The Student Room Group

Math PS, I need serious help

So I won't to write a good PS, however I don't know how to start. Firstly, I do nothing extra like math competitions or work or tutor. See, I am a very boring person, an average day would be get up go to college, come home, revise for two hours, run for one and a half hours, internet than go to sleep.

I really don't know how to start. For example if you ask me why do you want to do mathematics? I would be like because I'm good at it and it interesting. See, doing mathematics was a pragmatic decision, I failed art and had two choices, maths or art. I didn't make a choice, and blam I'm doing mathematics. I don't even like it that much, it too tedious and boring, however its too late now. Then again, I do think I made the right decision and further maths is fun.

Anyway, I can't say I always wanted to do mathematics, as that is a lie. The reason I got into mathematics is that I had a dream about a friend who is doing mathematics, I woke up and said I want to do mathematics. I could write about the dream, however would that be weird, it would be interesting. You know, why do you want to do mathematics? and then I describe a dream I had.

I do further mathematics, so I could write about how I have to study it independently and how it is very fun. Also, I could write some crap about how I'm doing STEP 1 past papers and using dr Siklos book, and how I think it really fun because it more challenging and you have to be creative.

I think I will get a good reference from my AS math teacher. As I have only missed one lesson and I talk to him after class about maths proberly every lesson, so yeah I'm not worried about this. However, he might write I hate statistics as I complain about it alot.

My other interest is Psychology and the mind, I could write about how I read GEB and how stuff in logic plays apart in consciousness and AI. Then I could go into how proof is mean't to be truth in mathematics and abit about godel theorems and how this destroys this picture i.e. limits of mathematics.

I could also write about Chess and Long distance running.

To conclude, I'm stuck and all I have is a bunch of vague ideas. On the otherhand I did write a brillent PS for Art, I bet I can pull another one out.

P.S. I will make sure my sister proof reads my PS, as my English skills are poor.
Reply 1
To be honest, for Maths, I don't think *that* much attention is paid to the statement (well, my interviewers didn't seem to have) - don't try and be really different! Maybe writing strange stuff works for other subjects, but here I'd advise you to play it fairly safe. Also - don't start with the beginning!!! I roughly arranged mine beginning-maths-other-end, and I wrote it in the order 3-2-1-4 (obscured by endless rewrites, but that's not relevant). Dream seems a bit odd lol, although speaking as someone who doesn't dream, what do I know :tongue:.

I wouldn't put too much Godel in it; I think you'd have to be cautious saying things like "proof isn't meant to be truth" etc.

I think most of the things you've mentioned are probably worth mentioning to some extent.

I doubt your teacher will write "he hates stats", they might just say something more like "he particularly enjoys core, mechanics etc." (Or they might try and do you a favour and say you love it; when it really isn't, but yeah lol).

Don't fixate yourself on 4000chars/47 lines (I think I was more restricted for lines - lines between paragraphs = vital); you don't need to use all the space. I think I wrote about 40 lines total, including 6 or so blank ones, and (though I didn't think I did before) I turned out to have a reasonable amount of stuff to discuss.
Reply 2
To be honest, for Maths, I don't think *that* much attention is paid to the statement (well, my interviewers didn't seem to have)

I asked the admission tutor at Oxford university, he said Oxford don't care that much because they interview, however he added you're applying to other uni's. So basically, if they don't interview they care about your personal statement.
I roughly arranged mine beginning-maths-other-end, and I wrote it in the order 3-2-1-4 (obscured by endless rewrites, but that's not relevant).

Okay, I will try that.
I wouldn't put too much Godel in it; I think you'd have to be cautious saying things like "proof isn't meant to be truth" etc.

Why? would that annoy mathematician or something, I was going to quote chaitin limit of mathematics, and abit about philosophy. However, it could become annoying to read. Atleast, I will stand out.

Don't fixate yourself on 4000chars/47 lines (I think I was more restricted for lines - lines between paragraphs = vital); you don't need to use all the space. I think I wrote about 40 lines total, including 6 or so blank ones, and (though I didn't think I did before) I turned out to have a reasonable amount of stuff to discuss.

I read somewhere that you will be fighting to fit everything in at the end, however I don't believe that. I haven't thought about structure of the PS, however I will keep that in mind. I thought you had to use all the space or you look bad.

Dream seems a bit odd lol, although speaking as someone who doesn't dream, what do I know :tongue:.

I'm not going to put that in there. However, I would proberly just write about how a friend got me interested in mathematics, or something along that lines.

Is it good to quote something, as I'm thinking of quoting "mathematics is the language of nature", as the beginning of the introduction. Then talk about how mathematics is fascinating because how it describes nature and abit about how mathematics is real i.e. platonism.
Reply 3
(Note: (Applies to previous post as well) This should all be considered my opinion. I might be completely and utterly wrong.)

Yeah, but bear in mind Warwick basically give an offer to anyone who could conceivably meet it, and most of the other good places don't seem to be particularly hard to get offers from as long as you have the grades. (NB: I don't know what your grades will be like, I'm thinking 4a's onwards if you're already looking at step.)

What I mean to say is if phrased poorly (bear in mind the actual results themselves are not exactly simple, I'm not sure if I could explain it adequately given the whole 4k, yet alone a sentence or two), it could come across badly, especially if your statement is being read by a non-mathematician, which might happen. I just think the statement above seems quite blunt. Note that I don't really have a great deal of interest in either (philosophy or applications) of mathematics.

In my opinion, people who are struggling to cut it to size have filled it with unnecessary excess information. Maybe I did look bad for this, but not so bad as to not get 5 offers.

Don't begin with a quote :-p (there was a poll here quite recently), it's a bit painful.
Reply 4
Yeah, but bear in mind Warwick basically give an offer to anyone who could conceivably meet it, and most of the other good places don't seem to be particularly hard to get offers from as long as you have the grades.

How can Warwick give offers to anyone who can meet it?, wouldn't there be lots of people coming to warwick. Lots of people must miss it or something.

(NB: I don't know what your grades will be like, I'm thinking 4a's onwards if you're already looking at step.)

3a's, however I think I'm the only person who is going to do better in Further maths then regular maths.

I just think the statement above seems quite blunt. Note that I don't really have a great deal of interest in either (philosophy or applications) of mathematics.

Yeah, but I think what I wrote sounds good.

I have written about half of my PS now, however its only the first draft. Thanks for the help.

Don't begin with a quote :-p (there was a poll here quite recently), it's a bit painful.

Okay, I won't.
Reply 5
Simplicity
How can Warwick give offers to anyone who can meet it?, wouldn't there be lots of people coming to warwick. Lots of people must miss it or something.

I think they made about 1500 (this is 'home' only) last year, were accepted by about 500, and about 250-300ish made it. (AAAA or AAB2 including FM A2, various others without FM (all require 2 though)).
Reply 6
I found further maths easier than regular maths, although that was the problem of not finally 'getting' calculus until they introduced differential equations :smile:

Firstly, I've also read GEB and personally, though it was rubbish and not at all Mathsy; it talks about deriving meaning from rules IIRC, and to me, that detracts from what I see as the point of Uni pure mathematics: abstraction to the point of absurdity. Of course, you want to prove you are motivated to maths, but if you rely to heavly on that, it will sound like a Maths and Philosophy PS.

Also, you lack Mathematical 'stuff' to talk about in your personal statement, when realistically you are looking towards applying to top universities. Since a considerable amount (50% if not a lot more) must be maths related, I would split this into two parts. Firstly, talk about te curriculum, but differently to others. Why have you found FM interesting and easier, there must be some real spark in it that makes you find it better than the tedium of the formulaic approach to core maths - this is what maths is: Proof by Inspiration!! Talk about this, you are obviously excited about it. You could most definitely differentate between the maths-orientated people in our further maths set by who was interesting in FP2 and FP3.

The other thing that is most vital to talk about is stuff beyond the syllabus. Whether this revolves around the formal systems or Principia Mathematica you gained insight into from GEB, or the fact that you discuss (as a possibility) fractals with your maths teacher would be most interesting. Perhaps how you could talk about how Chess motivated you to undestand maths, and you love beyond able to abstract a situaton and envisage everything methodically. A paragraph on maths in chess would be most useful.

The other useful thing I will advise you is that everything can be stretched to make it look like an EC activity. I worked in a primary school for my work experience, but I claimed n my PS that "I decided to devote some time to teaching advanced primary school children extra mathematics, and this helped me see concepts such as time or basic algebra from fresh eyes and a new perspective" (or however I worded it.) Think of anything out of the ordinary that you did and use it to your advantage.

All the best,

:smile:
Reply 7
I found further maths easier than regular maths, although that was the problem of not finally 'getting' calculus until they introduced differential equations

I really don't understand people who don't get calculus. Saying that I have problems getting stats.
Firstly, I've also read GEB and personally, though it was rubbish and not at all Mathsy

I disagree, however I would like to add making a book have meaning is not a bad thing.
abstraction to the point of absurdity.

Abstraction is not mean't to be absurd, abstraction has meaning.
Also, you lack Mathematical 'stuff' to talk about in your personal statement, when realistically you are looking towards applying to top universities.

I will post my PS later, however I'm scare someone would take parts of it or something. Anyway, 90% of ps is about mathematics.
Why have you found FM interesting and easier, there must be some real spark in it that makes you find it better than the tedium of the formulaic approach to core maths

Thanks for that advice, I have just written a section about it. I have noticed that FM is less tedious then core maths.
Whether this revolves around the formal systems or Principia Mathematica you gained insight into from GEB, or the fact that you discuss (as a possibility) fractals with your maths teacher would be most interesting.

I have just expanded on the book Meta-Mathematics, saying that I took from it that the foundation of mathematics is based on randomness not reason.
Perhaps how you could talk about how Chess motivated you to undestand maths, and you love beyond able to abstract a situaton and envisage everything methodically. A paragraph on maths in chess would be most useful.

Wow, this has really helped me finishing the introduction of my PS, thank you.
I worked in a primary school for my work experience

Wow, I worked in a primary school for my work experience, however I think I have ran out of space on my PS to mention something like that.
All the best,

Thank you.
Reply 8
I have to say, I wouldn't make 90% of your statement about maths :smile: As a chemistry applications tutor for York said to me (about chem obviously) "I don't need people telling me how wonderful chemistry is, I do it as a job!" :biggrin:
Reply 9
Simplicity
I really don't understand people who don't get calculus. Saying that I have problems getting stats.

I disagree, however I would like to add making a book have meaning is not a bad thing.

Abstraction is not mean't to be absurd, abstraction has meaning.

I will post my PS later, however I'm scare someone would take parts of it or something. Anyway, 90% of ps is about mathematics.

Thanks for that advice, I have just written a section about it. I have noticed that FM is less tedious then core maths.

I have just expanded on the book Meta-Mathematics, saying that I took from it that the foundation of mathematics is based on randomness not reason.

Wow, this has really helped me finishing the introduction of my PS, thank you.

Wow, I worked in a primary school for my work experience, however I think I have ran out of space on my PS to mention something like that.

Thank you.

Stats isn't hard, it's the A Level syllabus. Find some proper definitions, and some decent questions, and it's actually quite fun. (NB: With S2 in January I stopped being taught stats, so I've had long enough 'recovery time' to be able to look at it again with a reasonably open mind).

Yeah 90% is too much, 60/70 maybe better. Obviously to an extent you have to make sure it focuses on why _you_ want to do maths, not why somebody else might want to.

There are sites that allow you to submit a piece of work and basically timestamp it, I personally wouldn't post anything here though, PS Helper's section. You'd lose the views of this years applicants though, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Abstraction is a tool to achive generality, nothing more.
Reply 10
I reread my PS today, and it's SO cringeworthy, I think it's convinced me that it really doesn't matter (for Maths!).
Reply 11
I've skimmed the previous responses, so this may have been mentioned, but if not:

You say you run for an hour and a half a day. That means you care about it, show dedication to it and can manage your time effectively enough to fit in eleven hours of running a week. Talk about what that says about you (and it says a lot), because those qualities are profoundly important.
My PS was rubbish, I talked crap about how great maths was, mentioned the generic easy books that everyone reads and said a bit about hobbies, future career plans etc. Which makes me think Warwick (where I am now) and the other places that gave me offers look at grades and the school reference mainly. I picture them skimming through the PS to see if you are a complete wierdo, but then if you're applying to maths they won't be the least bit suprised to see you are.
Reply 13
Simplicity
I didn't make a choice, and blam I'm doing mathematics. I don't even like it that much, it too tedious and boring

This sentence alone really should cause alarm bells to ring. You find maths tedious and boring yet you claim to want to teach yourself analysis in year 13, despite not being able to do some C4 integration...?

Reality check. You really need to think long and hard about what you are doing. A gap year even might be advised if you are so unsure about maths.

Latest