The Student Room Group

I'm interested in learning Welsh...

Hey people,
since I'm going to be learning two languages in September, now might not be such a great time to take up another but maybe in the future, I would like to learn Welsh. I live in the North near to Wales so I would have to somewhere to go and practice and it just seems like a very unique, interesting language. I think it would be nice to speak a native language and I also have a bit of Welsh in me apparently so I might end up carrying it through to fluency.
The only problem is, I have never learnt a language outside of school/college. Where would you go in Manchester to learn Welsh? Is it a nice/useful language to learn? Would you recommend it? Language lessons outside of full time education seem very expensive but I've been wanting to learn it for about a year now. I would be very grateful if anyone had any tips or advice. Thank you! :smile: x x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
xJessx
Hey people,
since I'm going to be learning two languages in September, now might not be such a great time to take up another but maybe in the future, I would like to learn Welsh. I live in the North near to Wales so I would have to somewhere to go and practice and it just seems like a very unique, interesting language. I think it would be nice to speak a native language and I also have a bit of Welsh in me apparently so I might end up carrying it through to fluency.
The only problem is, I have never learnt a language outside of school/college. Where would you go in Manchester to learn Welsh? Is it a nice/useful language to learn? Would you recommend it? Language lessons outside of full time education seem very expensive but I've been wanting to learn it for about a year now. I would be very grateful if anyone had any tips or advice. Thank you! :smile: x x

..nowhere, to be quite honest.
xJessx
Hey people,

Shw'mae!

The BBC does a lot of work promoting Welsh. Their website is fantastic as a resource for self-teaching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/

As you live in the North, I'm afraid I'm legally obliged to diss you! (It's a Welsh thing) but hopefully that website will help you.

Phob lwc i ti!

Also, see if Manchester has a language unit or something at the Uni that should be a great resource too. Have a look online at S4C programmes too. As you live across the border it's hard to suggest anything other than these sorts of resources really as you'll not have access to anything that I could suggest for someone living in Wales. Sorry.
Hmmmmm

see im learning welsh in september too, BUT im doing it at the university...

ive done a google search and nothing came up..

plus i checked out manchester met and the uni (because bristol uni does a community course in welsh) and found zilch...

sorry

i do know the bbc have a welsh thing tho:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/

Ive found it rather useful, learnt some phrases etc, im learning it really too increase communication with patients in wales, plus its an extra language, a useful skill etc. PLUS my tv in my bedroom has S4C..legendary channel lol
Reply 4
anna_spanner89 - I've gone on the website for that channel, S4C but I can't understand it so I can't watch it! Is there a live TV stream available online? If so, what do I click on?
xJessx
anna_spanner89 - I've gone on the website for that channel, S4C but I can't understand it so I can't watch it! Is there a live TV stream available online? If so, what do I click on?

The option to turn it into English: saesneg! Or, Gwylio Yma in Cymraeg. Good programmes include: Wedi 7, Pobol Y Cwm. The Gwylio yn Fyw (Watch Live) option is what you're after.
Reply 6
oriel historian
The option to turn it into English: saesneg! Or, Gwylio Yma in Cymraeg. Good programmes include: Wedi 7, Pobol Y Cwm. The Gwylio yn Fyw (Watch Live) option is what you're after.

Thank you!
xJessx

not a clue..i put it on too help me sleep, there is this soap, which is all in welsh and i try too follow it, and understand whats going on..

alternatively
http://www.learnons4c.co.uk/

theres some shows in the morning which are like kids shows, but..in welsh, they're..you know, help kids learn welsh
Aye Pobol Y Cwm is the soap. It's pretty uncomplicated Welsh really and gives a good range of accents, both north and south, so that should help you.
Welsh is on my "languages to learn before I die" list.
Welsh always looks like someone's been drunkenly tapping away at a keyboard to me :p:
Reply 11
After having been forced to learn welsh since primary school it absolutely baffles me why anyone would want to learn it. Why not learn something foreign and exotic like Japanese or Spanish or something? You can use them more frequently too!
Reply 12
jonnythemoose
Welsh always looks like someone's been drunkenly tapping away at a keyboard to me :p:

Lol, yeah but that attracts me for some reason. It looks like a crazy language :smile:
RJ555
After having been forced to learn welsh since primary school it absolutely baffles me why anyone would want to learn it. Why not learn something foreign and exotic like Japanese or Spanish or something? You can use them more frequently too!

Welsh is close to home - there's a lot of history and culture in it, and for someone like me who lives close to the border, it's pretty much on your doorstep waiting to be discovered.
It's also fantastically easy to learn. But then, having been taught it side by side since primary school I guess I can say that.
Reply 15
generalebriety
Welsh is close to home - there's a lot of history and culture in it, and for someone like me who lives close to the border, it's pretty much on your doorstep waiting to be discovered.

Fair enough, but you have to go miles beyond the border to use it, no-one uses it round here, even welsh accents are rare:p:
generalebriety

i totally agree, i can't wait too start my classes in september :biggrin:

and start chatting up some fit welsh rugby players

in dont care if i dont get a degree at swansea, if i come away with a welsh accent it'd be 4 years well spent
Reply 17
I'm watching the channel you gave me the link for anna_spanner89. I've never heard it spoken fluently before so it's a bit strange. Is it me or does it sound a bit like Japanese? Lol, mad.
xJessx
I'm watching the channel you gave me the link for anna_spanner89. I've never heard it spoken fluently before so it's a bit strange. Is it me or does it sound a bit like Japanese? Lol, mad.

lol i reckon it sounds like baby talk

or gobbledegook

it makes me laugh when they say english words such as names etc in an english accent lol

btw if you want too reply too me, quote me
Reply 19
If you want to work in wales, in most of the jobs especially government/public sector jobs all prefer to employ fluent welsh speakers, or at least those who have some experience.

Be careful though, northern welsh is quite a different dialect to southern welsh...its the same language but a lot of variation between the two. Welsh is similar to other older languages in the formation of paragraphs...i.e. seemingly backward to english. You will find that most people who speak welsh speak very butchered welsh on a day to day basis so practice in wales may be a little bad for you if you're beginning to use the language.

I find it easy...but then I'm welsh. I get it confused with german sometimes...which may just be my head.

They also speak welsh in patagonia in south America, Breton in France is incredibly similar to welsh and you'll find a lot of welsh speakers in certain parts of canada.

Latest

Trending

Trending