The Student Room Group

Law Universities

I want to study Law (and Politics mebbe) at university but all I hear when I say I want to is "oh, that's gonna be hard to get into."

I didn't do great in my GCSES, got two As, two Bs, 5 Cs, 2 Ds and an E. Purely because I didn't care and thought GCSE's acounted for nothing. I'm now just finishing year 12, in which I do three A levels of Law, English Lit and Psychology. I got ABB in my first modules in January and am hoping to get overall AAB in my A levels. I also take general studies. I'm gonna basically work my *** off in the next year.

I'm planning on reading a few law books to put into my personal statement and joining the yearbook and cabaret at school, as these will show more personal achivements like working in a team and organisation skills. However, I'm not sure this is going to be enough and I'm terrified I'm going to get rejected from all uni's I apply to (entry 2009) because of my rubbish GCSES and zero EC activities. I've never had a job because I live in the middle of no-where and I just chill with friends in my spare time. I go the gym and keep myself fit but that doesn't show much.

I do take a great interest in law though, anything I can do make my personal statement better and get accepted in unis?
Reply 1
Hello :smile:

In my opinion...

You need to address everything in order of importance.

i) What is your A level prediction going on your UCAS form?
ii) Is this prediciton supported, considering...
iii) What are your AS results?
iv) What are your GCSE results?
v) Where can you realistically apply considering i-v) ?
vi) What else do you have/can accumulate to boost your application?

In terms of importance... Securing yourself AAB is going to help you a hell of a lot more than joining the Cabaret.

What I did before applying was to look at a UCAS form. (You laugh, I'd never even thought about it.) Look at each box, and think about whether you have anything positive to write. If you don't, then start finding things!

Have you visited a Magistrate's Court? Crown Court? Just for the afternoon? Join the Yearbook, join the Cabaret, etc etc.

Your main fear is being rejected from all of your Uni's for 2009 entry. This fear can be relieved somewhat by being sensible in your applications. My rule of thumb has always been to apply to some "near-guaranteed" Uni's, some mid-range Uni's, and perhaps one "Dream" Uni.

Universities publish Entrance Requirements for a reason. If it says that most applicants will have AAB and "exceptional" GCSE results, then you need to sit up and take note of this.

Being realistic is the key... :smile:

Good luck.

ps-
If it was me, (and bear in mind, you are not me...) I would explain my GCSE results the way you have here. I'd say that due to immaturity, lack of realisation of importance, and new-found motivation and maturity - that my GCSE reuslts did not reflect my intellect, commitment, and ambition toward a Law degree. Honesty is indeed, the best policy.
I'm visting a court with my class at the start of september so I'll be sure to put that in aswell.

Thanks, that's extremely helpful!
Reply 3
i didnt get amazing for GCSE ... 1 A* .. 2 As...5 Bs. 1 C and 1 E

AS i got .. AABC in politics, law, sociology and econ

predicted grades AAA

offers : SOAS (AAA) CITY (AAB) QMUL (AAB)
rejection: WARWICK . MANCHESTER..

didnt really have any extra cirricular activities... didnt read many books... but a good personal statement does help
Wen_j_Wu
i didnt get amazing for GCSE ... 1 A* .. 2 As...5 Bs. 1 C and 1 E

AS i got .. AABC in politics, law, sociology and econ

predicted grades AAA

offers : SOAS (AAA) CITY (AAB) QMUL (AAB)
rejection: WARWICK . MANCHESTER..

didnt really have any extra cirricular activities... didnt read many books... but a good personal statement does help

Do you think you could send me your PS to have a read through?
Before I changed to Classics, I applied for Law. I did an internship with a solicitors company in Manchester -- just by writing begging letters to lots of companies. I also managed to spend a week with a Circuit Judge, which I am aware is not an option open to everyone -- I just wrote to my local County Count and the manager of it said that she would arrange for me to spend time shadowing a judge. I got to sit up at the front of the court with the judge, it was quite the ego boost! :biggrin:

So, in short, just write lots of letters to anyone slightly legally-related; if you don't ask, you most certainly don't receive. Wherever you are in the country there must be solicitors firms and courts nearby.

Latest

Trending

Trending