The Student Room Group

UKCAT - Practice Questions and Useful Resources

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
musama91
How many questions do you there are in total? I am thinking of buying a practice questions package online (maybe onexamination) but came across this.

I want to do about 100 questions (minimum) before the actual UKCAT exam

why do you want to wate so much money, on buying practice papers? trust me the practice papers, on the official ukcat website are more than enough:smile:
musama91
How many questions do you there are in total? I am thinking of buying a practice questions package online (maybe onexamination) but came across this.

onexamination is not worth it (school bought us all a subscription)
Question bank is not huge on it and the hardest to fine similar ones of (abstract reasoning) it has the least of
musama91

You need some questions to allow you to acquaint yourself with the format, but as the UKCAT is a test of skills, rather than knowledge, there's not much to be gained from excessive practice.

I would say that the practice tests in the official book, along with the ones on the website are more than enough without shelling out a lot more money.
Reply 103
OK thank you all!
I hope this is the right forum. How many questions will be on the ukcat test? how many min do we get per que?
I would personally have put it in the medical forum.

I don't know how many you will get (its changed since I did it) but I know nobody who could answer all questions in all sections in anything like the alloted time. Its very tight.
Reply 106
the UKCAT website is the best place to look. Just google UKCAT (probably be the top result). The website will also tell you much more about the test as well as the time alotments and numbers of questions. There is also a practice paper so you can see for yourself.
It is really time pressured- only just finished each section and that was wiht lots of guessing
crazylemon
Oxford dont use the UKCAT so for oxford the UKCAT score is irrelavent, they use the BMAT.
The scores are scaled depending how well you do against other people doing the exam

Oxford uses ukcat for the graduate entry. According to this link http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=ukCatUniversities
Reply 109
Why are people worrying about the UKCAT now? I only began practice a couple of days before the exam... :confused:
Rainbow_1985
Oxford uses ukcat for the graduate entry. According to this link http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=ukCatUniversities

Meant for non GEM
crazylemon
Meant for non GEM

I know, just felt like informing people who read this thread. :redface:
malaz_197
i think this should be stickie-ed. would save a lot of extra threads.

great effort, Lu-x

are you at st georges?! did u do the ukcat? :smile:
when should i start properly practising for the UKCAT?
xxx
It depends when you want to sit it, I suppose.
Reply 115
indie_couture
xxx

you cant really practice but, it would be worthwhile to make yourself familliar with the structure of the exam, do the practice questions on the ukcat website atleast three times(it says that in the 2008 glasgow prospectus).I would say it depends on you when you want to start practicing, i started a week ago, if that's of any use.:smile: :yep:
indie_couture
xxx

don't waste your time, you should practice getting lucky instead :rolleyes:

do the online practice test to get a general idea of what to expect. i did loads of preparation for it but ended up with a very mediocre score, whereas others managed to gain high scores with very little preparation.

myoclonic jerk has a ukcat guide on his profile, so search him up for advice.
indie_couture
xxx

There's no real need to start practicing very far in advance, as the UKCAT tests skills and not knowledge, so there's not much to benefit.

You can however, benefit from knowing the layout of the questions and what kind of thing they are likely to be. I would recommend doing the practice tests online and buying the purpley book to acquaint yourself further 2-4 weeks before you want to sit it. Worked for me. :yy:
Reply 118
littlemisssunshine123
are you at st georges?! did u do the ukcat? :smile:

yes i am,halfway through my first year

and yes i did do the UKCAT
Reply 119
i was checking out the practise paper online and something struck me. Is it it me or is there an insane amount of reading for the first part which must be completed in 21 mins!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending