The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There have been numerous discussions about this, a couple of threads quite recently actually. The general consensous is that it probably won't cause any problems. However, you need to make sure that your school or college allow you to take the subject without the GCSE.

Even history at AS is a lot more advanced that at GCSE. The skills you get in GCSE (especially source based) are quite basic, the GCSE isn't really much of a step from year nine. I don't think there should be any problems in getting to grips with it. GCSE history was a piss take, AS level was not.

You'll also be looking at different historical periods than you would at GCSE (although I'd check up on this). If so you'll be at even less of a disadvantage.
Reply 2
It won't make much difference that you didn't do History GCSE, the two are quite different. You may struggle a little at first, but you should be fine once you have a bit of essay and source practice.
Reply 3
The point I was trying to make before is that I don't think GCSE history is particularly thorough. It certainly wasn't in my day. So you're probably staring on a more or less even playing field. Providing your school allow you to take history without the GCSE I'm sure you'll be fine.
CHEESE!
Hey all
I plan to do history at A level but I HAVE NOT done GCSE. Will I really struggle?
I am also doing Eng Lit, Critical Thinking, RS and Chemistry

My school let people do this as long as they have a decent profile of grades at GCSE. Maybe not having done GCSE will be a slight disadvantage, but only slight.
Reply 5
River85
You'll also be looking at different historical periods than you would at GCSE (although I'd check up on this). If so you'll be at even less of a disadvantage.

I agree with your complete post but I must say something becuase it made me happy. I have jsu tfinished my GCSE history but am now moving schools to do my A levels and it is a different exam board but I covering exactly the same things I did at A level. Can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 6
I think if you make the effort to do some general background reading, you will be ok with history; if you ask the subject teacher/s at your school, they could probably recommend some useful titles.
You won't struggle at all. I know quite a few people who do A Level history with out the A Level. A Level is a whole new kettle of fish and i've found that history GCSE hasn't really helped me especially when my history teacher told me that how i write essays is completely wrong eek. I agree with River85 that GCSE is a piss take compared to AS Level, i didn't revise for GCSE history and got a A, where as i had to revise for AS and am now nervously awaiting the results
Reply 8
I didn't to GCSE history I've just finished AS history and I'll definitely continue next year. I was worried at the start but I didn't struggle at all, I managed it just as well as anyone else in my class :smile:
Reply 9
thanks everyone :biggrin:
Why did you not take it for GCSE?

The A Level is difficult but I reckon it's possible to do without the GCSE.
Reply 11
Demoskratos7
Why did you not take it for GCSE?

The A Level is difficult but I reckon it's possible to do without the GCSE.

didnt fit on the timetAble:no:

Latest

Trending

Trending