The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes...mostly in Spanish because I work entirely with Central Americans.
Reply 41
All the time.
I also find myself aksing my parents something in French all the time totally forgetting they don't know what I'm saying.
(Which is a good thing because I can say all the stuff I don't want them to hear).
And since visiting France, the whole group of us that went find ourselves just talking French whenever we meet. Just because we can!

Mostly I think to myself in Espanol.
I'm finding myself do it as I type (but I am watching the Gypsy Kings at the moment).
It's good to keep your mind going. And your langauge skills up to scratch.
Because when your talking to yourself mistake sdont matter.
Reply 42
Definitely! A few years ago, I found it hard to say numbers in English. I worked in a shop and used to count how many things I needed to put on the shelves in French. That soon moved over into maths, where I would be like: "right that's huit, and that's dix neuf...donc...":redface: So annoying:p: I'm used to it now though:biggrin:
Reply 43
I say stuff in Italian, which I can understand pretty well. My accent's quite good actually, so I often repeat words of songs by Italian singers (which my mum listens to). Bit problematic when I was singing to myself at the bus stop in Italian and some genuine Italian guy turned to me and started gabbling away in Italian at me. I stared at him for a few minutes and was like "non hai capito" (which I'm sure isn't correct). He walked off somewhat disgusted by this fraudulent person :p:
Reply 44
Fillette
I say stuff in Italian, which I can understand pretty well. My accent's quite good actually, so I often repeat words of songs by Italian singers (which my mum listens to). Bit problematic when I was singing to myself at the bus stop in Italian and some genuine Italian guy turned to me and started gabbling away in Italian at me. I stared at him for a few minutes and was like "non hai capito" (which I'm sure isn't correct). He walked off somewhat disgusted by this fraudulent person :p:

Non ho capito :tongue:
Reply 45
Fleece

I was just about to correct it :p:
Non hai capito is "you don't understand", lol, which I'm sure he did :biggrin:
Reply 46
Anatheme
I was just about to correct it :p:
Non hai capito is "you don't understand", lol, which I'm sure he did :biggrin:

Actually means you didn't understand if we're getting panickity :p:
Reply 47
Fleece
Actually means you didn't understand if we're getting panickity :p:

Sorry, I'm not English, so I just translated to French, then to English and that's deffo not a good idea :p:
Reply 48
Fleece

Righty, thankyou! :smile: I shall learn to say it for next time I decide to sing at bustops and strange Italian men decide to pop up and start conversations with me :p:
Reply 49
Anatheme
Sorry, I'm not English, so I just translated to French, then to English and that's deffo not a good idea :p:

Haha yeah always difficult!
xJessx
Yeah there's a certain etiquette to speaking in another language. I wouldn't like it if someone was speaking in a language that I couldn't understand but it's just so tempting!

Haha, I'm the opposite. I have a russian and a south african friend and I find it fascinating when they chat away in their respective languages. I'm just a bit of a geek like that though :p:

I slip in and out of German, random words. I sing a lot of songs (Tokio Hotel FTW!) and translate them in my head as I'm going...
ciaranfleck
I had my first dream in German this year at uni... freaked me out..

Oh yeah I had one last year. Only one so far, but I woke up and went, "Wha?"
I'm always doing that with Japanese.
Also, since I've moved to the UK, I hardly speak german anymore, it was never my mother tongue to start with and my family just sort of got into english more than with german.
So EVERY time I watch german TV or talk german to my aunt there or something, it all comes back and I find myself momentarily forgetting how to say something in english.
Reply 53
Yep, all of those! GOD I'm weird...
Emma27
translate randomly from english to another language in your head? say, a script when you're watching a film in english?

when alone, realise your mind is thinking about how you would talk to other people in foreign languages?

talk to yourself in other languages (by accident)?

read things in a foreign language and think about how to say it in another?

make notes using foreign words because they sometimes come to mind quicker?

...or anything else strange?

weird, i know. i am curious. :s-smilie: :p:

I actually do all of those things :-/ Ah dear.
Yup... I often have made up conversations with made up people in Spanish... but I do it to practice so I don't class it as weird lol
I do all those things. :biggrin: Sometimes, I find it easier to express what I mean using foreign words, but then other people don't understand me. :frown:
I dream in French quite often. It's really weird when you wake up and you're like "Wha?!".
I've never dreamt in German though. It's 'cause I suck. (:
I've only had the chance to do two languages at school, French and German, but hopefully I can study Spanish and at Uni! I really want to learn an asian language, but I'm not really sure how to go about that, I don't particularly want to go down the self teach route. :frown:
C.o.o.k.i.e
I think it would be the subjunctive as well! So... Je ne pense pas que tu sois seulement...

But i duno! I'm probs wrong!

But in relation to the opening questions, ya i do sometimes try to translate just random things i see into either french or spanish, and sometimes when i see things on tv etc i'll try and think of how to phrase them in another lang.
So nopes you're defo not alone! :biggrin:

You are correct :smile: same with 'je ne crois pas que...' :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending