The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

niff524
i'm not a native english speaker :frown: ) and i just don't think i've got enough support from my school in preparing for the interview. i haven't done philosophy a-level (quite a lot of applicants have, as i know...) and the ones i'm doing (i'm only doing 3 and a half... :eek: )seem to be a bit limited in a way- english literature, classical civilisation, art and art history (AS only). maybe i should have done at least maths or one science... i just feel so disadvantaged and incompetent compared to other applicants!! ><

same here, I'm not a native english speaker either and I didn't get any support from my school!
BUT I'm confident that I've done my best :smile:
Reply 21
haha, i´m not a native speaker either and i got no support, part of the syllabus we were supposed to learn in school got flushed down the toilet after the last school reform. now, what can possibly go wrong? :smile:
I don't expect to get in at all, and it's not really bothering me too much. The KCL German and Modern Greek courses are just as good, so I'm just as happy to go there. Cambridge is only really completely preferable for me at the minute because of accommodation costs! If my subject had been available at loads of universities, I don't know if I'd have even bothered applying. Oh well!
lessthanthree
what letter?

I sent a letter, asking why I was rejected.
Reply 24
yeah i'm the same as most of you guys here:
getting a place is so difficult that it's better to go into an interview thinking: 'i'll do my best' not 'i need to go here!'. Which eer university you end up at is for the best!!
Reply 25
I have no expectation whatsoever of getting an offer from Cambridge--and nor will I be heartbroken when they reject me! Hence why I'm not particularly stressed about my application at the moment. Don't get me wrong, on the day of the interview I'll be identifiable as the girl curled up in a dark corner of Selwyn talking maniacally to herself, but until then I'm not going to get unduly worried :wink:. I intend to view the application process as a valuable experience; I've never had an academic interview before, so hopefully I'll gain something from it. And, yes, of course you'll be able to witness me eat my words as the interview draws closer...:biggrin:

But when it comes down to it, although it would be wonderful to study there, I don't have my heart set on the place and am, in fact, quite enamoured with Sheffield University at the moment. There are other great places to study my subject. And I don't feel I've wasted a choice, because even without receiving an offer I'll have the experience behind me...and there was no other university offering my course (minus Oxford) to put instead anyway! :tongue:
Reply 26
Seems like a lot of non-native speakers around lol! - doesn't mean much as long as your English is fine and you know your standard! - it's not English I'm worried about (my second language) and if Uni's wanna doubt my English abilities they can look at my Eng Lit AS :biggrin: It's the Science and Maths I'm worried about!!!!!

And Kitsune - similar here - I'm doing Art A2 applying for what, Natural Science! Fortunately, Emma does accept Art - cus I checked before I dropped Eng Lit :rolleyes:

And Alaric - aww bless you sound like you were really nervous! But hey you're in now! :biggrin: Reminds me of Willa's quote of seeing 5p on the floor actually :rolleyes: *sigh* I could only dream.

Actually when I visited Emma college it was soo funny - I was in the hall and I suddenly got this feel of "Oh my, I'm surrounded by a load of genius!" and like, everyone's supposed to be like, a genius! - lol and I was saying I got this "Cambridge feel" and EVERYONE looked at me :rolleyes: Well they could look - cus they're in, so it's nothing special... *sigh*

Doubtless if I do get in I'll be the same and think "hey what's the big deal?" :biggrin: But right now - it's Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge... *sigh* And I've slipped up in subject choice, grades, probably personal statement - and now my entry essay for Emma, due in two days, is still not finished and I dunno where I've gone wrong but according to a fresher at Cam it's not logical and I sound confused :redface: *sigh*

Well I can only dream... They'll probably reject me and I'll be devastated and probably cry - and then pride will kick in and I'll end up getting all A's cus I'm mad at Cambridge. Well if all fails I can always reapply next year - for Fine Art at Oxford :biggrin:
Reply 27
irisng
And Alaric - aww bless you sound like you were really nervous! But hey you're in now! :biggrin: Reminds me of Willa's quote of seeing 5p on the floor actually :rolleyes: *sigh* I could only dream.

I was really nervous, when one of the interviewers in my general/physics interview said that we'd overrun I practically ran out, except for the fact I couldn't get out because I was carrying my bag in one hand and there were two locks on the door that I hadn't noticed. Doh.
So twenty minutes/half hour talking about circular motion, orbits, SHM, gravity etc and then I can't use a door. Do you think that made me look nervous?

irisng

Well if all fails I can always reapply next year - for Fine Art at Oxford :biggrin:

Having been to a couple of their final degree shows I must say I think it must be the most dos course ever. The art doesn't really look much beyond that of A-level, just on a slightly more grandiose scale, I'm not convinced they learn much in three years. </cynic>

Alaric.
My confidence varies... ¬_¬

I think I'm good enough, and that I could pull off a nice interview -
- my only worry is that there are 5 other people there equally good as me, or probably better. :frown:

But hey, what do I care. :rolleyes:
I'll just give it my best shot;
If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.
Reply 29
You sound like a philosopher Dave :biggrin:

Alaric, believe me I'm trying not to be nervous and trying not to get worked up about it because I know rejection would seriously be bad for me. It just so happens that SPS at Cambridge is the perfect course at the perfect uni imo. The course is pretty unique, and the uni just seems so great to me. Honestly, if say......Heriot Watt University did an identical course, and magicked itself up a collegiate system, a plethora of drama societies and a liberal helping of ducks and squirrels, I'd be there like a shot!
Also I tend to work well under pressure - try being in any kind of show with me. It's amazing what a one woman army can do.
Yes I suppose I am a little obsessed, but I'm like that with everything I do. It's just my way. :smile: And if I get rejected I get rejected, c'est la vie. Can't say I'll be happy about it (I think I'll go and wail to my teddy bears for a significant while and probably abandon this forum for even longer) but I'll survive :smile:.
Anyway, where did I put my copy of The Social Contract?
Reply 30
Alaric
I was really nervous, when one of the interviewers in my general/physics interview said that we'd overrun I practically ran out, except for the fact I couldn't get out because I was carrying my bag in one hand and there were two locks on the door that I hadn't noticed. Doh.
So twenty minutes/half hour talking about circular motion, orbits, SHM, gravity etc and then I can't use a door. Do you think that made me look nervous?

Having been to a couple of their final degree shows I must say I think it must be the most dos course ever. The art doesn't really look much beyond that of A-level, just on a slightly more grandiose scale, I'm not convinced they learn much in three years. </cynic>

Alaric.

Awwww bless! Well you're at Cambridge now! And lol Art - well I do say myself that art is a complete doss! - but I love it anyway :biggrin:
Reply 31
This may seem a bit random....but i would like to wish everyone luck with your upcoming interviews and hope you all are offered a place :smile:
Reply 32
It may be random, but it's awfully nice of you to say so Jamie. Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 33
I feel sick reading this thread.
You know, the other morning I sat down in front of the tv (saturday) and thought for the first time... you have a chance to get in, an outside chance, but you have one.

My thinking is that I will do badly in the test and interview, because I cannot think on my feet (a chocolate fireguard is more intuitive!) and I might get pooled because of good grades or something, making them think I was nervous and had a massive off day:s-smilie:

However, as soon as some people started to say grades only got you into the interview, my heart sank, because those grades were the only credit I was going to get from Cam... Im all like, thats damn depressing.

I want to study NatSci at Cam more than anywhere else, for the prestige, the people, the course and the City itself. So many reasons... I take the idea of fate and think, if it was meant to happen it would. But if I dont get in, its a failure, and I do not deal with failure well...

Plus, my mum is convinced I am in (she wants me to do the best I can and stuff and is really supportive), but this just adds to the pressure. My friends all keep saying they think I have a place, and tbh I hate the pedestal they've put me on.

It's so easy to fall when you're pushed so hard and stand so tall.

I am now copyrighting that line.

I hope we all do well, so many people ive come to know on here fully deserve Cambridge, and I feel I deserve it too, but I am not nearly arrogant enough to think I have a good chance... especially since ive read 2 science books in my life that werent textbooks, and I didnt really understand those too well either:frown:

Isn't life just depressing sometimes?

Good luck to everybody though, even those applying to the same course as me, give it your best, it's all we can do!
Reply 34
what criteria are there for ranking the prospective students? i´ve read the prospectus etc but it really doesn´t offer any real clues.
irisng
Seems like a lot of non-native speakers around lol! - doesn't mean much as long as your English is fine and you know your standard! - it's not English I'm worried about (my second language) and if Uni's wanna doubt my English abilities they can look at my Eng Lit AS :biggrin: It's the Science and Maths I'm worried about!!!!!

As long as you've been through an English education system, they're not going to care what you speak at home with your parents. Sorry, just having one of those kind of pedantic days :rolleyes:

Anyway, you're going to get in -- I'll do spells and all sorts to make sure! lol
RobbieC
I feel sick reading this thread.

Plus, my mum is convinced I am in (she wants me to do the best I can and stuff and is really supportive), but this just adds to the pressure. My friends all keep saying they think I have a place, and tbh I hate the pedestal they've put me on.

First of all, stop reading the threads before you give yourself some kind of nervious breakdown! :tongue:

Secondly, I'm absolutely with you on the "people think you're in already" thing. Everyone is talking to me as if it's a done deal, even though I know it clearly isn't, and it really doesn't help at all. It just makes me feel as if I'll be regarded as a huge failure if I don't get in.
Wilde_Oscar
Urgh. Don't ask about confidence. I really, really am not confident.

And I have interviews, mock questions, PS help, read all the books... Yeah.

Which books have you read, out of interest? I'm applying to Sidney Sussex at Cambridge for English and I have my interview in exactly three weeks. So I'm needing to, well, swot up basically - and I have a practical criticism test which I have no idea how to prepare for. Any recommendations? You seem quite well-prepared.
platinumki
It's a bit different for me (although medics and other vets will feel the same.) For most of you, you are guarnteed a place somewhere. But it's as hard to get into med/ vet med anywhere. So, I'm not freaking out about Cambridge - I'm freaking out about everywhere.

I got rejected by Bristol last week - I was gutted. "So soon!" I exclaimed. Today they phoned me up.

"Hi, Bristol here. Got your letter. No, we're not sure why you didn't get an interview either. December good?"

Seriously. Now, if I hadn't sent that letter....

Admission is a lotery. Our lives hang in the balance. Now cheer up, go out and get pissed.

so you got an interview at the end at bristol?
Reply 39
hmmmmmm i'm actually quite surprised by the number of ppl who sympathise with my depression! :biggrin: (i know i shouldn't be :biggrin: ing but u know how comforting it is! :rolleyes: )

yeah the pressure is just ridiculously enormous. there are about 10 oxbridge applicants in my year and what we talk about literally everyday is oxbridge oxbridge oxbridge....... :mad: and everyone in my year knows i'm applying for oxbridge and if i don't get in, to be honest, i'll feel so ashamed and embarrassed 'cuz everyone will secretly think i'm a loser :frown: my mom has such a high expectation of me too which makes it all the worse.

another thing that's REALLY worrying me now is how everyone in my year are beginning to get offers from other unis while i've heard from none :eek: !!!! back in september or something i thought if i didn't get in cambridge, most other unis would still probably give me a place, but apparently that's not true at all! :frown: what if i get rejected by cambridge plus them all??!!!! that's my worst nightmare... if that happens i might as well jump out of the window right now(with the ucas ppl)!!!!!

i feel increasingly hopeless everytime i log on to the ucas track site and find nothing, whereas some ppl have got 3 offers already!!! *sigh* am i so unworthy of a place in uni?? :confused: :confused:

Latest