The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I did at least three of your subjects, so here's what I think:

English - I did SGrade, so there was a big jump here. At college, you won't have nearly enough teacher input, which is really vital in English. Seeing that it is one of the hardest subjects (statistically) to get an A in, getting a good grade is just as much about keeping a level head and thinking clearly than it is about the knowledge of the text. This is why English is so sought after. This, I think, will be the most taxing subject for you. I loved it, and thank goodness my school runs the Advanced Higher.

Maths - Apparently you are more likely to pass Higher Maths if you come up with a Credit 1/2 and not an Int 2 award. Maths wouldn't be impossible to be taught with reduced teacher input, but I wouldn't like to try it. Perhaps reading up on topics like the calculus over summer would be beneficial, but you could probably get an A in this if you work really really hard and understand everything. The jump here will still be substantial, however, but you should be able to cope.

Physics - Now doing an Int 2 in here will do you a favour. The Int 2 course is far more relevant to Higher than the SGrade course. Higher Physics was my hardest subject - not for the maths, but for more of the understanding. You really need an excellent teacher to understand the important concepts. Like in English, no amount of past papers can truly secure you for the final exam, as shown by this year's paper which was quite different to what I expected. The jump here, whilst still a jump, shouldn't be beyond you. Getting an A though will still take a lot of work, i.e doing every past paper back to 1989, many of the different internet materials etc. The best resource for Physics, however, is a good teacher that you can question and nag.

I've heard that Higher Biology isn't that big a jump from the Int2, so you should be fine there.

Higher Chemistry sounds to me to be hellish, but i haven't touched it since SGrade.

All in all, you have your work cut out for you. But don't worry - everyone has in S5!

If you ever need any help in English and Maths, give me a shout.
Reply 2
I think it's easier to do than with English, but you could have real problems with the NABs and the Extended Essay. You'd have to get the NABs from somewhere and sit them in supervised conditions, have them marked by a teacher and have them sent off. This would be the first problem i can forsee. That and the fact that the extended essay could pose a problem, with you having no access to research materials owned by a school or college. You'd therefore have to go to a library or something, which isn't as good as the specific books a school would have.

I must ask, why don't you just transfer to a state school?
Reply 3
No, I don't think there was a big jump. I picked subjects which I enjoyed though. I'm sure if you do the same, you'll be fine. I would even go as far in saying that i found intermediate 2 chemistry (and biology to an extent - because of the workload, though i never took these subjects to higher) to be even more hard work! I only did 3 highers this year though. (History, Computing & French along with int 2 maths & english.) so maybe my opinion won't be as valid as those who did 5 highers...
Like I said before though, pick subjects you ENJOY and you will do just fine!
Reply 4
asdfghjkl123456789
sorry for being dishonest, but i don't actually plan to do higher english- i realise it would be far too much without a teacher- i struggled with the int2, and that was basically just learning off essays. the reason i said i was, was because i thought i would get more responses if i said i was.
i actually plan to do history instead. so, how's history? could i self-teach it? also, i've found the markers for history at int2 to be quite pedantic, is this the case at higher?

NOOOOOOO!
Do NOT self-teach higher history. NO just no! You will NOT be able to do it!
^^ History does benefit from a teacher. My teacher was brilliant at helping us to remember all the iformation for the exam
Reply 6
asdfghjkl123456789
crap:frown:
i was hoping people weren't going to say teachers were so important.
have you seen the "understanding standards" website?
type it into google, pleeeassse, i need advice.
i only discovered it today, after i got back from work and ended up worrying about a question from my history int2 exam (still haven't gotten over these exams...quite annoying...my own fault but still, my summer holidays should be fun, how long does it take to mark a few exams? it's ridiculous)
anyway, how much help do you think the site will be?
what is it that needs a teacher? source skills? essays?

also, in my history, on a how useful, i said the following (this is VERY condensed):
-useful as it's primary, written at time of anschluss, so well informed on reactions to anschluss, most probably.
-useful as it was written by a politician. a large aspect of a politician's job is dependent on public reactions to current affairs, increasing likelihood they will be well informed on anscluss.
- shows a widespread reaction in " some people say that czechoslovakia will be hitler's next target but that is not our problem"- chamberlain, the PM's view is shown here- the view that it is all very far away from britain, so none of our business. so clearly a widespread reaction, increasing source's use. also shows churchill's view in " some people say that czechoslovakia will be hitler's next target "- the view held by Churchill, that we should be concerned by Hitler's actions.
-however, source's use is diminished by the fact that it is clearly biased towards the view of chamberlain as it says "that is not our problem" when presenting his view, but it says "some people say", suggesting detachment, when presenting churchill's.
what would i be likely to get?: i'm not sure about the last point.

Meh, for both higher and int 2 it's not hard to get full marks for the sources.
Just wait till August like everyone else, none of us are professional markers.
Reply 7
asdfghjkl123456789
thanks to everyone who chose to reply- some posts were quite helpful- should i really look over the maths, or just try to enjoy my holiday?
i've got a book which has calculus in it, 50 mathematical ideas, should i bother?
also, would it help a uni application if i did highers at a bad college instead of at a private school? assume i get the same grades at both.

If you did well I doubt they'd give a toss.

Latest

Trending

Trending