The Student Room Group

French work experience placement

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to Cambridge for MML this year. I'm currently doing AS and I'd like a work placement dealing with French or modern language work. I have some good work experience but not in this field. I've searched online and I can find endless long term placements for those over eighteen, which I'm not. I'd like to find something short term (over the Summer) and either cheap or in the UK... Has anybody got any ideas?

I live in Newcastle if that's of any help. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Do what alot of polyglots do when learning a language and find native French speakers locally. Be a kitchen porter in a local French restaurant for the summer?
Reply 2
Why not ask your langauge teachers at college if they have any contacts?
Maybe you have some native speakers, and maybe they have a friend back home with a hotel or somthing where you could go and help out.
Because actually getting to the country is really the best thing you could do.

Failing that, look up "Le Petit Club Francais".
I know there is a club at my local village hall where basically they teach 5 year olds how to say dog in french - very basic.
See if there is one in the area where you live.
It's not going to advance your langauge skills, but it will show the admissions people that you have actually made the effort to use your skills.
Reply 3
Thanks to you both; Megan, I think I've found a similar scheme up here so I'll get onto that.
Any more? :smile:
jaimebien
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to Cambridge for MML this year. I'm currently doing AS and I'd like a work placement dealing with French or modern language work. I have some good work experience but not in this field. I've searched online and I can find endless long term placements for those over eighteen, which I'm not. I'd like to find something short term (over the Summer) and either cheap or in the UK... Has anybody got any ideas?

I live in Newcastle if that's of any help. Thanks :smile:

Hi :smile: I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm 18 (starting MFL at Oxford this year) and looking for the same thing - is there any chance you can direct me to some stuff you've found?

Have you tried thevoyage.com (think it's .com)? That's where I applied in year 12 and was awarded a scholarship from the British Council to spend a fortnight in Germany and then again in France. You can also apply for work experience stuff, I think, as well as staying with families and going to school for a while. It was a great experience.

:biggrin:
Reply 5
thevoyage.com doesn't exist and when you google it, it's a rollercoaster! Heellp. :smile:
Reply 6
Greatleysteg
Hi :smile: I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm 18 (starting MFL at Oxford this year) and looking for the same thing - is there any chance you can direct me to some stuff you've found?

Have you tried thevoyage.com (think it's .com)? That's where I applied in year 12 and was awarded a scholarship from the British Council to spend a fortnight in Germany and then again in France. You can also apply for work experience stuff, I think, as well as staying with families and going to school for a while. It was a great experience.

:biggrin:

so you can reply! sorry i'm new.
jaimebien
thevoyage.com doesn't exist and when you google it, it's a rollercoaster! Heellp. :smile:

Sorry, it's www.the-voyage.com

For some reason, it keeps forwarding me to the UK-german connection though. (which is a related site, and has opportunties on).. *confuzzled*, if you look on it, it should have links to the French one somewhere :smile:
jaimebien
so you can reply! sorry i'm new.

ha ha! Bless, welcome to TSR :smile:

Yeah, you just click quote, as you seem to have found out. Feel free to pm me with an questions you might have.

(ps, you can pm me my clicking on my name, going onto my profile and clicking on "send Greatleysteg a personal message".)
Reply 9
cant u get a work experience placement at eurostar?
Reply 10
Greatleysteg
Sorry, it's www.the-voyage.com

For some reason, it keeps forwarding me to the UK-german connection though. (which is a related site, and has opportunties on).. *confuzzled*, if you look on it, it should have links to the French one somewhere :smile:

Have you been able to find anything for the French (Or maybe even Spanish) equivilent?
It's taking me to the German site too, and I've searched high and low and can't find anything!
Thanks a million if you can, because the german oppertunities there look great.
Reply 11
Yes - please, if anyone has founf French or Spanish areas let me know how!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending