The Student Room Group

Diploma needed to become a pharmacist?

I was talking to a locum and he was saying how you need to do 2 years diploma in order to get hospital jobs (that's definetly apparently) and as for community you will also need some diploma or other.

I find this bloody annoying simply as I don't want to spend all my life studying. Surely it's a cause of concern for us all?
Reply 1
You don't need a diploma to work in a hospital pharmacy as such - when you have done your prereg year you can chose to work in hospital if you want. Yes, you will do a clinical diploma but you do it when you are working.... and i am sure its only one year.

Maybe a real hospital pharmacist can shed some more light on this... please?
I've just accepted a clinical diploma place for this coming academic year (from sept). Its is a 2 year course, 1 day release from work each week for 12 weeks/semester i think it is to do more clinically focused work on subjects that crop up in day to day work.

Its being paid for by my employer (NHS) whihc is great. You don't need a diploma to work in hospital pharmacy, but it is a requisite for getting senior jobs.

Personally, after 2 years away from uni, i'm quite looking forward to going back to that kind of environment (not to mention the perks you get with the student card!)
Reply 3
Jimmocrates
I've just accepted a clinical diploma place for this coming academic year (from sept). Its is a 2 year course, 1 day release from work each week for 12 weeks/semester i think it is to do more clinically focused work on subjects that crop up in day to day work.

Its being paid for by my employer (NHS) whihc is great. You don't need a diploma to work in hospital pharmacy, but it is a requisite for getting senior jobs.

Personally, after 2 years away from uni, i'm quite looking forward to going back to that kind of environment (not to mention the perks you get with the student card!)

You say it's a prerequiste for getting senior jobs so could you not do the diploma later on in life. Also, will this remote supervision thing affect hospitals?
You can do the diploma when you like (so long as you have a year's experience). I'm choosing to do it now as it's on offer and its the course i wanted.

Remote supervision isn't something that will affect hospital.
I don't think you'd really get any higher than a band 6 (i.e. where you start when you qualify) without a clinical diploma. If you look at ads for a band 7 job they will usually state you need a clinical diploma or be working towards one.

Even though it's a lot of hard work I'm actually looking forward to doing mine when the time comes because you'll learn so much from it. (Wow I'm a geek haha)
Reply 6
-Emmz-
I don't think you'd really get any higher than a band 6 (i.e. where you start when you qualify) without a clinical diploma. If you look at ads for a band 7 job they will usually state you need a clinical diploma or be working towards one.

Even though it's a lot of hard work I'm actually looking forward to doing mine when the time comes because you'll learn so much from it. (Wow I'm a geek haha)

seemed like in the other thread you weren't too happy with your pay, however I remember you saying ''looking forward to getting my bmw'' hehe:biggrin:
x
member9876
seemed like in the other thread you weren't too happy with your pay, however I remember you saying ''looking forward to getting my bmw'' hehe:biggrin:
x

Lol well, my pay will be enough for me to live on ... but it is a little disheartening when some of my uni friends are gonna be on 10k more than me. However, I know I'm doing the area of pharmacy that interests me most and that's what matters really.
Reply 8
I know this is off-topic(ish) but what do you need to do to independently prescribe? Do you need a clinical diploma for that too?
Reply 9
-Emmz-
Lol well, my pay will be enough for me to live on ... but it is a little disheartening when some of my uni friends are gonna be on 10k more than me. However, I know I'm doing the area of pharmacy that interests me most and that's what matters really.

uni mates as in 'pharmacy uni mates' or other areas?
member9876
uni mates as in 'pharmacy uni mates' or other areas?

Pharmacy uni mates.

Latest

Trending

Trending