The Student Room Group

"Getting Fit Over The Summer" Thread

For all those who are off to uni or just trying to fulfill a long standing promise to lose weight, tone up, bulk out or just gain fitness over the summer.

This will probably be a complete waste of time but may as well try. Post what your trying to achieve and how/what you are going to do to try and do this. You can post weekly updates or even pixs and compare your progress to others that are doing the same or similar things.

Good luck to you all, I'll need it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't need to lose weight 'cause even now I only weigh 10st but I'm going to try and tone up; I don't get all that much exercise at the mo.

How? Probably do reps of pressups and sit-ups each day. That'll help - I used to try and do it daily but could never make it a routine thing. I'm going to try for that this time.
Reply 2
continuing rippetoe progression. Aiming for another 20lbs,
Squat 135kg
Bench 80kg
Deadlift 175kg
Powerclean 80kg
Military Press 50kg
Reply 3
Well my plan is at this stage. Cardio for 1 hour a day, probably a run but looking into biking around my local area, can always mix and match. Improving the diet, not dieting just cutting out everything thats not good, even giving up sugar in my tea. Hopefully if I see any improvement by around mid August i'll power onto the weights. I'll be doing this at the same time as cardio, but emphasis on that instead of bulking up. The problem is whenever I have started there is always something on that breaks it up for a day or two then all concentration is lost. Not this time.

My target is to have a good body by christmas. I've got a really nice shirt that I want to be able to look good in. Thats the aim.
Reply 4
I used to be able to run around my town before I went to uni (about a 5 mile round trip), but a 9 month sedentary lifestyle at uni has all but killed that. Started again about 3 weeks ago and I've managed to get back up to running for 5 minutes at a time, then walking for 3, then repeat for 20-30 minutes.

3 nights a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I might do the same in the morning of those days as well. As long as I have a days rest in between I should do okay. It's not so much muscle soreness that worries me, it's the fact that when I first started running about 2 years ago. after a few months I got a bit cocky and went out every night. Within 2 weeks my knees started to ache, and I had to stop for a while.

...I hope those farm dogs I always had to sprint past are dead now :mad: Or just too old to chase me.
Reply 5
I'm joining a gym tomorrow!
Reply 6
Joined the gym. Been eating healthy and hitting the gym 4 days a week for the past 2 weeks. Generally doing about 1hr 30mins of cardio per gym day. On the other days I just walk in my local area.
In the past two weeks i've lost 5lbs.
Aiming for 2lbs per week.
So hopefully 8st 7 by September
Start weight 9st 9.
Reply 7
Trying to keep up my thrice weekly gym & daily pressup, dumbell and situp routine, but the break in my extremely busy schedule has brought me down to almost complete inactivity and I'm struggling to motivate myself, whereas before I was constantly on the move and never even had to think about it; got in at night after work/uni, made my dinner and then jumped into a workout.
Going to Cardiff Uni in September, and want to get fit for then...

Planning to do cardio for around an hour each day....combination of bike and running probs....and eat much healthier...
My main target is to just stick to my plan. I want to increase my aerobic fitness over the summer and go as close to 6:30 on the rowing machine for 2k as possible.
helraizer
I don't need to lose weight 'cause even now I only weigh 10st but I'm going to try and tone up; I don't get all that much exercise at the mo.

How? Probably do reps of pressups and sit-ups each day. That'll help - I used to try and do it daily but could never make it a routine thing. I'm going to try for that this time.

i used to way 10stone ..but then again i'm a girl..so thats worse:frown:
me me me! summer isnt until the end of july though :frown:

need to reduce bodyfat and gain some sexy muscle :p:
Reply 12
Planning on losing a stone before going back to uni in September, started at 14st 8 and have lost 4lb in the 1st week due to manual work and gymming. Will probably slow down but try to maintain 2lb a week and see how it goes :biggrin:
Went for my first run this morning. Got up at 6:30am especially.

Feel so much better for it. :biggrin:
Good luck to the rest of you. :smile:
Reply 14
I know what u mean I love the feeling after working out :biggrin:

Btw how do I get one of those weight loss avatar thingys?? gl 2 u also!
Reply 15
Hopefully getting my bench from 3x10 at 62.5 to 80 by the end of summer, along with bulking & ripping up.

Optimistic i know.. Currently taking phd pharma, creatine monohydrate, may start on lean system 7 a few weeks before the holiday. not sure though.
Cate15
Joined the gym. Been eating healthy and hitting the gym 4 days a week for the past 2 weeks. Generally doing about 1hr 30mins of cardio per gym day. On the other days I just walk in my local area.
In the past two weeks i've lost 5lbs.
Aiming for 2lbs per week.
So hopefully 8st 7 by September
Start weight 9st 9.

wow im doing exactly the same thing as you! and my start weight is also 9st 9 and my 'want to be weight' is also 8st 7, weird.
Reply 17
i've joined gym...goin 5 days a week either swimmin, gym or other workout class, have lost 6lb in last 2 weeks, wanna get to 8st by october (now 8st 12)
Reply 18
Playing silly amounts of football.
Reply 19
I lifted like 2 bottles of nail varnish remover today. x 20reps on each arm. I was proud of that, can you imagine what i'll achieve over the summer :biggrin:???

Latest