The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

9 Liverpool's Number
Summer = warm weather = BBQ + beer = fatty fatty fat fat.

:smile:

Hehe I like the way you think :p:

Just swap beer with pimms :biggrin:

I plan to start running again, and generally get fit, which would hopefully lead to some weight loss. This also means that I have to be up at 7.30 instead of laying in bed until 1. Oh, and yoga. I need to do that again, really felt longer and leaner when I used to do it. And pilates.
Reply 101
Hey guys, is there anything unhealthy about decaf tea?

Can I join the get fit thread? :smile:

Ive joined my local gym just over a week ago trying to get healthy and tone up...been going pretty good..been about 5 times since I joined doing cardio and resistance and been trying to eat healthier too, so far just over a week in seen no results..but I guess that is to be expected after such a short time. Is everyone else going good too?
hayles101
Can I join the get fit thread? :smile:

Ive joined my local gym just over a week ago trying to get healthy and tone up...been going pretty good..been about 5 times since I joined doing cardio and resistance and been trying to eat healthier too, so far just over a week in seen no results..but I guess that is to be expected after such a short time. Is everyone else going good too?

Yeah a weeks still early, give it id say 2-3 weeks and you'll start to see differences. The weathers been hindering my cycle trips :frown:
Ah bear you seem to be everywhere these days...how do you do it? Thats good what should I start to notice first?
hey, this seems a good forum.
ive put on 10lbs since easter from over eating like crazy- boredom!
But I've vowed to stop. This morning I went for a 50 minute run and had some cereal. I plan to take my calorie intake to 1,200 per day, no more and run at least 4 times a week.
currently I weigh 9 stone, would like to get to 8 stone if not 7 stone 7lbs. (Bear in mind I am very short)
Can I still allow chocolate? or does it have to be JUST healthy food to lose weight?
Good Luck, I'll keep posting with regular weigh ins! x
Reply 106
Ok, opinions people: My attempt to go to the gym after work today failed MISERABLY (got all the way there, realised i'd forgotten socks :mad:, i mean, of all things )
I'm gonna try and go for a run/walk tonight. Even if i catch a cold.:p:
Tomorrow morning before work, i'm booked in for a salsacise class.
However, would it be better, d'you reckon, to go for a gym session instead?
Reply 107
I like classes, seeing other people struggling makes me feel more determined not to look weak and feeble, plus I feel really awkward when I'm gym-ing alone. Although I'm trying my best to get fit (I bought a skipping rope today!) I hate running because I'm self conscious and I'm so bored it's hard to not eat. I have gone swimming a few times and I do a little routine that I stole from a BLTs class 3x a week, plus due to being a poor student I walk everwhere, it's about 3 miles to work and back! I'm now going to attempt a detox Friday to Friday, going cold turkey on all 'bad' food, just as an experiment.
Reply 108
Just had my final gym review and am happy with the results! Lost 7.5cm from my waist and about 5cm from hips in the past 3/4 weeks :biggrin: Also lost nearly half a stone although it still doesn't really show
I have decided to do an early morning run tomorrow...about 2 miles :smile:

And now that I've posted it, I have to do it!

Lol, then I plan to walk to work, weather permitting. Otherwise it's running for the bus :biggrin:
Tufts
Hey guys, is there anything unhealthy about decaf tea?

The best tea for you and your 'needs' would be green tea. Full of antioxidants and has less caffeine that regular tea. Good for the metabolism. You can buy flavoured green tea - my personal faves are lemon and also mint.
Reply 111
I'm tempted to create a 'gym yays' thread, for the positives of the gym rants...

I did my first 500+ calorie session in AGES today!
Even better since i did it in 50 minutes of cardio !
Though my face matched my work t-shirt for redness afterwards, lol
Today has been 100% AWESOME!
I'm going to start using free weights to try and build some muscle and improve the appearance of my body. I'm planning on doing 3-4 session per week, starting out with baby weights (since I appear to have zero strength, particularly in my arms) and hopefully progressing over the summer. Alongside this, I'm going to completely clean up my diet, sticking mainly to things like chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, veg, sugar free cereals, nuts, etc. Having read around, this seems like what I should be doing to get the body I'm after but I could never be bothered making the effort to learn how to do the different exercises properly. Did my first session today and I clearly have a LONG way to go but I'm looking forward to seeing any changes.
Went to the gym Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Meant to go yday but forgot a vital part of my kit, actually got to the changing room before I realised lol.

People have started noticing and commenting on my weight loss! Was showing my parents how much my scars on my tummy from an operation I had last October had faded just now and my dad went "wow you've got a six pack!". Lol I don't but my tummy has a line down the middle. :biggrin:

I ran a mile at level 11 on the treadmill at the gym this week. :biggrin: About a month ago I was still plodding on at about level 8 or 9 I think!! Need to just learn not to give up on myself!!

edit: I'm kind of tempted to book a few sessions with a personal trainer I had for two sessions back in late Feb/March so he can see me after I've lost 2.5 stone and help me sort out a proper program with cardio and weights... hmmm.
Reply 114
From a background of training 4 hours a day for 12 years (so have a high level of base fitness)

Monday: 1 hour 'fitness Yoga', 1 hour mix aerobics and circuits, 15 min erg, 15 min cross trainer

Tuesday: 1 hour aerobics

Weds: 1 hour Body Conditioning, 1 hour Fight Klub

Thurs: 1 hour swim

Fri: Off

Sat (today): 1 hour Body Attack, 1 hour Dance fitness, 20min Power Plate, 30min Boxercise, 20 min swim

Cut down to around to eating between 500-1000 cals a day (past experience I need to be on 700 or lower to lose any weight)

Lost no weight, well one day it will show I lost a stone, the next i'm 14lb (yes 14) heavier. Don't get it?!!
I really should be getting fit over the summer. But, lets face it, it's not going to happen.

As far as exercise/getting fit goes, I have decided I will do it when I go to Uni as I will have so much spare time.
Reply 116
ppink
Monday: 1 hour 'fitness Yoga', 1 hour mix aerobics and circuits, 15 min erg, 15 min cross trainer

Tuesday: 1 hour aerobics

Weds: 1 hour Body Conditioning, 1 hour Fight Klub

Thurs: 1 hour swim

Fri: Off

Sat (today): 1 hour Body Attack, 1 hour Dance fitness, 20min Power Plate, 30min Boxercise, 20 min swim

Cut down to around to eating between 500-1000 cals a day (past experience I need to be on 700 or lower to lose any weight)

Lost no weight, well one day it will show I lost a stone, the next i'm 14lb (yes 14) heavier. Don't get it?!!

good luck killing yourself
I'm planning on getting fit over the summer and also losing a few inches (2 off my hips and 1 off my waist, roughly, I know you can't spot reduce, but those areas are like 100% fat, so I should lose it).

I've been swimming twice this week (not much, but I'm going again tomorrow). I'm also going to do some stationary cycling tonight as well as some serious stretching (to help my knees).

I'm not planning on counting calories - I have a tendency to become obsessive with things, so probably not a good idea, also I want to enjoy the BBQs etc this summer. I'm just going to do exercise and eat healthily (says the girl who had just 3 chocolate bars for lunch...Stupid working in a shop)

I'm doing it so 1) I feel better/healthier and have more energy, 2) To get back into my clothes (they're getting a bight tight) and 3) So when I go on a massive shopping trip (no uniform in 6th form :rolleyes: ) I don't get depressed lol.
Reply 118
Bebbs
good luck killing yourself

??? Being unfortunately serious, if I eat in the region of 1500 cals a day I just put it all on. I've put on 4 stone throughout uni, and that's being very very sporty, training every day (often more than once) whilst consuming 1500-2000 cals a day. I can't physically do any more excercise, so it's got to be the diet. Last time I tried to lose any 2 years ago I had to go down to practically nothing (as low as 300) with excerise to lose any, and then it took 6 weeks before I noticed any loosening of clothes!
Reply 119
ppink
??? Being unfortunately serious, if I eat in the region of 1500 cals a day I just put it all on. I've put on 4 stone throughout uni, and that's being very very sporty, training every day (often more than once) whilst consuming 1500-2000 cals a day. I can't physically do any more excercise, so it's got to be the diet. Last time I tried to lose any 2 years ago I had to go down to practically nothing (as low as 300) with excerise to lose any, and then it took 6 weeks before I noticed any loosening of clothes!

you have an eating disorder (serious) either that or you are unable to count your calories. NOONE needs to eat 300 cals a day and exercise. Do you realise how little 300cals is. Its ~ 1xlucozade, or 3eggs, or 3 slices of bread, or a mars bar, or a handful of nuts. Compare those to what you were eating then

Latest