The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Everyone needs to chill out! The world does not begina and end with Cambridge! I'm not saying this to be nice, just cos u guys are sketching me out! The more and more I visit these forums, the less confidence I have, the only outside reading I do is ET and I have no good essays to send in.

Basically, my plan is to go along to the interview, enjoy the trip, get pissed the night before and if I don't get in, which seems more and more likely, I'll just go to Bristol! Anyways, as it's a four-hour train journey to cam, I figure I can revise my AS Syllabus then! right?

Neways, good luck everyone, apart from Christ's economics applicants, because I hate you and hope you fail miserably at your interview!
niff524
another thing that's REALLY worrying me now is how everyone in my year are beginning to get offers from other unis while i've heard from none :eek: !!!! back in september or something i thought if i didn't get in cambridge, most other unis would still probably give me a place, but apparently that's not true at all! :frown: what if i get rejected by cambridge plus them all??!!!! that's my worst nightmare... if that happens i might as well jump out of the window right now(with the ucas ppl)!!!!!

i feel increasingly hopeless everytime i log on to the ucas track site and find nothing, whereas some ppl have got 3 offers already!!! *sigh* am i so unworthy of a place in uni?? :confused: :confused:

I had the same feeling as you!! Some people were starting to get offers and they sent theres way after me!! However, luckily, i got two offers within 3 days!!

So just sit tight, and be patient. What course are you applying for? And what universities? (it may be that the uni's you applied for, and course, are extremely competitive and that they give out offers later. If you havent received any rejections, it cant be that bad!!). Universities such as LSE - Warwick give out offers for economics as late as March! At this time, they will probably be handing out rejections! So if you havent heard, its not all bad!
Reply 42
niff524
another thing that's REALLY worrying me now is how everyone in my year are beginning to get offers from other unis while i've heard from none :eek: !!!! back in september or something i thought if i didn't get in cambridge, most other unis would still probably give me a place, but apparently that's not true at all! :frown: what if i get rejected by cambridge plus them all??!!!! that's my worst nightmare... if that happens i might as well jump out of the window right now(with the ucas ppl)!!!!!

i feel increasingly hopeless everytime i log on to the ucas track site and find nothing, whereas some ppl have got 3 offers already!!! *sigh* am i so unworthy of a place in uni?? :confused: :confused:

Don't worry I've got no offers from any of my unis either :redface: however I do have four interviews including Cambridge :biggrin: aaahhhhhhhhh and they're all for different courses!!!! (Pharmacology - Bristol, Pathobiology - Reading, NatSci - Cambridge and then Pharmacology - Manchester)
Reply 43
usman, i've applied for straight philosophy at cambridge, essex (got an interview... but don't even wanna go there! ><), warwick and KCL; philosophy+art hist. at UCL and birmingham. i guess they're quite competitive courses then... =( wow 2 offers within 3 days!! i'd go ecstastic (is there such a word....??) if i were u!!! hope ur offers will keep coming!!! =P!! good luck!

thanks irisng (is ng ur surname?) ^^!! good luck with ur interviews!!! you must have had a hard time with ur personal statement applying for so many different courses! awww......
thekillersrock
Basically, my plan is to go along to the interview, enjoy the trip, get pissed the night before and if I don't get in, which seems more and more likely, I'll just go to Bristol! Anyways, as it's a four-hour train journey to cam, I figure I can revise my AS Syllabus then! right?

That sounds like a plan. Although getting pissed before the interview could actually be even better more confidence!
darkenergy
so you got an interview at the end at bristol?

Yes. Now, be honest, how many of you would just accept a rejection? It just goes to show, being confident pays off. Bristol is not my 1st choice, but (if I do get in!) how cool would it be to have my degree and rejection letter hanging side by side... :cool:

Or is that just me?

Anyway, the moral is - have faith. :tsr:
niff524
usman, i've applied for straight philosophy at cambridge, essex (got an interview... but don't even wanna go there! ><), warwick and KCL; philosophy+art hist. at UCL and birmingham. i guess they're quite competitive courses then... =( wow 2 offers within 3 days!! i'd go ecstastic (is there such a word....??) if i were u!!! hope ur offers will keep coming!!! =P!! good luck!

I applied for straight philosophy at Cambridge, Bristol, Sussex, Southampton, Reading and UEA.
Got offers from the latter four... and went for a (fairly pointless) interview at Soton yesterday in fact.
:rolleyes:
Reply 47
ohhh no crazydaveuk your message freaked me out...... :eek: 4 offers for philosophy!!!!! i haven't even got one, and i tried to comfort myself thinking that philosophy might be one of the more competitive courses and hence they give out offers later?!! :confused: but you've already got 4... i'm really really worried now :frown: did they interview u before giving u offers?

a friend of mine got an offer from imperial today (her first offer) to do maths applied maths and physics. oh no. most people around me have at least got one offer already. what is this supposed to mean?? :frown: :frown: sorry i'm feeling proper pessimistic now :redface: 4 of them i haven't even heard from them, not even a confirmation of having received my application! how rude!! :mad: ok this is really driving me mad :mad:
Reply 48
niff524
ohhh no crazydaveuk your message freaked me out...... :eek: 4 offers for philosophy!!!!! i haven't even got one, and i tried to comfort myself thinking that philosophy might be one of the more competitive courses and hence they give out offers later?!! :confused: but you've already got 4... i'm really really worried now :frown: did they interview u before giving u offers?

a friend of mine got an offer from imperial today (her first offer) to do maths applied maths and physics. oh no. most people around me have at least got one offer already. what is this supposed to mean?? :frown: :frown: sorry i'm feeling proper pessimistic now :redface: 4 of them i haven't even heard from them, not even a confirmation of having received my application! how rude!! :mad: ok this is really driving me mad :mad:

lol I'm in the same position as you... I just have 2 rejections... but no offers... just the interview in Cambridge... which is not an offer :tongue: I get on UCAS track like 3 times a day... and it's always the same... 2 unsuccessful and that's it!
kitsune
lol I'm in the same position as you... I just have 2 rejections... but no offers... just the interview in Cambridge... which is not an offer :tongue: I get on UCAS track like 3 times a day... and it's always the same... 2 unsuccessful and that's it!

Why were you rejected? Have you even asked?
Reply 50
I can sympathise with you all on here. My parents are under the impression I'm going to get in, despite my GCSE grades not really reaching the a/a* other applicants are wielding. So I'm a bit nervous - more so due to their pressure than due to a wish to study at Cambridge.

However, I also agree with the line of thought here than we need to gain some perspective... the Cambridge interview isn't Judgement Day, in the strictest sense. Whenever I feel nerves coming on (i.e. after reading threads like these!) I think of the poor, for whom food (and not Uni) is the prime concern, and listen to the Band Aid single. Which isn't a patch on the original, I might add. :tongue:

:cool: RJ
Reply 51
niff524

thanks irisng (is ng ur surname?) ^^!! good luck with ur interviews!!! you must have had a hard time with ur personal statement applying for so many different courses! awww......

Yep that's me surname indeedieeee :biggrin: Thanks I need the luck! I'm beginning to really freak Cambridge's gonna reject me I just know it! - my grades and my subjects are both against me and I'm really not very good at science! - at least not for Cambridge :frown: And lol yep nightmare writing the personal statement!!!! - in the end I tweeked it so it just goes on about Medical Science :tongue:
niff524

Well... I got my UCAS in at the last minute in time for the whole Cambridge shebang, which is early compared to most applicants.
Though obviously not early for you, so I won't pretend that means much. :rolleyes:

Interview? Errm... I'll explain. ¬_¬

UEA - offer in the post, ABB
Reading - offer in the post, 300 points (BBB)
Sussex - letter saying an offer is in the post (odd, I know)
Soton - interview, but it wasn't formal or challenging like "the big one" at all.
Chatted for ages, then said "we'll be sending you a conditional offer"
TBH I think they only brought up people they'd already chosen, to encourage them to actually go.

The only question mark I have now is Bristol.
I think they do interviews, at least I've heard them mentioned on this forum, but... no word as yet.
Oddly enough Bristol's my 3rd choice, even though it's prestigious I actually preferred Sussex as the "not-cambridge-material" Plan B. :wink:
Reply 53
platinumki
Why were you rejected? Have you even asked?

Can I? Shall I? ... HOW? I'd be great to know why...
kitsune
Can I? Shall I? ... HOW? I'd be great to know why...

Bristol rejected me so I sent them a letter asking why and they offered me an interview. Of course it's worth doing! :tongue: Phone up and get a contact email/ address or just ask to speak to someone on the admissions board.
Reply 55
I'm more confident that I'll get an offer than my teachers are. I guess that's something. Possibly arrogance.
platinumki
Bristol rejected me so I sent them a letter asking why and they offered me an interview. Of course it's worth doing! :tongue: Phone up and get a contact email/ address or just ask to speak to someone on the admissions board.

Did they tell you why they rejected you? Was this for physics?
-RJ-
Which isn't a patch on the original, I might add. :tongue:

:cool: RJ

Dear God, it is not! Indeed, it's so bad, we're going to do a Sixth Form Band Aid, with me starring as Bob Geldof:

*mad hair and bad irish accent* Give some f-ing money, you bastards!

Then we're going to have some Year 7s clawing at our vending machine.

I think you had to be there.

On a thread-related note, I'm having the same problem random teachers coming up and congratulating me on having an interview, friends assuming I'm in...imbeciles!
gringalet
Dear God, it is not! Indeed, it's so bad, we're going to do a Sixth Form Band Aid, with me starring as Bob Geldof:

*mad hair and bad irish accent* Give some f-ing money, you bastards!

Just not on a Monday eh? (I don't like Mondays.)

Anyone else bought the DVD?

hitchhiker_13
Did they tell you why they rejected you? Was this for physics?

Physics?! :eek:

No - just because I have a Richard Feynman fetish doesn't mean I'm going to devote my life to him. :rolleyes:

I'm going to be a vet: James Herriot with sex appeal and XX chromosomes. :biggrin:

Bristol made it all out to be "someone else's" fault. :rolleyes:
Reply 59
Zapsta
I'm more confident that I'll get an offer than my teachers are. I guess that's something. Possibly arrogance.
Well I would rather my teachers were realistic and said, well good luck, but dont be disappointed, than with them blindly supporting me!!! One said, im sure you will get in... NO YOU ARE NOT.

Latest

Trending

Trending