The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going to UCL and I did French, English literature and Film Studies. I think it's somewhat more respected than Media, but both are pretty looked down on. I'm going to do French, not music like you obviously :smile: but if you want to study Media then go for it!

Talk to a teacher maybe if you're unsure.
Reply 21
Roobagnall
i want to study media because it looks fun and interesting (something ive lacked at 6th form) But i do want to go to a good uni.. along the lines of something inside the Russell group. Will it stop me? (lets presume i get ABB)

sorry for being so ignorant but what is russel group?
Reply 22
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Seriously, unless the Russell Group unis you are applying to specifically state certain subjects, your choices shouldn't be a problem. Manchester, for example, specify that you must have an "English rich" subject (i.e. History, English, Philosophy, etc.) If you were thinking about Manchester, you'd have to e-mail them and ask if Media is considered an "English rich" subject. If it's not, then you'd be wasting your time applying there. Having two "non-respected" subjects would cause you problems with certain unis, but it really depends on where you are applying.

Can you tell us which universities you're thinking of applying for?

As for conservatoires, they don't care what subjects you've taken. I think for RCM, you don't even have to have done Music AS/A2 (though you need to have a good reason why you haven't!). Everything rests on the audition. There are basic GCSE and A Level requirements (as low as EE for RCM, IIRC).

Were you the person asking about LCM grade qualifications the other day? If you were thinking about conservatoires, that might become a problem (though it really shouldn't)...

:smile:

I was! as you can tell im scared witless about not succeding after not doing anything at 6th form this year... so theres alot on my mind

I have been worried about LCM and im considering doing grade 8 at ARBSM just to show i can...

I would like to go to a nice uni.. LOL.. i live in worcester so would like to stay 3 hour train journy away. (would consider scotland though) i like the sound of cardiff or bristol, birmingham (but i dont think brimginham would take me).
Would consider newcastle if i could get in, likewise for durham. As for the london unis, i would go anywhere aslong as it was reasonably good. i like the sound of all the colleges of music (esspecialy the royal college of music.. thats my dream college).

I basicaly would go anywhere but obvilusly i want somewhere with a good reputation...ish, good facilities and all the rest, its just a case of where i could go
Reply 23
shriya
sorry for being so ignorant but what is russel group?

its the "top" group of research unis;

University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Warwick
Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
King's College London
London School of Economics & Political Science

Thats them, obviously it dosnt unclude ones like Durham or York so its debateable how conclusive it is as towards the top unis
University College London
Reply 24
Mate, don't listen to some of the ignorant responses you're getting in here.

I did English, Sociology and Media at A2 level and got 5 offers from 4 very respected Uni's. (All redbrick; In my zeal I applied to Sheffield twice ^___^).

If you ever feel like you must justify your chosen A-level to whatever Unis you're applying too, which you shouldn't, you could just mention in your personal statement something along the lines of "In one of my chosen subjects of Media Studies I found studying the different effects of music application within and outside diagesise in film particularily interesting." blah blah blah.

I'd say that Media Studies would compliment the study of music far better than a "harder subject" such as Chemisty or A2 Rocket Science.

Edit: Looking at your posted list of "Russel group" Universities, all of my offers were from such Universities. I.e - Leeds, Sheffield (x2), Manchester, Liverpool.

Although if you really are that worried I'd suggest taking Film Studies. As previously mentioned in this topic it is probably regarded with a little more respect than Media.
Just do what you want to.
Roobagnall
I was! as you can tell im scared witless about not succeding after not doing anything at 6th form this year... so theres alot on my mind

I have been worried about LCM and im considering doing grade 8 at ARBSM just to show i can...

I would like to go to a nice uni.. LOL.. i live in worcester so would like to stay 3 hour train journy away. (would consider scotland though) i like the sound of cardiff or bristol, birmingham (but i dont think brimginham would take me).
Would consider newcastle if i could get in, likewise for durham. As for the london unis, i would go anywhere aslong as it was reasonably good. i like the sound of all the colleges of music (esspecialy the royal college of music.. thats my dream college).

I basicaly would go anywhere but obvilusly i want somewhere with a good reputation...ish, good facilities and all the rest, its just a case of where i could go

If you have the time to do it, I really would advise doing Grade 8 ABRSM. People can be so snobby about which board you did and LCM is supposedly the easiest, from what I've gathered over the last few years. No one will argue about the value/difficulty of ABRSM, so it's worth doing if you can. I did Grade 8 TCM and then Grade 8 ABRSM just so no one could say my Grade 8 didn't count, etc. :smile:

Why don't you think Birmingham would take you? Their grade range goes to ABB and they don't seem to have a problem with Music Tech according to UCAS!

None of the unis you're thinking of have said anything against the subjects you're interested in. I'm sensing you need confirmation, so why not go on the websites of each universitiy, find the departmental page and contact whoever is in charge of the Music department's admissions. Explain you're thinking of applying in x amount of years and want to know if your subjects are acceptable to them :smile:

I love the RCM too :smile:
Reply 27
Yeah, i did one of those mock auditions there and the man said he liked my style but i know and he knew my site reading isnt that great. im putting alot of work in but who knows...

By the way, when a uni says on ucas (music theory or music practical may supplement but not replace any of the A levels) i assumed that ment music tech wasnt accpected
Roobagnall

Don't go to Bristol...Its S.h1t
Reply 29
i wasnt able to do media at gcse but i did it for AS level and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO crap... i mean i was like you, i thought it would be like tons of fun, non stop entertainment etc.. but well.. no.. it was very repetitive and very long winded major waste of my time

but thats my opinion
Roobagnall
Yeah, i did one of those mock auditions there and the man said he liked my style but i know and he knew my site reading isnt that great. im putting alot of work in but who knows...

By the way, when a uni says on ucas (music theory or music practical may supplement but not replace any of the A levels) i assumed that ment music tech wasnt accpected

That's a good sign if the guy liked your style! :smile: Don't worry, my sight-reading is atrocious. It was so hilarious in my audition when the RCM asked me to sight-read. Just keep working on it :smile:

No, it means that you can do Music (the traditional performance/composition/history version) AND Music Theory/Music Tech/Music Practical, but you can't do one of those three and not have done Music. So you're fine! :smile:
bighairedmike
Don't go to Bristol...Its S.h1t

Why? Just interested, I've never heard anyone say that about their Music course before!

Reply 32
So where did you go?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Why? Just interested, I've never heard anyone say that about their Music course before!

Sorry, should have made myself clear. Not necessarily talking about music here.

I don't go to uni yet (went to bristols open day last thursday) and i personally didnt find it as good as everyone makes out. Sure, its a good Uni and the course content and everything seemed really good. Its just the place i didnt like. :smile:
Roobagnall
So where did you go?

Are you asking me or Mike, lol? :biggrin:
bighairedmike
Sorry, should have made myself clear. Not necessarily talking about music here.

I don't go to uni yet (went to bristols open day last thursday) and i personally didnt find it as good as everyone makes out. Sure, its a good Uni and the course content and everything seemed really good. Its just the place i didnt like. :smile:

Fair enough. I felt the same about KCL :smile:
Reply 36
The lonely goatherd.

Whered you go?
Roobagnall
The lonely goatherd.

Whered you go?

Lol, sorry, I lost track there!

I've just finished my first year at Oxford (I'm not a brainbox, serious, been struggling the whole way through :frown:).

Reply 38
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Lol, sorry, I lost track there!

I've just finished my first year at Oxford (I'm not a brainbox, serious, been struggling the whole way through :frown:).

Studying music im geussing?
Roobagnall
Studying music im geussing?

Yep. I couldn't study anything else, I just love it too much! :smile:

Latest