Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the workers among us...

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just though we could chat/moan about our jobs and tell each other things that have happened during the day or the week.

Ok, I'll start

I'm working as a labourer in a metal cutting factory (predominantly steel) over the summer before I go back to uni to pay off my overdraft & save then spend eventually when I get back once the loan has come through.

I work from 730am - 430pm Mon-Thur and from 730am - 1pm Fri, with a 20 minute break & a half hour unpaid lunchbreak.

My job involves:

Doing nothing (most of the time).
    Stacking metal from a conveyer belt after it's been guiletined.
    Nailing pallets together.
    Banding/putting covers on the finished jobs.
    Putting rods in the ancient machine to hold the metal up as the bar which is supposed to do that is broken.

So far no bad injuries but after 3 weeks working I've got through 2 pairs of gloves and my hands have been destroyed and are covered in little cuts (especially the finger tips) also I have been cut lots on my arms and the tracky bottoms I wear have been sliced up pretty badly.

I have so much time to kill at work, only 3 of us actually work in the factory, & my job is the least important. MZ (the cutter, who's called MZ or MG I can't decide yet is called that because the boss can't pronounce his name after about 6 months ) spends a lot of time preparing orders, meaning that I have nothing to, do even when I ask (except the odd job)... Both him and the boss just say things like 'do some tidy up' or 'chill' but I'll be moaned at for doing nothing so the way I pass time is by going into the wood shed in the back.

Today I had to peel some special cover off about 200 1ftx1ft steel sqaures... After that (took about 2 hours) I put all the sticky sheets together and made a massive ball (It was a beast, trust me) which I killed time with in the back room by throwing it across about 15ft and trying to get it in the giant bin, that was my time killer today :laugh:.

How was everyone elses day?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waitress, except they haven't bothered training me to have my own section so I'm just running, and therefore not getting tips :/
    • 2 followers

i like my job :^_^: apart from being given all the dirty jobs ;dry;

i lost a chunk of finger after touching a wall in a room being kept at -27c
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadinus)
    I'm a waitress, except they haven't bothered training me to have my own section so I'm just running, and therefore not getting tips :/
    Ah no ask for training? Can't hurt surely.. Or ask for your own section.

(Original post by dh00001)
    i lost a chunk of finger after touching a wall in a room being kept at -27c
    This week :eek: dear me... Where u work by the way?

I got naked in a McDonald's walk in freezer once for some odd reason... Probably killing time, thank god I didn't touch the walls and lose a chunk of something else

I lie :laugh: I was only topless.
    • 2 followers

i work as a an electrical engineering apprentice and travel around really.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i wish i had a job to moan about, i was told today the job i was planning to start at marks and spencers in two week was withdrawn due to a fall in the economy, charming
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    if i wish i had a job to moan about, i was told today the job i was planning to start at marks and spencers in two week was withdrawn due to a fall in the economy, charming
    Unlucky

You can moan about not having a job if you want...

Have you tried the Job Center website?? It got me my job

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2008
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.