The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think it is possible to do without having done it at GCSE.ask ur school
i just checked, she can do a level history without the GCSE

is it really so bad a gap that she will have no trouble with a level history by not doing GCSE history?
It depends on the school / college but probably. My sixth form preferred people doing A Level History to have done it for GCSE but accepted those who had done other humanities, probably on the assumption that they would have gained similar skills
She will have to do a bit of catching up, but if she puts in the time and effort then there should be no problem.

Maybe get her to do some practice material over the holidays in preparation?
One can! My friend did (but she got an E :s:)
problem is, apart from english and english literaure, she's not doing any humanities

she's quite clever though and seeing as i did history GCSEs before i figured she can ace history GCSEs regardless but i didnt do history a level so i dont know 'bout that
also- i would stop telling your sister what subjects to do. she needs to be able to decide for herself because you're not going to be there forever, and she might not have the same academic ability as you. there's no harm in recommending subjects, though. :smile:
well i believed i recommended triple science but i think i may have been telling her instead of helping

i recommended science because science is important....

and GCSEs are only there to get to a decent college i would have thought, but i may have been wrong...
Astudentinneed
well i believed i recommended triple science but i think i may have been telling her instead of helping

i recommended science because science is important....

and GCSEs are only there to get to a decent college i would have thought, but i may have been wrong...

Seriously, please stop worrying. She wont 'mess up her GCSE's', the sciences are well respected and she'll be ahead of the people who only did double if she decides to take any of them on to A-level.
The school have already said she doesn't need the GCSE. My tutor told me that the skills and methods used at A-level are very different from those at GCSE. In fact I think that not having done the GCSE puts me at an advantage - I can view the subject with a fresh mind, not bogged down by presuppositions from GCSE. It's now my favourite subject and I don't think I could be doing any better had I had a History GCSE.

However, as others have said. Stop trying to plan your sisters life for her. I'm sure she's capable of doing it herself.

Latest