The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by viriol
Good point. I think I can see how Jesus as the Son might be a hurdle there. That has to do with the miracles situation, I suppose. Do Sikhs really reject miracles (such as a child being born with no man as a father) or are they simply skeptical? If it's the former, I guess that is incompatible with Christianity. If it's the latter, then I guess you could accomodate belief in a few?

Can't speak for all Sikhs, but I reject miracles, I believe that Sikh philosophy rejects miracles as well. When Guru Tegh Bahadur was arrested and taken to Delhi by Mughal forces, the emperor at the time (Aurangzeb) asked him to perform some sort of a miracle and he would be set free. The Guru replied by telling him that he did not perform miracles, nor did he believe in them. He was then given the choice of converting to Islam or being killed, and he chose the latter.
Reply 861
:smile: feel free to ask any question realated to Sikhi . ..
What is a basic outline of what you believe? How does it compare to the Abrahamic religions?
why are sikhs so hairy, why do sikhs have a division in the racist EDL.
Original post by nadarat
:smile: feel free to ask any question realated to Sikhi . ..

Theres already an ask about Sikhism thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619109
Reply 865
Original post by The Epicurean
What is a basic outline of what you believe? How does it compare to the Abrahamic religions?

Original post by The Epicurean

Hi Epicurean ,

Sikhi is basically a Dharmic religion and Sikh literally means a Student ,ie a student of Guru/Teacher .

As per Sikhi We all humans have Soul ,which is seprated from our permanent home ie all pervading ,formless , birthless,deathless,hateless GOD/Waheguru under the influnce of illusion/Maya , illusion/maya consist of five elements namely KAM(Lust) ,KRODH (Anger),LOBH ( Greed), MOH(attachment) and AHANKAR(Ego).

one can came out of illusion/Maya by following the teachings of Guru/Teacher and find his/her permanent home/peace within .

Guru Nanak the first Sikh Guru was followed by nine more Gurus . the tenth/last human Guru Guru Gobind Singh ji at his last momemts ordered all Sikhs to follow Guru Granth Sahib ji (The Sikh Scripture) as next eternal Guru.
Do you think it's fair that your religion forces naturally hairy girls to grow moustaches?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 867
Is it true that you can have multiple wives?
Reply 868
Original post by nadarat

As per Sikhi We all humans have Soul ,which is seprated from our permanent home ie all pervading ,formless , birthless,deathless,hateless GOD/Waheguru

I have never understood why some Sikhs believe this.

Guru Granth Sahib says on multiple occasions that God resides in each and every heart, how then are we separated?

Please answer a two of my questions:

1) What caused us to be "separated" from Waheguru in the first place?

2) Is this our first human birth? Or do you think there are people alive today who were humans in the past, did not "merge" with Waheguru, went through the 8.4 million life-cycle and are now getting another chance?
Reply 869
Original post by Noor90

Guru Granth Sahib says on multiple occasions that God resides in each and every heart, how then are we separated?

Please answer a two of my questions:

1) What caused us to be "separated" from Waheguru in the first place?

we are not separated , but there is illusion of separation due to Kam ,Krodh.. due to illusion we are unable to realize our true self .
Reply 870
Original post by nadarat
we are not separated , but there is illusion of separation due to Kam ,Krodh.. due to illusion we are unable to realize our true self .

Do you believe in reincarnation/karma?
Reply 871
Original post by Tigers
Is it true that you can have multiple wives?

its not true .
Are you allowed to eat beef?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 873
Original post by Noor90
Do you believe in reincarnation/karma?

:wink: yes .

karma =you reap what you sow ,for example if you don't study seriously you are bound to fail in exam or if you touch naked electricity wire you will bear electric shock .

i beleive in soul which is eternal does not perish with physical death of body , it take take multiple birth until it attains perfection ie NIRVAANA.

both are mentioned in SGGS.
Reply 874
Original post by IdeasForLife
Are you allowed to eat beef?

beef/meat is not forbidden but Sikhs are encouraged to be Veg .
Reply 875
Original post by nadarat
:wink: yes .

karma =you reap what you sow ,for example if you don't study seriously you are bound to fail in exam or if you touch naked electricity wire you will bear electric shock .

i beleive in soul which is eternal does not perish with physical death of body , it take take multiple birth until it attains perfection ie NIRVAANA.

both are mentioned in SGGS.

Do you believe that our karma determines what we reincarnate into after death?
Reply 876
Original post by Noor90
Do you believe that our karma determines what we reincarnate into after death?

if all our issues are resolved , we have "Understood THE GREAT PLAY ", Found peace Within then there is no rebirth .
but if our attachent to Worldly issues/Maya remained ,there are unfulfilled desires ,these will lead to our rebirth or DANCE IN ARENA again .

so ,you can say our action/karma have a role to play in this .
Reply 877
What is Sikhism's view on drugs (the illegal ones)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 878
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think any substance that harms your body is to be avoided, so they are prohibited.

Sikhism's view of "salvation" is "jeevan mukhti", to be liberated while still alive. To achieve this goal, a Sikh is to have complete control over his/her mind and actions at all times, so that is another reason drugs are prohibited, they make you a slave to your desires, when you should be in control 100% of the time.
Reply 879
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Noor answered Sikhi teaches us to face the challenge and live in real life instead of running away from truth by taking drugs .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending