The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

I know the above post has a link discussing the topic, but I was to ask a bit more on the topic and attain a better understanding of the topic of homosexuality within Sihkism.

The link above says that gay marriage is not permitted and that sexual relationships are onlypermitted between a man and a woman, but what are the general views on homosexual relationships? Are gay people free to engage in a homosexual relationships and do so without any punishment? Can one still be a sikh if they are openly gay and in a homosexual relationship? Also, can gay people adopt children?
Original post by The Epicurean
I know the above post has a link discussing the topic, but I was to ask a bit more on the topic and attain a better understanding of the topic of homosexuality within Sihkism.

The link above says that gay marriage is not permitted and that sexual relationships are onlypermitted between a man and a woman, but what are the general views on homosexual relationships? Are gay people free to engage in a homosexual relationships and do so without any punishment? Can one still be a sikh if they are openly gay and in a homosexual relationship? Also, can gay people adopt children?

Sikhs have nothing against gay people, and they are free to live peacefully along side sikhs. Sikhi believes in equality across all mankind i.e. Gender, race, age, sexuality. We do not discriminate against anyone based on their sexuality in this case.
People are free to engage in homosexual relationships if that is what they desire, however being a Sikh, a true Sikh, would mean that one has no desire for sexual activities at all. The only desire a true sikh has is that to be at one with God which is attained through meditation and singing the Lords glorious praises.
As far as punishment is concerned, it is not exclusive to only gays. If you act out of lust to engage in sexual activities with another human, then you are being consumed by something quite deadly in terms of spirituality (lust).
If gay people wanted to adopt children then they are free to do so, but you cannot be gay and be sikh by the very definition of what it means to be gay and sikh
I wonder if anyone could tell me what the Sikh views on Jesus are? Thank you (:
Original post by Diaz
I'm sorry but I disagree, I don't think you need to abstain yourself from cutting your hair and putting it into a turban just to show you are part of a religion. And I think no-one is scared to reveal which religion they believe in, they just see no reason to stop cutting their hair just to show they are religious. Most people openly admit that they are religious, when questioned. I think having a turban is rather a bold statement, you don't have to declare to the world you are sikh if someone asks which religion you are, you answer.

I respect your opinion very much. A Sikh is one who is baptised into Sikhism. Undergoing the ceremony of Amrit. Sikhs are generally not baptised at birth, and rather at a more mature age, i was baptised about a year ago, now 17, and i did so because i wanted too.

The keeping of hair has many meanings. The more majorly known is keeping it to not disfigure the body/ detachment from the world/ remain how god wants us too. However, there are deeper meanings, one of which is to due with meditation. We believe that when one meditates they sync with this cosmic "naad", a cosmic vibration. All hairs oscillate along with this.... Another is that when one is baptised, every single fibre, hair and cell also drinks the amrit. Therefore disrespecting the hairs/body is disrespecting the amrit, which we value immensely. This is why when our hair sheds we do not throw it in the bin, and rather keep it in a bag and then burn.

Hope this helps,

I am a mere nobody,

Daas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending