The Student Room Group

Universities with most aspiring Barristers

I thought I would post this information. It is very interesting to see which universities have the highest number of students confident enough to pursue the Barrister route. Notice that 19/20 of these universities are from the pre-1992 epoch. The only anomalous entry is Oxford Brookes, in 17th place!

2008 Statistics:

1 Oxford University
2 University of Cambridge
3 Durham University
4 University of Manchester
5 University of Birmingham
6 University of Bristol
7 University of Edinburgh
8 Cardiff University
9 Lancaster University
10 University of Leicester
11 University of Sheffield
12 University of Leeds
13 Queen’s University Belfast
14 University of Warwick
15 Newcastle University
16 University of Bath
17 Oxford Brookes University
18 University of Southampton
19 King’s College London
20 University of Liverpool

http://www.groupgti.com/gtiresearch/pdfs/Barristers.pdf (page 4)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's that interesting, but never mind.
When I first read this table I read it as "universities with the most people at the Bar", but now I see what it really is, it is quite frankly useless.
Reply 3
:yawn:
Reply 4
Omg. Why isn't LSE on there?
I'm confident and I haven't even got my GCSE results yet.
Reply 5
maybe LSE has more of the solicitor-type people
Reply 6
I find it suprising that Durham is in 3rd place. Last I heard they weren't great at making barristers, most students wanted to be solicitors by the time they left.
Reply 7
{City17}
maybe LSE has more of the solicitor-type people

Maybe. Does anyone know if the majority of Law graduates become solicitors or barristers? Possibly a fairly pointless question.
LSE has more 'city-types' (as in it feeds the big IBs/law firms with almost all of its grads)/internationals who don't want to stay in the UK from what I've heard.

No doubt more law grads become solicitors than barristers. Just numerically there are far more solicitors than barristers.
Reply 9
{City17}

7 University of Edinburgh

Odd, considering you don't get barristers in Scotland. :p:
It's interesting that Manchester is so high. Even though I'm not doing Law there -- I'm doing Classics -- I do hope to become a barrister thereafter.

These statistics should of course be taken with a pinch of pepper when drawing inferences therefrom (as people tend to do), however.
Reply 11
Lewisy-boy
LSE has more 'city-types' (as in it feeds the big IBs/law firms with almost all of its grads)/internationals who don't want to stay in the UK from what I've heard.

No doubt more law grads become solicitors than barristers. Just numerically there are far more solicitors than barristers.

This probably closer ot the truth as the LSE doesn't appear on the list for solicitors either :confused:

University attended
Rank University
1 University of Manchester
2 University of Cambridge
3 Durham University
4 Oxford University
5 University of Leicester
6 University of Exeter
7 Lancaster University
8 University of Edinburgh
9 University of Bristol
10 University of Birmingham
11 University of Warwick
12 University of Nottingham
13 University of Sheffield
14 Newcastle University
15 Oxford Brookes University
16 University of Southampton
17 Queen’s University Belfast
18 University of Reading
19 Cardiff University
20 King’s College London

Haaaang on. Neither does UCL, I'm growing more sceptical of this list by the minute ;sandhu;
Reply 12
correct me if im wrong but doesnt UCL have one of the highest proportions of international students in the UK? maybe that would explain why it is not included in the lists
Reply 13
{City17}
correct me if im wrong but doesnt UCL have one of the highest proportions of international students in the UK? maybe that would explain why it is not included in the lists

the % of international students in the law faculty of UCL is not particularly high when compared to some of the unis on that list, like Nottingham, Warwick and Manchester, all of which have quite a few internationals reading law. also, not all internationals go back to their home country right after their degree. some do stay for the LPC/BVC and TC/Pupilage, then go back.
Reply 14
Prudy
I find it suprising that Durham is in 3rd place. Last I heard they weren't great at making barristers, most students wanted to be solicitors by the time they left.

Is it really? I don't think so at all. I have been doing mini-pupillages for the past two weeks basically and I do find the absence of London universities very surprising, as basically the majority go to Oxbridge, and then the few others I have met either go to the LSE, UCL or Durham. The odd one went to Bristol and King's as well.

I have certainly yet to meet a barrister who went to Birmingham or Manchester, but I know for a fact that there are a couple who went to Birmingham at 11 Stone Buildings (I am going to ask for a mini-pupillage on the quiet there at some point).

In answer to the Edinburgh question...you can still practice if you went to Edinburgh- aspirant barristers will have to take the conversion course obviously, but students from Edinburgh do go to the Bar. I know my Dad instructed Zoe Barton (Micha's sister) recently and that she went to Edinburgh. So it's not out of the equation at all.
Reply 15
AdamTJ
Is it really? I don't think so at all. I have been doing mini-pupillages for the past two weeks basically and I do find the absence of London universities very surprising, as basically the majority go to Oxbridge, and then the few others I have met either go to the LSE, UCL or Durham. The odd one went to Bristol and King's as well.

I have certainly yet to meet a barrister who went to Birmingham or Manchester, but I know for a fact that there are a couple who went to Birmingham at 11 Stone Buildings (I am going to ask for a mini-pupillage on the quiet there at some point).

In answer to the Edinburgh question...you can still practice if you went to Edinburgh- aspirant barristers will have to take the conversion course obviously, but students from Edinburgh do go to the Bar. I know my Dad instructed Zoe Barton (Micha's sister) recently and that she went to Edinburgh. So it's not out of the equation at all.

I only find it suprising as my contract lecturer has previosuly commented that most Durham graduates seem to find themselves in the city with the Magic Circle, as opposed to in chambers.

TBH, I don't think how many people from x university do mini puillages is indicative of how many people from x university will end up doing a pupillage.
Reply 16
I'm not talking about the mini-pupils. I'm talking about the barristers themselves.
Reply 17
so this list is basically asking a few students "do you want to be a barrister, solicitor or niether?" wow thats really useful :rolleyes:
For Edinburgh: you don'thave to take the whole conversion course, just 3 modules, although I can't remember which one of them is definitely land because someone I know went to Edinburgh and is converting to English law to become a solicitor, and I presume it's the same for barristers.
Actually I do think it is at least slightly interesting in that Oxbridge students are more likely to TRY to go to the Bar, presumably this contributes at least slightly to the increased proportion of Oxbridgers who SUCCEED...

Latest

Trending

Trending