Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Of mice and men - language tecniques

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbgeek)
    can someone help me with the language technqiues from of mice and men

e.g. "drank with long gulps, snorting into the water like a horse"

here the language techinue used is a simile

do you get the idea

any help will be appreciated
    Thanks.x
    I'm assuming these are the gestures that describe lennie.
    ok..language techniques hm.

steinbeck uses a lot of emotive language to describe lennie.
    at one point I can recall, Slim says: "just like a kid"
    that was when lennie was playing with the pups in barn..
    it reflects lennie's mannerisms to his surroundings and his state of mind.
    he just likes to touch soft things.. which makes the reader sympathise.
    • 1 follower

What sort of level?
    Is this GCSE analysis, A level or what?

It's a decent novel that is. I'm yet to read the Grapes of Wrath, though i'm told it's a bit tedious...
    Of mice and men is rather a touching novel isn't it? Lots of techniques to write about there mate; just have a good look and they'll be cropping up everywhere, and a little thought and you can explain their effect
    Sometimes a little thought is better than being spoon-fed answers.

Good luck with that,
    urh =]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Errr hallo everyone!? Is English your second languages or something??? Steinbeck is using that language to familarise the reader to the idea that Lennie is, maybe not an animal, but with animal traits and the dangerous spontaneous nature that comes with it.
    Also, notice this trend throughout the whole novel, ie in the case of Candy's dog, and the way Lennie went in the same kind of way to it. When Lennie and George are first described, Lennie is likened to a bear if i can remember rightly, draging his feet as well i think...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Haven't read this for years now, but I remember a bit...
    *Candy's dog is a metaphor for Candy himself: "old an' a cripple"
    *Curley's high heeled boots - he is uncomfortable with his height - napoleon complex "like a lot of little guys, he hates big guys". His glove fulla vasaline is a symbol of oneupmanship he has sex and money, the other ranchers dont. This also shows he sees his wife as his property that he can boast about, not an individual.
    *Curley's wife described as a "rat trap".
    *Think about dialect too, and where this places people on the social ladder.
    *Short sentences eg. "So I married Curley." - disguise - makes it seem simple, even right.
    *And of course the simile you've already mentioned. Lennie is repeatedly reffered to as being like an animal. Like a bear to show that he is potentially lethal.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, it's been a while. Good luck anyway.

Oh, and relax Hippy. What the OP is asking for is other techniques used in the novel, rather than to explain the simile posted. It was just an example. But I wont be mean because you didn't understand... maybe English is your second language.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what techniques are in this quote? "******, I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it aint even funny"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need help as well does anyone know any linguistic devices used to describe Lennie apart form him being described as a animal, as it is urgent for my CA??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student125)
    Can someone tell me what techniques are in this quote? "******, I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it aint even funny"
    You could talk about how non-standard English is used eg "ain't" and that it reflects Curley's wife's lack of education (and her ignorance/naivety about the world) Also the use of aggressive imagery and threats;she's talking about lynching him and using her social power and higher status in society to intimidate him. Hope that helped?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2013
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.