The Student Room Group

Have you rparents every doubted your ability to get into Oxbridge?

To make it short, my parents just don't believe I have the caliber to apply to the majority of the unis that I am considering and I understand competition is fierce. I was pretty sure about applying to Cambridge (for the usual reasons: grades, interest in subject etc) but now I'm having doubts after discussing with my parents :s-smilie:

How many of you have been told you wouldn't/won't make it, even if you met the entry requirements?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe they are saying it as more of a hint. That is, you application wouldn't stand a chance as it stands but you've still got time to improve it.

But anyway, why do yo care about Oxbridge so much? Why do you even care what your parents think?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my parents don't think I'll get in, or that I only have a very slim chance (which is probably true anyway). I'll give it a go, but I won't get my- or their- hopes up.
Cowz

But anyway, why do yo care about Oxbridge so much? Why do you even care what your parents think?

cause i went to the open days and i loved it alot.
Reply 4
supernovastarfish
cause i went to the open days and i loved it alot.

Loved what exactly, the look of the buildings?

That is about all an open day will show you.
If you want to apply, GO FOR IT. If you're doubting your ability, then apply to other unis you like as a sort of fall-back in case you don't get into Oxbridge.
supernovastarfish
To make it short, my parents just don't believe I have the caliber to apply to the majority of the unis that I am considering and I understand competition is fierce. I was pretty sure about applying to Cambridge (for the usual reasons: grades, interest in subject etc) but now I'm having doubts after discussing with my parents :s-smilie:

How many of you have been told you wouldn't/won't make it, even if you met the entry requirements?

I have the opposite problem, in that my parents were convinced that I'd get in, do really well and come out with a First. I'm sure what your parents said was quite hurtful, but at least you can surprise them/prove them wrong, rather than prove them right/disappoint them :s-smilie:

In any case, don't listen to your parents. You loved the open day, so if you stand a chance, just go for it! If I'd listened to everyone who told me I'd never get in, I wouldn't have just finished my first year at Oxford! :smile:
maybe they're only saying it to make sure that you don't pin all your hopes onto cambridge. i'm going to apply to oxford, and my parents do that with me. the calibre of people applying is obviously going to be very high, and they don't want to see me really down and upset if (more likely to be when) i get rejected.

at the end of the day, it's your decision, so just go for it :smile: you don't have anything to lose.
Cowz

No, you find out about the course, the admissions procedure and you get to meet the tutors. I'd have never seriously considered Oxford if I hadn't met my tutor on the open day :smile:
Cowz

well, it was more than it. i attended their talk on my subject etc. there's alot of other reasons too such as their supervision system as opposed to sitting in lecture halls.
My mum told me not to apply, that I wasn't good enough to get in, and that I should stop thinking I was 'one of the smartest people in the country'.

I just ignored her and applied anyway, and it worked. Don't let your parents warn you off. They might be jealous, trying to stop you achieving, or (and this is more likely) they're just looking out for you and don't want to see you get hurt, if you're potentially rejected.
At one point my dad was saying I'm not likely to get in 'cos we're not in the freemasons. :rolleyes:
my parents are STILL convinced that people get in 'through the back door', as it were, and gain a place due to their wealth/family connections.

it drives me mad! :redface:
Reply 13
Greatleysteg
My mum told me not to apply, that I wasn't good enough to get in, and that I should stop thinking I was 'one of the smartest people in the country'.

I just ignored her and applied anyway, and it worked. Don't let your parents warn you off. They might be jealous, trying to stop you achieving, or (and this is more likely) they're just looking out for you and don't want to see you get hurt, if you're potentially rejected.

Don't wanna wee all over your bonfire, but you've still gotta get your A-level results yet havent you?
Reply 14
The_Lonely_Goatherd
No, you find out about the course, the admissions procedure and you get to meet the tutors. I'd have never seriously considered Oxford if I hadn't met my tutor on the open day :smile:

Is your course unique to Oxbridge then? There are welcoming and friendly tutors at every university. The admissions procedure is irrelevant.
Cowz
Is your course unique to Oxbridge then? There are welcoming and friendly tutors at every university. The admissions procedure is irrelevant.

It's not unique to Oxbridge, but I found some of the tutors at other open days hugely unfriendly, which really put me off :s-smilie:
Reply 16
rainbow drops
my parents are STILL convinced that people get in 'through the back door', as it were, and gain a place due to their wealth/family connections.

it drives me mad! :redface:

But it's true! My girlfriend's former lecturer applied to the same college his dad went to and was interviewed by his former headmaster ffs!

THe true nature of the admissions procedure is reflected in the percentage of public school kids who go there at one end, and the wide variety of degree marks obtained at the other.

[ok 3rd post in as many minutes on this thread...should really get back to work]
Reply 17
The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's not unique to Oxbridge, but I found some of the tutors at other open days hugely unfriendly, which really put me off :s-smilie:

Then you have a dim view of university life.
rainbow drops
maybe they're only saying it to make sure that you don't pin all your hopes onto cambridge. i'm going to apply to oxford, and my parents do that with me. the calibre of people applying is obviously going to be very high, and they don't want to see me really down and upset if (more likely to be when) i get rejected.

obviously i wouldn't say i had pinned my hopes on Cambridge but it's my first choice, as it would be for many others.
Reply 19
Yeah they used to put up 'YOU WONT GET IN' banners all over the house to keep reminding me :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending