The Student Room Group
Reply 1
asdfghjkl123456789
who's doing higher history next year, or has done it?
just looking to see if there's anyone there to help me when i need it.
maybe i could help them too...unlikely:smile:

Hey.
Yes i am doing Higher History this year, as a crash course xD.
:L Oh the pain we will go through :L See you about sometime when we need a shoulder to cry on!! :L
Reply 2
xandertho
Hey.
Yes i am doing Higher History this year, as a crash course xD.
:L Oh the pain we will go through :L See you about sometime when we need a shoulder to cry on!! :L

Me too! - I wasted last year doing an int2 that I'm never gonna use, but this year, i can't wait for Higher History! I love it all sooo much already!

Any of you had any thought about your extended essay yet?
Reply 3
Lulubelle*
Me too! - I wasted last year doing an int2 that I'm never gonna use, but this year, i can't wait for Higher History! I love it all sooo much already!

Oh int2 :s-smilie: Grr dont speak to me about them :L I opted to do one last year too. Waste of time as Im not even doing the higher to follow it up :L And got a 2 for it at SG. :frown: Ahh!

Oh no idea about the extended essay yet :L Not talked about it in detail yet.
You!?
Reply 4

I wouldn't worry about that right now - after all, you'll have to learn a fair bit of the content first. We did ours in about February/March and spent two weeks on it. Don't worry about it at all :smile:
Reply 5
Bobby92
I wouldn't worry about that right now - after all, you'll have to learn a fair bit of the content first. We did ours in about February/March and spent two weeks on it. Don't worry about it at all :smile:

We were told to have a basic plan made out for going back after summer :confused:

I've picked to do something about Facism.... just dunno the type of question that i'm gonna go for :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Bobby92

We were told to have a basic plan made out for going back after summer :confused:

I've picked to do something about Facism.... just dunno the type of question that i'm gonna go for :s-smilie:
we write them in february/march under exam conditions usually, no?
seems a bit extreme to start now...
unless you want to.
that's the thing i find with these courses at school though. when you start you think it's going to be really exciting and interesting. you then find yourself hating the subject, as you sit and cram useless facts for various tests you can't be bothered with,after losing interest in the subject after a few weeks of starting it. just my experience of course. i suppose because you get to a new level each school year, and teachers talk it up, you assume it's going to be some super extreme intelligence test which is really advanced. i always really looked up to the people who got high marks in exams which were at a slightly higher level than i was at, but now i realise they were nothing too special. the way their classmates (and mine) talked about people being "genius" pretty seriously, for getting high As in standard grades.you then get there, and realise it's pretty boring, and that getting good marks just proves you've been bothered to sit for a few days reading a rather dull textbook.
psychology looks decent though, anyone recommend it?
Reply 8
asdfghjkl123456789
we write them in february/march under exam conditions usually, no?
seems a bit extreme to start now...
unless you want to.
that's the thing i find with these courses at school though. when you start you think it's going to be really exciting and interesting. you then find yourself hating the subject, as you sit and cram useless facts for various tests you can't be bothered with,after losing interest in the subject after a few weeks of starting it. just my experience of course. i suppose because you get to a new level each school year, and teachers talk it up, you assume it's going to be some super extreme intelligence test which is really advanced. i always really looked up to the people who got high marks in exams which were at a slightly higher level than i was at, but now i realise they were nothing too special. the way their classmates (and mine) talked about people being "genius" pretty seriously, for getting high As in standard grades.you then get there, and realise it's pretty boring, and that getting good marks just proves you've been bothered to sit for a few days reading a rather dull textbook.
psychology looks decent though, anyone recommend it?

I'm doing that this year too... so far, its been pretty okay but not overly interesting... our teacher warned us though that the subject will get boring in parts. We've done a couple of the memory tests and stuff, they were pretty fun. We were told to watch Girl, Interrupted and stuff like that.. kinda to understand what its all about or something. The textbooks are pretty :eek: - kinda scared me at first... but now its all good... it's a good subject :yep:
Reply 9
I have always wanted to do history..any level 2bh. I donno what i wud need to ask if i cud do it this year or evn next?
I think it goes by what grade u get in english 2:frown:
History looks so good :frown:
..x
xDeribbzx
I have always wanted to do history..any level 2bh. I donno what i wud need to ask if i cud do it this year or evn next?
I think it goes by what grade u get in english 2:frown:
History looks so good :frown:
..x

if you're just going into 5th year, you could do it at Int2 if you haven't done it at SG... orrr, if you're just going into 6th year, you should be able to crash it, like me :biggrin: ... or there may be an exceptional circumstance to allow you to crash it in 5th year as long as you have a really good Credit grade for English.

btw, so far, history for me has been AMAZING! :cool:
As far as i'm aware if you get a credit crade in modern studies, geography, history or english then you could take higher modern studies, geography or history.
I'm doing higher history! Awesome fun.
Got a B in an essay before the hols though. Need to sharpen my skills!
Reply 13
Here, do yas think if i go back and say to the senior headteacher guy, and say i've looked at my results and changed mi mind? obviously depends what i got in english and geog, but do ya think they could still try to get a space for me in history?
Yes, if you get a credit in English or Geography you'd be fine to do history and they should let you switch, a lot of people do after they get their results
Higher history was awesome, it was my favourite subject last year. I did my extended essay on the "road to war" stuff, can't remember the exact question though.

We did Medieval in higher aswell, that was different. In a good way, the Wars of Independence bit was really interesting.

I did Adv higher this year, it's so much more intense, the amount of reading you have to do is a big change. I really enjoyed it though. The dissertation was a pain in the back side at times (especially as I had one to do for English as well) but it got done eventually.

Just awaiting the dreaded results now. Eeek.

Latest

Trending

Trending