The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I wouldn't have done it, but I doubt I'd sell my car privately. Not saying it makes it right, but if people buy privately with no guarantee they should either have a mechanic or pay the AA etc to inspect it if they don't know what they're looking for. It's also best to expect the worse from every car and make something of it even if a fault appears small. I know I wouldn't go out and buy a private car on my own.
TommyWannabe
Tell them......

This is why I'm worried about buying my first car. I can't afford one from a dealer so I have to go private. I don't have enough money to fix a major fault, just enough to buy a car, so if this happened to me I'd have immediately lost all my money essentially, and be totally lost.

yeh exactly, i'm worried about buying my first car too. it's worrying what kind of people are out there.
Reply 22
Friggerpants
Gearbox sieze, front wheels locking up aint dangerous, huh?

Not if you look after your car.

It is like an engine oil leak, engine seizes, front wheels locking up and a piston flying through the block ain't dangerous either?

It is just basic maintenance, topping up your fluids.

It will be quite clear you have a leak, drops of oil on your driveway/road.

Besides, a gearbox with no oil, will give you PLENTY of warning before it goes. If anything, it needs much less lubrication than an engine so will keep going for a long time on no oil. Bearings are more likely to go before it seizes.
But, hear me out.

The dude who this dude sold the car too didn't even bother looking for leaks!

You really think he's gonna keep fluids topped up etc?
Reply 24
Friggerpants
But, hear me out.

Quite frankly, that is his own ignorance and negligence. Not the seller.
Reply 25
Just because they were foolish not to ask doesn't mean it wasn't immoral not to tell them. I think it's a fairly despicable move, really.
gbduo
Say what? Comparing Paedophiles to selling a lemon, wow...

It is not a major fault, it is a small oil leak in the gearbox!

It's a perfectly logical comparison. You can't fault it just because it's a little less socially acceptable.
Reply 27
FoeGeddaBowDeet
It's a perfectly logical comparison. You can't fault it just because it's a little less socially acceptable.

So now, you are going off topic and not answering the thread, well done.
gbduo
Quite frankly, that is his own ignorance and negligence. Not the seller.

So if I sell you a gun that backfires in your face it's your fault for not checking every part works perfectly? Just what kind of idiot are you?
Reply 29
Planto
Just because they were foolish not to ask doesn't mean it wasn't immoral not to tell them. I think it's a fairly despicable move, really.

Maybe, but the world is full of people without morals, especially in the used car market! You need to be aware of them, or you get bitten.
gbduo
So now, you are going off topic and not answering the thread, well done.

:rofl: you realise to accuse me of that you must accept you did it first? I posted on topic, you replied off topic and I defended myself.
What car was it, so I know not to buy it in three weeks time?
But, hear me out.

Reply 33
gbduo
Maybe, but the world is full of people without morals, especially in the used car market! You need to be aware of them, or you get bitten.

And? The OP was asking if he should be feeling guilty, which he should, regardless of how many greasy-haired sharks are doing the same thing.
Reply 34
FoeGeddaBowDeet
So if I sell you a gun that backfires in your face it's your fault for not checking every part works perfectly? Just what kind of idiot are you?

An obvious leak such as oil, in small quantities would not constitute a fault of the seller. The buyer should have checked for such leaks or if they were not competent enough to do that, should have got someone in who was.

Secondly, if you cannot spot a small leak when you leave your drive every morning, you have no right to have a car. That is gross negligence on the part of the buyer and I am sure the police, most garages and insurance companies would also see it this way.

The seller is only liable if the car is inherently dangerous. It is not, it would fly through its MOT on a small gearbox leak. It is not a dangerous car. Legally.
Reply 35
FoeGeddaBowDeet

You don't buy and use a gun unless you know exactly what you're doing. :rolleyes:

When you buy a house for example, you pay to have a survey done. Its the same with other substantial purchases like a car.
Reply 36
FoeGeddaBowDeet
:rofl: you realise to accuse me of that you must accept you did it first? I posted on topic, you replied off topic and I defended myself.

No, read again, I remained on topic and have remained on topic by saying it was a small engine leak. You replied with your socially unacceptable stuff, which is true, but irrelevant.

on topic again.
Reply 37
gbduo
An obvious leak such as oil, in small quantities would not constitute a fault of the seller. The buyer should have checked for such leaks or if they were not competent enough to do that, should have got someone in who was.

Secondly, if you cannot spot a small leak when you leave your drive every morning, you have no right to have a car. That is gross negligence on the part of the buyer and I am sure the police, most garages and insurance companies would also see it this way.

The seller is only liable if the car is inherently dangerous. It is not, it would fly through its MOT on a small gearbox leak. It is not a dangerous car. Legally.

That's all irrelevant legal babble, though. Fact is, he knew there was a problem with the car and obviously thinks it was sufficient enough to be worth mentioning (otherwise he wouldn't be questioning himself), so as a decent bloke he should have mentioned it to the buyer.
Reply 38
Planto
And? The OP was asking if he should be feeling guilty, which he should, regardless of how many greasy-haired sharks are doing the same thing.

Yeh true, but there are worse things to feel guilty about. Both seller and buyer made mistakes, but no seller is going to tell you a problem with the car! The price was cheap, the clues were there, the buyer should have got it checked. He failed to do that, it is his fault as well.

But the fault with the car is not that bad.

I would have more to say if it was a true lemon, i.e. stolen, cut and shut and the VIN number erased. But this isn't, this is just a car with a fault, but priced accordingly.
Reply 39
Planto
That's all irrelevant legal babble, though. Fact is, he knew there was a problem with the car and obviously thinks it was sufficient enough to be worth mentioning (otherwise he wouldn't be questioning himself), so as a decent bloke he should have mentioned it to the buyer.

That would have made the car completely unsaleable and me out of pocket by a couple grand more than what I've already lost.

Latest