The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
library maybe? :s-smilie:

if you ask in the french society im sure they will tell you.
Reply 2
ooo good idea, didn't think of that one! I'll give it a go....thanks :smile:
Reply 3
which one? the library or french society?
Reply 4
i only read the library one, haha! Don't know how i missed the whole society one lol.
But i'll give that a go now too, thanksss :smile:
Reply 5
amazon.fr ? (Only if you have the money to buy books, obviously.)

I recommend "Stupeur et tremblements" by Amelie Nothomb - she's Belgian though - but it's a really good book - very very funny and therefore quite easy to read.
Reply 6
I've just bought a couple of books in german off amazon, harry potter and my favourite book. Maybe you could do the same (but in french)?
Reply 7
Hollijones
I'd like to start reading some french books, magazines and newspapers but i'm not going to france this year, so does anyone know where i can get them up?
Thanks!

Well instead of buying newspapers, why not try reading the newspapers' websites? They generally have the same content give or take the odd story:smile: You can order foreign magazines through your local newsagent. Give them the name of what you're after and 99% of the time they'll be able to get you what you want, though it may be a little on the expensive side:smile: As for literature, there are endless possibilities. You could try Waterstones, Blackwells and any other good bookstore - they will hold a good selection of foreign literature, as will Amazon.fr:smile: If you need any more help then just give me a shout!:biggrin:
I wouldn't bother reading Le Monde, it's a bit heavy going for normal reading. Maybe L'humanite or Le Figaro, I find them easier. Also, if you search for French magazines, they have the equivalent of Hello! or even trash like Heat or whatever. Paris Match is a famous one, but apparently it's known for its photos and its aarticles aren't that great.

Amelie Nothomb is a great author, I second that recommendation. You can order any of her books and they're interesting, quite simple language and short. Amazon.fr is great for ordering these sorts of books. Obviously the usual standards like Candide or Huis Clos, or maybe L'Etranger (although that doesnt look impressive on a PS because everyone reads it). I quite liked "Lettres de mon moulin" as well, and Bonjour Tristesse.

So yeah. The internet and Amazon.fr are your friends. Amazon.fr actually works out a lot cheaper than standard British amazon,even when you factor in the delivery, because the British site charges you a huge sourcing fee to find the books in the first place.
I'm a big advocate for just going down to your library. I work in one, and we have a good 80-100 books in French - including many classics. That'd keep anyone going for a while - and it's free! :yep:
jonnythemoose
I'm a big advocate for just going down to your library. I work in one, and we have a good 80-100 books in French - including many classics. That'd keep anyone going for a while - and it's free! :yep:

I agree. I also watch French movies. or put french voices over.
Reply 11
thanks guys! The books recommended such as 'Stupeur et tremblements' and 'Lettres de mon moulin' are they suitable for someone that has only done french up to GCSE, i'm starting it at AS next year...?
Reply 12
Hollijones
thanks guys! The books recommended such as 'Stupeur et tremblements' and 'Lettres de mon moulin' are they suitable for someone that has only done french up to GCSE, i'm starting it at AS next year...?

Hmm...if you've only just finished GCSE then I would say those books could prove to be a little difficult. That said however I've not read them so I'm not entirely sure of their difficulty. If you really want to try some literature which is manageable, then why not try "Le Petit Prince" or the clichéd "L'Etranger"? They're much easier and something which may interest you to start off with:smile: As you progress through your AS/A-Level course you'll be able to read more complex things such as Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources by Pagnol etc.
ooh, i like reading French Elle when i go on holiday, the articles tend to be interesting but i can cope with them with GCSE french. Unlike Vogue which tends to have one long very complicated and pretentious article.
I'm not sure where you'd get them from though, some of the articles are on the webpage but a subscription in England is hideously expensive.
Reply 14
amazon.fr
Reply 15
http://www.closermag.fr/index.htm#

This could be good.
Fairly short simple articles.
And it's gossip so chanches are you might know a bit about it alraedy so might find it a bit easier than other stuff.

They are a bit obsessed with Carla Bruni-Sarkozy though.....well I don't mind.
I'm pretty sure there is French Marie-Claire too (well the name would suggest so!!)
Because I was reading the English one in France, and my correspondant was amazed that I was reading a French magazine, then I showed it to him all in English and he was very confused.

But yes, deff. head down to your local library.
Its not worth wasting £6 on a book you find to hard when you could just get it for free!
And films are always good.
What about some French music too? Though I'd try to stear clear of the rather ropey RnB.....
You'll probably stumble across something called the past historic, which is a tense primarily used in literature, kind of like a distant version of the regular past. It's not too difficult to comprehend, but I imagine if you've not been told about it, it'd confuse you :yep:
Reply 17
Yes I was just thinking what Jonny said. At least L'Etranger for sure will have past historic, that doesn't really make it more difficult but I still think you should give Amelie a try (I am biased though). However L'Etranger is a very good book too. Maybe you could also try some short stories (with vocab annotations if you want) by Guy de Maupassant. :yy:

If you're completely new to reading books in a foreign language you will struggle a bit no matter what book you start with, just because in any book there'll be a lot of words you haven't seen before. The trick is to just read over them (get the general meaning), don't start to look everything up or you'll go crazy! And don't let that discourage you! After a while your brain adjusts and you'll understand almost everything. :yy:

I don't know how high GCSE level is though, so maybe magazines will indeed be easier to start with. I just prefer books because I can't 'get into' something for five minutes, I have to read for a longer time. That's just a personal preference though!
Reply 18
thanks for all this!!
Gonna get to work on it all lol.!!
Reply 19
www.magazinecafe.co.uk is usually a good one, but I've just tried it and it won't work. :frown:
Keep your eye on it though, just in case it does work again, because they've loads of great girly magazines (and guy ones too) from loads of different countries. I usually get 'Glamour' in French and German from there, but it's stopped working. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending