The Student Room Group

What do I need to do to keep up?

I'm just about to start my A2 course, but I need a heads up for uni maths.

What do I need to do to keep up with the pace? I mean, if I've done and understood C3, C4, FP1, FP2 completely, then would I be at a good starting ground for maths at university?

How much wider reading will I have to do? The amount of reading is probably subjective... but I'm mainly just worried about the transition from A-Levels to University, and wondering if I'll have to work my butt off to get a 2:1. I'm doing Pure maths btw, if that helps. :smile:
Reply 1
therea re unis that let you in with single maths only and start from that level and unis that start from further maths level.

why aren't you taking s1/d1/m1 etc?
Noémie
therea re unis that let you in with single maths only and start from that level and unis that start from further maths level.

why aren't you taking s1/d1/m1 etc?

I am. Just mentioned the core/pure ones because they're the most relevant I think.

Errm, I'm applying at UCL, Nottingham, Warwick, UEA and possibly KCL, if that helps. :biggrin:
does anyone know any A2 level chemistry CD rom online to buy?

i will appreciate if anyone replies

thx...
Reply 4
well ucl for starters requires further maths.
you do further maths, yes?
warwick wants further maths...
and warwick makes aea papers as part of their offer so i'd say if you can do the aea papers you'll be okay for uni maths.
ask your teachers?
From what I've seen so far uni maths is very different to A-level maths. If you can do well in FP1 and FP2 thats a good start, but you might want to look over some of FP3 just as an extra thing. I'm not sure if the spec is changing but FP3 had a good range of different things. Complex numbers, vectors, matrices, and proof by induction which is the 4 biggest chapters would probably all be worth a look.
I woudln't suggest doing anything until much closer the time. I didn't do anything extra until this week when I got a book to keep me occuppied over summer, and I there are people who do nothing extra and do fine. If you're looking to do STEP or AEA I'd start revision as early as possible. Nothing major, maybe looking through a few questions per week, but I didn't do any revision for them until like the weekend before and those 6 hours doing STEP were horrible!
Hmm...

Aiming for 80-90% in all of the cores, about 60-70% in Statistics and 80-90% in M1, M2, D1, D2 and about 80% in FP1 and 2... do you think I'd be able to cope with university maths? :s-smilie:

Sort of paranoid about matrices and whatnot, worried that if I don't grasp the subject then I might fail the course. Heh...

Thanks for all the advice though - I'll just do my further maths modules and go over FP3 during the summer. :smile:
If you're good enough to make the offer, then you're good enough for the course! Just keep bearing that in mind.

Latest