The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
are you worried about enjoying your job or just earning loads of money?
Reply 2
CarlitoBrigante
ok. i am doing politics sociology and religious studies at a level. i am predicted AAA.

What would be the best course to apply for that would ensure i earn loads of money!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A degree only opens doors, lots of people have degrees and earn next to no money, its the person that counts.
Reply 3
CarlitoBrigante
ok. i am doing politics sociology and religious studies at a level. i am predicted AAA.

What would be the best course to apply for that would ensure i earn loads of money!?

There is no point in applying to do a degree purely because it will earn you lots of money. I did a similar thing, dropped out of uni and wasted loads of money in the process. Don't do it unless you enjoy it.
Reply 4
If you get a 1st/2i from any good uni then a whole load of job prospects will open up regardless of degree subject, after that I believe you can get rich by excelling in whatever career you commit yourself to.
Reply 5
CarlitoBrigante

well, your field is pretty limited with those vocational A-levels - it'd have been better having at least one maths/science/languages subject if you wanted to give yourself the best chance of earning lots of money

your best bet is to get into a presitigious institution, it probably won't matter what course you do then
Reply 6
marabara
well, your field is pretty limited with those vocational A-levels - it'd have been better having at least one maths/science/languages subject if you wanted to give yourself the best chance of earning lots of money

your best bet is to get into a presitigious institution, it probably won't matter what course you do then

They're not vocational A-levels.
Reply 7
Lord Huntroyde
They're not vocational A-levels.

Yeah aren't vocational subjects things like plumbing and woodwork?
Reply 8
Vladek
Yeah aren't vocational subjects things like plumbing and woodwork?

You really have no idea at all do you? Medicine is in fact a vocational subject.
Reply 9
marabara

Do you know what vocational A levels are?
Reply 10
amazingtrade
You really have no idea at all do you? Medicine is in fact a vocational subject.

But so are plumbing and woodwork.
Reply 11
jumpunderaboat
But so are plumbing and woodwork.

I don't know what I said to warrent that reply??

yeah jumpunder, i think they are aren't they, i mean so is metalwork, i didn't mention that?

and AT, when you go out into the real world, and get a job then you can tell me I have no clue.
Reply 12
Sarky
Do you know what vocational A levels are?

Someone else asked that question on another thread. Hope this helps.

Vocational A levels or Vocational Certificates of Education (VCEs)
Vocational A levels have replaced Advanced GNVQ courses. They allow students to develop skills, up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the underpinning principles and processes in the vocational area they are studying and prepare them for both the world of work and progression to Higher Education. Learning should be active and student-led, although directed by teachers and supported by professional and employer input. Assessment is done both internally and externally. Vocational A-levels can be taken by themselves or in combination with traditional A levels. Students choose between:

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Advanced Subsidiary (3 units) - equivalent to an AS level

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Advanced Level (6 units) - equivalent to an A level

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Double Award (12 units) - equivalent to 2 A levels

:smile:
Reply 13
not sure whether I used the right word, I see vocational A-levels as those that lead straight into work as opposed to further education

subjects like politics, sociology and RS are going to be taught right from the beginning at university, as opposed to things like English, Maths and Sciences where you start off from a higher level

maybe, I should have called them crap A-levels for uni then
Reply 14
marabara
not sure whether I used the right word, I see vocational A-levels as those that lead straight into work as opposed to further education

subjects like politics, sociology and RS are going to be taught right from the beginning at university, as opposed to things like English, Maths and Sciences where you start off from a higher level

maybe, I should have called them crap A-levels for uni then

They're not crap.
Reply 15
Lets not get into the debate about vocational A levels on this thread, all I know is that universities like Manchester appcept them and the pass rates are much lower than tradionational A levels.

ps Vladek I do have a job actually. Vocational subjects are anything that can be directly applied to a job, so medicine, engineering are all examples of vocational subjects.

Woodwork is just an example of a vocational subject.

God knows how Marabarah thinks they are vocational subjects.
Reply 16
amazingtrade
Lets not get into the debate about vocational A levels on this thread, all I know is that universities like Manchester appcept them and the pass rates are much lower than tradionational A levels.

ps Vladek I do have a job actually. Vocational subjects are anything that can be directly applied to a job, so medicine, engineering are all examples of vocational subjects.

Woodwork is just an example of a vocational subject.

God knows how Marabarah thinks they are vocational subjects.

So why did you have a go at me then????

And i mean a proper job
Reply 17
Vladek
So why did you have a go at me then????

And i mean a proper job

Because I thought you were saying only stuff like word working is vocational. I also do have a proper job its just part time.
Reply 18
The thread has deveiated somewhat from the original subject.

The point that was made was that with A-levels in subjects such as R.E, socialology and politics, the thread starter would have limited choices when it came to deciding what university course to study. For example, they would not be accepted onto any 'respectable' BSc courses without first completing a foundation year.
Reply 19
amazingtrade

:eek: