The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Anyway, I've put on over a stone in weight in a year of uni, so I'm attempting both to lose it, build some muscles and get my fitness up for rugby next term.

I'm basically doing HIIT every two days, and Planche/Front Lever progressions on the other days, as well as weight training 4 times a week. I'll probably edit in my stats (weight, waist, chest etc) here every week, just so I can see how I'm doing.
Reply 121
lol what a nice, possitive thread!

I have just suffered an 'intervention' from my parents...apparently I'm a fair bit bigger than I was this time last year :frown: and my prom suit is looking a bit tight now...SO I will redouble my efforts to try and be a happy size...I'm blaming eating lunch at home during free periods!! Oh and getting bored of the gym...

I have restarted karate after a 6 year haitus a few months ago...and I decided to restart swimming (what is a good number of lengths to do???) a couple of weeks ago...bit bored of the gym though, so haven't been in a while...along with eating healthy and stuff...

I weighed myself earlier for the first time in over a year probably...I was really quite shocked lol! Its strange...I hadn't really noticed myself get very much bigger (I'm still not like obease or anything...just a little er out of shape :P)
I'm defo trying to get fit over the summer cos I wanna train as a beach lifeguard in september and I'm not fit enough. There's no gym here I can get to without a car (and I don't have one) so I'm going to swim, run and cycle. I work at a swimming pool so gonna try and go for a swim at least once a day in my break/after work. I want to try and get up early (so no-one will see me) and go running on the beach but I'm usually too hungover tbh!! I ride my bike everywhere, probs ride it for a couple of hours on my days off to get to the nearest town, and ride it work, to the supermarket etc. I love my bike but it doesn't feel like enough. The only thing that really makes me feel like i've exercised properly is running, but I bloody hate it. Oh well, will have to try and force myself to go. I shoud really try and give up smoking aswell but I doubt I will.
jamie_90
lol what a nice, possitive thread!

I have just suffered an 'intervention' from my parents...apparently I'm a fair bit bigger than I was this time last year :frown: and my prom suit is looking a bit tight now...SO I will redouble my efforts to try and be a happy size...I'm blaming eating lunch at home during free periods!! Oh and getting bored of the gym...

I have restarted karate after a 6 year haitus a few months ago...and I decided to restart swimming (what is a good number of lengths to do???) a couple of weeks ago...bit bored of the gym though, so haven't been in a while...along with eating healthy and stuff...

I weighed myself earlier for the first time in over a year probably...I was really quite shocked lol! Its strange...I hadn't really noticed myself get very much bigger (I'm still not like obease or anything...just a little er out of shape :P)

An 'intervention' because you're getting a bit chubby? Sounds a bit extreme.
I'm back from uni and I don't think my weight has changed at all since I started, if anything I think I may have lost weight as some clothes seem a bit looser.

For a few years now I've been telling myself I need to get fit and tone up but I'm lazy and never get round to it. Going to do it this year though, I don't go back to uni until October which gives me enough time to see the effect of any exercise I do between now and then.
update!
okay well i've done a lot more running this last week than i have in ages. But I have ate quite a lot so doubt there will be much change on the scales. But i am noticing a change already for example my arms are looking more toned and defined!
A tip: if you go wrong;eat a lot or something unhealthy, just forget about it and perhaps do an extra bit of exercise to compensate, dont dwell on it! xxxxxxxx

Today:
Breakfast: Special K
Lunch: Homemade tomato soup ! -by me!
Mid Aft: Fruit
Dinner: Jacket Potato with beans and salad or veg

Exercise: 25 minute jog - 1 steep hill!

Good Luck x
Well, if other people are doing updates...

Yesterday was a good and bad day:

Breakfast: White toast x2 , butter, orange juice
Lunch: Brown toast x2, tuna with a little mayo, lettuce, 1/2 a tomato
Snacks: White bread x3, chocolate spread, peanut butter (not together!)
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese

See, not very healthy, but:
Exercise: Swimming for 1 hour. I was pretty tired after that because I tried to push myself...

EDIT: I just realised how much bread I eat...I don't even like it lol.

EDIT: I just realised how much bread I eat...I don't even like it lol.

like me but i eat peanut butter and i dont like it! x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
like me but i eat peanut butter and i dont like it! x

LOL. I don't know why I eat so much bread...I think it might be the fact that a sandwhich is something that I can make and I don't know what else to make for lunch etc...

Any ideas for quick, easy & cheap lunch meals anyone? LOL, there's a bread bin full of bread in the kitchen and lunch is in about an hour-hour and a half...
pasta and a tomato sauce?soup? omlette? scrambled eggs? google it! x
what are you planning on eating exercising today? x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
pasta and a tomato sauce?soup? omlette? scrambled eggs? google it! x
what are you planning on eating exercising today? x

Well, if my knees are up to it, I'll do 30mins on my stationary bike. I doubt I can go swimming today (I can't drive and so have to ask my parents or neighbours that go swimming to take me).

Breakfast today: White toast x2, butter (I know...)
Um, haven't actually planned anything, dinner is whatever my parents cook, but I might cook tonight (so I can have chicken lol - slightly addicted to the stuff).

I need to get some fruit and veg, but the fruit bowl is now down to just 2 bananas and possibly the odd orange (my brother eats fruit like there's no tomorrow). Maybe I'll have a salad for lunch. but I had the last tin of tuna yesterday and I think the eggs have run out (time for a food shop I think lol).
steffi.alexa
Well, if my knees are up to it, I'll do 30mins on my stationary bike. I doubt I can go swimming today (I can't drive and so have to ask my parents or neighbours that go swimming to take me).

Breakfast today: White toast x2, butter (I know...)
Um, haven't actually planned anything, dinner is whatever my parents cook, but I might cook tonight (so I can have chicken lol - slightly addicted to the stuff).

I need to get some fruit and veg, but the fruit bowl is now down to just 2 bananas and possibly the odd orange (my brother eats fruit like there's no tomorrow). Maybe I'll have a salad for lunch. but I had the last tin of tuna yesterday and I think the eggs have run out (time for a food shop I think lol).
lol, yeh we always seems to sun out of healthy food. Its a shame i cant stand tuna too! I understand the thing with the knees to. Last week i ran a lot and i can feel my knees being really sore =(, ive had it before and its stoppped me running. I went to the doctors a few years back and they were no help. They said i could see a physio but the waiting list was too long. When i stopped for 5 weeks doing any running it went, but it returns when i do more than usual!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
lol, yeh we always seems to sun out of healthy food. Its a shame i cant stand tuna too! I understand the thing with the knees to. Last week i ran a lot and i can feel my knees being really sore =(, ive had it before and its stoppped me running. I went to the doctors a few years back and they were no help. They said i could see a physio but the waiting list was too long. When i stopped for 5 weeks doing any running it went, but it returns when i do more than usual!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr x

My brother had a problem with his knees and managed to see a physio after about a year, I just stole his stretches sheet, they seem to be helping lol.

I have no idea why we run out of the healhty food so quickly, it's odd lol. But then my parents never buy biscuits and crisps etc, so I suppose everyone just snacks on fruit.
steffi.alexa
My brother had a problem with his knees and managed to see a physio after about a year, I just stole his stretches sheet, they seem to be helping lol.

I have no idea why we run out of the healhty food so quickly, it's odd lol. But then my parents never buy biscuits and crisps etc, so I suppose everyone just snacks on fruit.

what are the stretches? x
I do well all day up until about 9pm which is when I start to pig out. For example, I won't snack, eat a healthy lunch, a small and healthy dinner, but then when it gets to 9 o'clock, I'll basically eat everything in the fridge. Any tips for avoiding this?
Demoskratos7
I do well all day up until about 9pm which is when I start to pig out. For example, I won't snack, eat a healthy lunch, a small and healthy dinner, but then when it gets to 9 o'clock, I'll basically eat everything in the fridge. Any tips for avoiding this?

Lol, I do this too! Then my mother comes down in the morning and asks where all the food's gone and sometimes my brother's lunch :redface:

Try distracting yourself really. For the past week, I've been spending night time doing sudoku and samurais that I literally forget about food. And I go to my room, because that way I know I won't go in the kitchen.
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
what are the stretches? x

They're just stretches for stretching the back of the knee (very good terminology, I know lol). I can't really describe them.
*HullaBaLoO*
Lol, I do this too! Then my mother comes down in the morning and asks where all the food's gone and sometimes my brother's lunch :redface:

Try distracting yourself really. For the past week, I've been spending night time doing sudoku and samurais that I literally forget about food. And I go to my room, because that way I know I won't go in the kitchen.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. That's a good tactic, actually, as I do think that a lot of the time "extensive snacking" (as I like to call it) just comes down to boredom.
Urgh, bad day. Stupid recipie books made me bakes cakes and flapjacks... I so need to find a hobby so that I don't end up stuck in the house with oats, sugar and butter (they were the first flapjacks I've made successfully though...).

And I can't go swimming tonight, so I'll have to use my stationary bike which makes horrible noises whenever it is used (it's dying the poor thing)... Stupid holidays.

Demoskratos7 and *HullaBaLoO*: I also snack lots when I shouldn't lol, but it's usually throughout the day (my folks are pretty strict on the "no food after dinner" rule, seeing as dinner's usually at 9pm now, that's not hard.)
Reply 139
I'm hoping i can join this thread. I've got a gym membership, but am lazy an never go, but the other day when i was about to go to sleep i found the determination to get up and go and actually found i enjoyed it. The odd thing was that when i got there i went on the scales and found i was actually 4 pounds lighter than i last time i went, which is shocking as i've beemn lazy around and eating crap for the last few months. Anyway i'm determined to keep up this weight loss, or bmake it better, before uni and loose some podge and get down to my target weight (8 stone 4), which is only 10lbs away, so i hope that's possible. Oh and to go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and stop eating so much crap (that will have to start tomorrow... whoops at the pizza hut and ice cream today :s:)

Latest