The Student Room Group

The Descent vs. The Others vs. The Ring

Which do you feel was the most scary and well-made film of these three choices and try to give a brief description of why you think so.

For me, it has to be The Others. The film was shot on such a small budget in just one location, and the acting is all top-notch. It scares the beejeezers out of me. :eek:

If anyone hasn't seen this 2001 low budget film starring Nicole Kidman I urge you to do so (it's not on YouTube unfortunately).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Which do you feel was the most scary and well-made film of these three choices and try to give a brief description of why you think so.

For me, it has to be The Others. The film was shot on such a small budget in just one location, and the acting is all top-notch. It scares the beejeezers out of me. :eek:

If anyone hasn't seen this 2001 low budget film starring Nicole Kidman I urge you to do so (it's not on YouTube unfortunately).

the others was alright, more of a family movie. The ring was pretty good! the second one was not so good. For me a good film is shown buy how many people A talk about it and B if its got the mick taken out of it in scary movie 1-4 or super hero movie. :biggrin:
The others is the best out of them. When i first watched it I had to have it explained to me after, now I understand the twist:p:
The Descent needed to be about another 15-20 mins longer I think. It just didn't feel complete.
Reply 4
Gaylei
the others was alright, more of a family movie. The ring was pretty good! the second one was not so good. For me a good film is shown buy how many people A talk about it and B if its got the mick taken out of it in scary movie 1-4 or super hero movie. :biggrin:

Sweet Steve the Pirate and his all his buried treasure...w...t...f?
Reply 5
Jayk

why did you quote me and what are you on about?
Reply 6
Ring(u). As in, the Japanese original, not the bloody remake.

The Descent is visually impressive, but hackneyed by a sophomoric director (with a rather ghoulish penchant for the cheapest and most exploitative gore) who seems unable to forego making his audience jump at every available opportunity. The Others is ingenious and subtle, but seldom genuinely frightening.
Reply 7
Gaylei
why did you quote me and what are you on about?

I was simply so utterly confounded by how someone who claims to have graduated from University can hold such a juvenile view of how to 'measure a good film' - it's the kind of thing I might expect a 12-year-old to say. I was, to be quite honest, left completely speechless, yet with the odd desire to say something. SO I went for the good old fashioned 'what the ****?', with some random movie reference tacked onto the start.

Sorry, was that not clear?
Jayk

:ditto: :rofl:

Anyway, The Ring is excellent (the original being better, although i do quite like the American version). Never seen The Descent, seems like an average gore film. Though I'll have to see it before i can pass judgement :teeth: The Others.....Hmmm.......It was ok, never really scared me though.

So I'll plump for the Ring.
Reply 9
The Decent isn't really a horor film, its more about how the women fall apart underground, and how stressful situations can make people crack. Its meant to be the opposite of his previous film Dog Soliders, where the all-male group is driven closer together by the terrible situation.
Reply 10
Well I am not going to choose "The Others" simply because I vaguely remember it. Both "The Ring" and "The Descent" had the same effect on me, those films left me with my hands over my eyes.
Reply 11
Gourdman
The Decent isn't really a horor film, its more about how the women fall apart underground, and how stressful situations can make people crack. Its meant to be the opposite of his previous film Dog Soliders, where the all-male group is driven closer together by the terrible situation.[/QUOTE]

Really? I had no idea that the they were both directed by the same guy. I really enjoyed "Dog Soldiers".
Reply 12
Jayk
I was simply so utterly confounded by how someone who claims to have graduated from University can hold such a juvenile view of how to 'measure a good film' - it's the kind of thing I might expect a 12-year-old to say. I was, to be quite honest, left completely speechless, yet with the odd desire to say something. SO I went for the good old fashioned 'what the ****?', with some random movie reference tacked onto the start.

Sorry, was that not clear?

oooh how tetchy are you! Unfortunatly you cant seem to grasp a joking sense of humor through the way I wrote that. I dont think there was any need to suggest that I claim to have graduated from uni ( would you like to see my degree and would you like to ask the CEO of Liverpool PCT, Derek Campbell if I had a degree when he empolyed me 6 months ago) and you cant have been speechles as you still managed to put something down. but your contribution was so excellent! Im astounded! :biggrin:
Also you never even finsihed your degree in false intellagence oh sorry I mean AI. "Feel free to belittle me in any manner you see fit." I will dont worry! :wink: Im glad we had this little chat! :p:
Reply 13
Gaylei
oooh how tetchy are you! Unfortunatly you cant seem to grasp a joking sense of humor through the way I wrote that. I dont think there was any need to suggest that I claim to have graduated from uni ( would you like to see my degree and would you like to ask the CEO of Liverpool PCT, Derek Campbell if I had a degree when he empolyed me 6 months ago) and you cant have been speechles as you still managed to put something down. but your contribution was so excellent! Im astounded! :biggrin:
Also you never even finsihed your degree in false intellagence oh sorry I mean AI. "Feel free to belittle me in any manner you see fit." I will dont worry! :wink: Im glad we had this little chat! :p:

Ouch :rolleyes:

So you were joking - that's fair enough. 'WTF?' - for the educated types amongst us :wink: - general signifies bemusement; I wasn't entirely certain whether or not you were taking the piss :p: Good thing that you were - it is, after all, quite difficult to tell on the interwebnutthing; especially considering some of the dumbasses that I spot over in Chat/H&R etc. :biggrin:
Reply 14
The Descent scared me quite a bit, I really liked The Others and probably would be better.
Reply 15
Jayk
Ouch :rolleyes:

So you were joking - that's fair enough. 'WTF?' - for the educated types amongst us :wink: - general signifies bemusement; I wasn't entirely certain whether or not you were taking the piss :p: Good thing that you were - it is, after all, quite difficult to tell on the interwebnutthing; especially considering some of the dumbasses that I spot over in Chat/H&R etc. :biggrin:

:yes: I was joking! ha! its true it is hard to tell sarcasam and joking over the tinterweb! oh well!

Ill look out for you and see if your a dumbass that you speak about! lol
Reply 16
The Descent by far!
I watched The Ring at a younger age and it was really quite terrifying, lol.

The Descent has some good jump-put-of-your-skin moments :smile:

I'd say, in order of scary-ness...

1 - The Ring
2 - The Descent
3 - The Others

I didn't find The Others scary at all.
theworldwonders
I didn't find The Others scary at all.

I thought it was a masterpiece. One of my fave films, and probably Nicole Kidman's best performance.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I thought it was a masterpiece. One of my fave films, and probably Nicole Kidman's best performance.
I have to agree that Nicole was fabulous in this film, but it just didn't thrill me enough, and certainly didn't make me jump :frown:

Latest