The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
jonathan122
How are you today, Tufts?

I'm really good today actually :smile: Thank you for asking :hugs:

My depression is unpredictable. I've recently started keeping a brief diary to observe and record my mood each day to see if there are any patterns.

How are you?
Reply 61
It's sick, in fact. If they know that they can help people, if they know that they can prevent another statistic then why do they make people wait around for months on end? Thank god for the NHS, I say. Although the National Health Service is hardly "free at the point of delivery", either.
Continued from the last thread....

Someone mentioned Girl Interrupted, I watched it yesterday, is it just me or does that seem to give a really really contorted view of mental illness. It seemed like a massive game for most of the film, them all laughing and joking, only when

Spoiler

did any kind of seriousness come about. No wonder you can say put on a happy face, go out and have fun with friends to cure depression because that film gave no idea about the reality of depression at all. Well, at least to me it didn't.
Reply 63
Sabertooth, I watched it yesterday too (after it was mentioned) and I completely agree. Though, it is a true story, apparently. I could be wrong.
Reply 64
I watched it years ago but couldn't remember it. Though I could relate to a few lines.

Spoiler

Laus
Sabertooth, I watched it yesterday too (after it was mentioned) and I completely agree. Though, it is a true story, apparently. I could be wrong.

It's based on a book which is a true story, a quick read of the wiki article for the book, the book seems more realistic than the movie.

I noticed them lines too laus.
Reply 66
Sabertooth
It's based on a book which is a true story, a quick read of the wiki article for the book, the book seems more realistic than the movie.

I noticed them lines too laus.

The thing is, saber, people don't want to see or understand the reality of depression. It isn't about playing crazy or acting like a ****. It isn't about wearing eyeliner and drawing attention to yourself. It's nothing like how the movies portray. Depression doesn't make good TV.
Yeah I guess a bunch of people sitting crying on their beds doesn't make good entertainment except to sadists. Of course it's so different from person to person as well I guess it can never be properly portrayed. Still the movie annoyed me for its happy go lucky everything will be ok kind of attitude for most of it.
Laus
It's sick, in fact. If they know that they can help people, if they know that they can prevent another statistic then why do they make people wait around for months on end? Thank god for the NHS, I say. Although the National Health Service is hardly "free at the point of delivery", either.

Most CBT therapists work for the NHS as well, and do private work outside of GP hours - they make people wait for months on end because demand is so high - there literally just isn't enough time for them to see everyone in a 9-5 day. As regards to "making money out of our misery", you've got to remember that therapists are people too - they've dedicated their lives to trying to help people, often spending years in training for the correct qualifications, and they have families to support.

CBT isn't just talking, if it were then yes, you could just talk to the Samaritans for the price of a phone bill.
yea girl interuppted i thought was good ,it is a true story tho,the people in it weren't all suffering from depression some had anorexia ,****zophrenia,even Ocd! i thought it was okay anyway:s-smilie:
Anyone here like Big Brother? 3 new housemates are going in tonight ,i can't wait!:redface: .
anywho bye:smile:
Reply 70
I see your point, jonathan. I have often thought of becoming a therapist myself. I'm more angry that money that could be going towards therapy is being spent on other rubbish that people don't really need.

-----

The film was good but it doesn't portray mental illness. I don't know, perhaps it did.
Dalimyr
Hi Billy :hugs:

Hello, Holly. How are you? :hugs:
Reply 72
Hey all, just letting you know that pink Saffires aka charlotte sends her love, her mum has banned her from the internet because her room is messy x
Reply 73
generalebriety
Hello, Holly. How are you? :hugs:

Could be better, but I'm not too bad. Just trying to keep from going out of my mind, since for the whole week I'd only have people over the internet to turn to (and after subjecting Oli to that last year I'd rather not do it again :redface: I still shy away from telling him the full extent of how I'm feeling so he might not worry about me so much)
;poo i feel like earlier. meh
xemilyx
Hey all, just letting you know that pink Saffires aka charlotte sends her love, her mum has banned her from the internet because her room is messy x

mum's gone to the shop so i flicked the net on to say hi to you all! can't stay though..she'll only be a couple of minutes.

I'm feeling pretty down but never mind.

Hope everyone is ok :hugs:
Ooo, new thread.
Hi guys, I hope you're all ok. I'm a bit annoyed because my psychiatrist is on holiday until the end of july and they haven't found a replacement doctor for me.
meh.

Also,I have a guy issue. I actually like him which is strange for me seeing as I havent liked a guy since my abusive ex and the whole abortion last year. Thing is, he's a gap year student here from Argentina and he's going home at the end of august.

*sighs*
Feeling not so great, not as bad as this morning, though. The funeral went as it should, so that was good and no punch ups! But it only really hit me last night that he's gone :cry: Then work was boring, it was so quiet. Glad to be home, so I can just curl up in a ball and cry, because that's all I feel like doing.
Reply 78
:hugs: raspberry

Hope everyone's ok x
Reply 79
:h:ugs: for everyone. Fear setting in and so are bad thoughts and paranoia. Isn't this going to be a fun week?

Latest