The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd go and live in France for a few dozen years, but that's just me.
Reply 2
Koconut
I'd go and live in France for a few dozen years

that difficult?

... :s-smilie:
Reply 3
French is written in our alphabet, which is an immediate advantage over Chinese, say. In addition, it comes from the same Indo-European family as English, and this leads to plenty of similarities in terms of vocab. So in short, it's easier than a lot of languages. Wikibooks rates it in its easiest class of languages for English-speakers (Category 1), at about 23-24 weeks to fluent with intensive learning. Obviously it'll vary with individuals and teachers, but the consensus is it's among the easier ones for English-speakers.
I found it harder than German, even though I'd studied it for longer.
Reply 5
I found it WAY easier than German.
*shudder*... German...
Reply 6
Love French!!!
I found it easier than German as well
It varies in difficulty depending on the person learning: some find it easy, some less so.
It is however probably easier than most modern foreign languages as it is closer to english than some others and is written in the same alphabet.

Are you learning it for any particular reason, i.e. exams, or for fun, or for holidays?
Because the reason will determine what would be the best way for you to learn.
No not that difficult. It's a category 1 language for native English speakers- that is on a scale of 3, with 3 being the most difficult for native English speakers and including Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, and Arabic. English speakers share a large Romance vocabulary with French speakers, the syntax is similar and the alphabet identical. However, learning any new language is a challenge, particularly for those into adulthood. It depends on your motivation and, to some degree, your linguistic ability. French instruction is easy to access (it's not like you propose to learn Qechua) and it's easy to spend time in France. So now, learn the language!
Mr Dactyl
French is written in our alphabet, which is an immediate advantage over Chinese, say. In addition, it comes from the same Indo-European family as English, and this leads to plenty of similarities in terms of vocab. So in short, it's easier than a lot of languages. Wikibooks rates it in its easiest class of languages for English-speakers (Category 1), at about 23-24 weeks to fluent with intensive learning. Obviously it'll vary with individuals and teachers, but the consensus is it's among the easier ones for English-speakers.

Unfortunately, it will take much more than 23-24 weeks to become fluent. A functional level is possible in that time, but nothing like fluency.
Reply 10
dismal_laundry
Unfortunately, it will take much more than 23-24 weeks to become fluent. A functional level is possible in that time, but nothing like fluency.

Ah, yes, sorry, I misread, the figure is for "general professional proficiency" in reading and speaking.
Reply 11
French grammar is unbelievably easy. The vocabulary is also very similar to English. There are difficult aspects, however: the French speak very fast; it can be hard to perfect your pronunciation, etc...
I think I found (find) German easier because I'm more passionate about it - I actually want to be able to speak German, whereas French was nice to learn for a while and then it was just a bit pointless. I found the grammar confusing after I started learning German because I was trying to apply the German time rules etc. to French which doesn't work XD
Reply 13
Easy. Certainly easier than English would be for a French person.
It gets harder when you start playing with tenses and stuff, but for main vocabulary and stuff it's not very difficult. I found German quite easy, but we studied it a lot less than French at school, due to only having one German teacher.
kiss_me_now9
I found it harder than German, even though I'd studied it for longer.

ditto. I've studied French for seven years, and German for five. My conversational French is probably better, but my French grammar is worse.

Ironic really, seeing as German is renowned for being gramatically difficult.
It's harder than English (because all languages are) but it's not too difficult. It's quite nice. Go for it.
Actually, English is renowned for being a bloody difficult language to learn. I can't really comment, but due to the bizarre pronunciation system we have going on, I believe many many foreigners struggle. The only reason they get so proficient is because high value is placed on learning English, it's taught from an early age, and it can be found in songs, on product packets online etc; so there's more exposure.
*Nods* I had to try and convince that my first german exchanges mum that dove (the bird), dove (swimming) and dough (bread) weren't pronounced the same. It took me ten minutes to work out what she was saying...
Reply 19
Kestrel_Lover_Sophie

Are you learning it for any particular reason, i.e. exams, or for fun, or for holidays?
Because the reason will determine what would be the best way for you to learn.

for fun and to learn . seems interesting. i'm thinking to take it next term. (it's either Mandarin or French), would love to learn the latter:biggrin:

kiss_me_now9
French was nice to learn for a while and then it was just a bit pointless

i'm afraid if i loose motivation this will happen...:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending