The Student Room Group

Accountancy with a 2:2 MPhys Degree?

Hi guys. I am approaching my 4th year for an MPhys Physics degree and although I will most likely get a 2:1 (I will do whatever it takes :p: ) I am wondering what the chances are of getting an accountancy job with a reputable firm with a 2:2 grade?

Also, how does a 2:2 MPhys Physics degree compare with a 2:1 BSc Physics degree?
degree doesnt matter for the bigger firms, a 2.1 is all you need and 2.2 rules u out regardless of subject/uni etc which in alot of cases isnt fair/allow best students to apply.
Reply 2
john williams
degree doesnt matter for the bigger firms, a 2.1 is all you need and 2.2 rules u out regardless of subject/uni etc which in alot of cases isnt fair/allow best students to apply.

Even though it is a masters degree?
Reply 3
yep...

KPMG even state that they still require the basic GCSE grades even if you have a PhD :s
Reply 4
I don't think they ask for your post grad mark, only undergrad.

Your best bet would be to contact the Big4 + other firms to clarify this.
I did an MChem, and I still had to get a 2:1 (Big four).
Reply 6
ElemenT'
I don't think they ask for your post grad mark, only undergrad.

Your best bet would be to contact the Big4 + other firms to clarify this.

An MPhys degree is still counted as an undergrad degree as is an MChem and MMath. I haven't heard of a uni which doesn't grade you with 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc this is because you don't get a BSc then a masters, you just get the 4 year masters degree
Reply 7
Thank you for clearing that up. :smile:

Learn something new everyday!
Reply 8
I have a 2:2 for a decent uni (with extenuating circumstances) and an MSc and a PhD and straight A's at A-level.
PwC and KPMG were not interesed in my application and rejected me straight away. I wrote to each of them explaining my situation and they simply said they require a 2:1 and will not consider me.

I'm now happily working at a mid-tier firm, but it is frustrating that the Big 4 use such a blunt tool to judge applications. Is a 2:1 in media studies from the University of Middlesex better than a 2:2 in maths from Cambridge? The Big 4 seem to think so...
ted209
I have a 2:2 for a decent uni (with extenuating circumstances) and an MSc and a PhD and straight A's at A-level.
PwC and KPMG were not interesed in my application and rejected me straight away. I wrote to each of them explaining my situation and they simply said they require a 2:1 and will not consider me.

I'm now happily working at a mid-tier firm, but it is frustrating that the Big 4 use such a blunt tool to judge applications. Is a 2:1 in media studies from the University of Middlesex better than a 2:2 in maths from Cambridge? The Big 4 seem to think so...

While I agree with what you're saying my guess would be that it would just be too difficult for them to make exceptions for people with 2.2's from decent unis etc. They'd have to review each such person on a case by case basis and probably for how much that would cost it wouldn't be worth it..
Reply 10
the harsh reality of things is that large business are innudated with so many applications every year and the 2:1 is predomintly used as a filtering mechanism. I agree that some kids can be unlucky and maybe just doing the wrong degree and can often underachieve.

Just focus on gaining experience at what you do and do the corresponding qualifications. There is always the chance that even with a 2:2, you can be taken in via the experience hire route
Its perfectly possible to get into big four with a 2:2 from a decent uni-I managed it (without any of this extenuating circumstances rubbish) and I'm certainly not the only one in my office
Reply 12
Beancounter
Its perfectly possible to get into big four with a 2:2 from a decent uni-I managed it (without any of this extenuating circumstances rubbish) and I'm certainly not the only one in my office

If you don't mind me askin beancounter did you apply with a projected 2:1 mark?

Cheers
Oli
No I applied with a 2:2 Ba plus MEng
Reply 14
Beancounter

It is possible but still very tricky from my experience. I got a job offer with PwC (I put down a predicted 2:1 when applying) but then when I got my result (a 2:2 at 58.5%) they decided there was not enough supporting evidence to show that I could pass the CA exams and withdrew the offer. Yet on the other hand one of the guys I talked to at the assessment centre (who worked for the firm and had already obtained his professional qualification) managed to get in with a 2:2. I got my degree from a respectable uni (particularly for accounting & finance) so I guess it's the luck of the draw (or maybe I simply didn't try hard enough to convince them otherwise at the meeting they had with me after they found out my result).

Which of the big four do you work for just out of interest?

Latest

Trending

Trending