is a very versatile A-level that's respected for pretty much any course. Politics is well respected, as is Geography. Another really well respected A-level by universities which isn't mentioned is History. You've got a huge choice, and if I were you I'd do two "sciences" and two or three "arts" to keep your options open.
Reply 5
affinity89
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Geography
Politics / History

Maybe?

Noooo but Lit and French are certain!
:frown:
affinity89
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Geography
Politics / History

Maybe?

Ooooh, I loved a handmaid's tale; like the most amazing, thought provoking book ever (imo). But I don't know anyone who's read it :frown:

*Points to your siggy*
Reply 7
tommmmmmmmmm
OK, well I've gleaned a bit of advice from your signature, and it seems like you're really not sure. If you do French and English Lit, as you suggested, these are both extremely highly respected by universities for any course. It seems like a good idea to take 5 because you really don't seem sure of anything. Chemistry will be absolutely essential for medicine, so take that, and also Biology could help for this. Consider Maths, because this is a very versatile A-level that's respected for pretty much any course. Politics is well respected, as is Geography. Another really well respected A-level by universities which isn't mentioned is History. You've got a huge choice, and if I were you I'd do two "sciences" and two or three "arts" to keep your options open.

yeh that is what i was thinknig...

lit, french, geog, chem and bio???

or maybe maths instead of chem, because i enjoy it alot more, and it's good for econ or geography...? But chem really is essential; i'm not sure of it because i ahted my gcse chem teacher, next yr new college tho, and my induction is in the morning... I have enjoyed biology tho, always have, and it's fascinating and some of my friends are doing chem purely because they want to do vet med or dentistry, depsite them not loving it and instead loving maths and bio like me.

History was something i thought of, but it's in small text like psych becuase i've never done it before and it's quite an after thought. i gave up history in yr 9, altho i did get level 8s in it and i enjoyed it. Performance is basically a no, although i'm predicted to get full marks in my drama gcse making it my best subject, and most enjoyed... i do drama outside of school and dancing and singing lessons, and i will have literature to keep my option for drama at university.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

i don't know....
If you're considering medicine, pick both Chemistry and Biology.

Those two with French and English have your doors pretty wide open.

I'd then choose out of history, politics and maths. I take maths and love it, and History involves alot of reading but can be a nice break from the sciences. Politics I don't do but wish I did, if you're into reading and the world around you, that might be a good idea.

I just read the other posts. You seem to like Maths, so, I'd go for that. Biology can be VERY tedious at times, and I imagine even more as next year the content is going to be watered down, but, alot of the time enjoyable...me picking it was pretty much impulse and I'd say best choice I made. And yes, Chem as you said is essential, so, I would rank picking that priority.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Ooooh, I loved a handmaid's tale; like the most amazing, thought provoking book ever (imo). But I don't know anyone who's read it :frown:

*Points to your siggy*

Lol.

It is fantastic. I read it this weekend because a couple of my friends did English Literature and it was one of their texts - they recommended it.

In reference to the OP:

Chemistry
Biology
French
English

And then Geography or Politics.

Maybe?
Reply 10
If you swap Chemistry for something, kiss goodbye any hopes of doing Medicine.

hazzypants

lit, french, geog, chem and bio???

Sounds a great choice, actually.
Reply 11
I would say Eng Lit, French, Maths, Biology and Chemistry?
Reply 12
I.c.t
Business
Sociology
Psychology

Your Laffing Go Go Go Go
From the sounds of it, you're looking at English Lit, French, Chemistry, Biology and then any one of Maths, Geography, Politics etc. TBH, I don't really see what use Politics or Geography would be career-wise/course wise...unless you wanted to do Geography at uni, there are very few courses that would require these two A levels - whereas Maths would help with many courses. MBC, F and Lit would give a good balance of science/arts, have the doors open to Drama, Languages, Medicine courses etc., as well as having five VERY respected A levels.
Reply 14
I would say

French
Eng Lit
Bio
Chem

i dont really think 5 as is worth it, personaly
I did 5 AS's (how do you pluralise an abbreviation) and it weren't that bad. Maths and further maths are pretty much the same subject though, but I did 3 sciences, 3 courseworks all at the same time, and many exams within a few days, and none of it seemed hugely bad. I dropped to 4 A2's and the free periods got boring to be honest, I'd rather of spent that time in a revision session or something. My grades were fine too, I messed up biology a bit but I wasn't interested, if I was it would of been better.

I'm not sure about your choices, I can only say get as much information as you can about each subject at AS/A2 and see if you like it. Obviously with your GCSE grades most the teachers will say the same thing, that you'd do well on the course, but its probably worth talking to them anyway. Also you can change your AS's in the first few weeks if you really want to, so don't panic too much if you think you accidentally mispelled one of your choices or something.
My friend who applied to UCL, Oxford and Cambridge did 5 ASs and 4 A2s. When he came to apply for university he was told he only needed 3 A Levels, so basically his 4th was a waist of time.
Reply 17
Original Legend
My friend who applied to UCL, Oxford and Cambridge did 5 ASs and 4 A2s. When he came to apply for university he was told he only needed 3 A Levels, so basically his 4th was a waist of time.

Can you apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same year for your first degree? :unsure:
No, 5 A Levels is not a good idea, I tried it and it is definitely too much of a workload, you need to concentrate on 4 subjects at the most, instead of getting 5 mediocre grades at the end of it all.

I'm a huge advocate of taking History (because it's the greatest subject there is, bar Eng Lit), but more seriously, it is a highly respected subject, and compliments English well. Take one Science if you're into Science, Maths is another great subject.

It all depends on what you like, and what you're hoping to do in the future (If you've already said this then apologies, I didn't read your whole post, just your sig)
Oh, and don't do any subjects you strongly dislike, unless you absolutely need them for your career/job in prospect.

Latest