The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Apprentice
is their own fault not for getting a 'expert' to come check the car, you dont just go buy a car willy nilly

Not really, no. You have a moral duty to point out what if anything is wrong with a car.
Reply 81
Oh not again!
Reply 82
Lol on the topic of Lemons...I part ex'd my old Nissan Micra for a slightly newer one. My old one had a HUGE dent and scratches on the passenger side and the cross member was severely corroded. I got £300 for it which I thought was brilliant... and away I went with my new car. Having been browsing this thread I thought I'd look and see if it had been put on autotrader... the garage are selling it for £1000! I can't believe it, though it looks like they've had the dent repaired. Not that they know about the cross member oops...
Reply 83
Blimey, that really could be a safety hazard!

That garage could into some trouble...
Reply 84
gbduo
Blimey, that really could be a safety hazard!

That garage could into some trouble...

To be honest I imagine they checked the car over... or at least you would hope that but who knows. It's ok, the one he's sold me is starting to go as well. My mechanic friend told me to keep an eye on it as it's already been welded a few times. Oh and a piece came off in his hand.
Reply 85
Wow...doesn't sound like he checks them then!
Reply 86
Hmmm, this is tough. On one side, it's business, and you needed to make as much as you could so sold it on in bad shape without telling them. On the other, I do feel a bit bad for the nice people, who'll probably become depressed when their brand new car they're so proud of...breaks. It depends if your bothered about people or profit more as to how you should feel.
Let's face it - If it's back on autotrader with a nice big markup, I don't think you need to feel too guilty.
Reply 88
It's just what happens when people sell cars privately. Mum bought a fiesta not too long ago, and we later discovered it had an oil leak. Probably something the seller knew about but she never said anything.

It sucks, and it's dishonest, but at the end of the day, it is the buyer's responsibility to get the car checked out (HPI, take your own mechanic along or whatnot) and decide if they wish to part with their cash.
The Hitchhiker
Not really, no. You have a moral duty to point out what if anything is wrong with a car.

Depends... if its life threatening then sure ill point it out ..
However IF the gearbox is on its way out then no :smile:

If we are talking about moral duties then why dont shop keepers say, well i actually bought that item for £3 and am selling it to you for £12!

Surely its a moral duty to point this out!? At the end of the day its all about selling the product.

There is plain dishonesty/unmoral and then there is business ....
Reply 90
Do you want to buy a lemon from me? £200?
Bavarian Motor Works

If we are talking about moral duties then why dont shop keepers say, well i actually bought that item for £3 and am selling it to you for £12!

Surely its a moral duty to point this out!? At the end of the day its all about selling the product.

I dare you to find the car on Autotrader and ring them up, and see if they confess to this fault. XD
Bavarian Motor Works

But you expect to pay more for the item than the shop did as thats how shops work. Nothing immoral in making a little profit for living off. The shop labels the item for 12 quid and states the condition and leaves you to make the choice.

Selling a dodgy car and not labelling it as such, is immoral.

And ripping people off is not business, it's immoral.
Don't feel bad bro it's life, you give what you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does a gearbox (or case) cost for that model?? I have bought cars with 'trashed' transmissions for bargain prices, and replaced the entire gearbox (automatic) for under $75, so i still got a good deal. In fact, the first automatic i completely rebuilt was bought that way. Somebody gave their kid a car - he was out 'hot-rodding' it - remember the old joke about "put it into "R" for race"?? That's what he did apparently. I had never seen a gearbox with absolutely everything twisted or stripped in it before - but i did that time.
The week after tearing it apart, i saw a used automatic (same kind) for $75 in the local newspaper. BINGO! I pulled the replacement apart (just for drill) - replaced the gaskets & seals - put it back together, & had a perfectly running automatic. I also have a good case & a half dozen parts that weren't twisted. Cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending