The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yep, not much easier though.

Just easier
Reply 2
I guess it also depends on the course. For example, if you apply for Medicine at a top university they will probably look at your GCSE grades. Though, some requirements for courses don't care too much about your GCSE's i.e only a B in English Lang and Maths will be sufficent.

Though I guess they can be a discriminator between applications, but I don't think in general they are TOO strict on it if the courses isn't that popular. So in short, you'll probably have an advantage.
Reply 3
It's not easier, you just meet GCSE requirements (where they exist) so you'll tick one box. You have to remember that these courses are incredibly competitive, and most of the applicants will have excellent academic records.

With Durham, there is NOT a university-wide no. of A* requirements. They look for significant numbers in History and English if I recall correctly, but this isn't set in stone and will vary from year to year.
Not Oxbridge! Durham don't interview (for most courses). They'll take GCSEs into account slightly. However, they aren't as harsh as many think. As River says it's only really history (and possibly English) where they "expect" high A*s.
Oh, as for whether it will be "easier" to get into the unis then not necessarily so. If a high number of A*s are a requirement then you would have met one of the requirements. However, they aren't given enough weighting to compensate for poor A-level grades, statement or reference. I'm sure they'd rather someone with only 3 A*s and excellent grades and PS than someone with eight but a mediocore PS.
Reply 6
With so many students now getting A's or A*'s at A level universities are having to look at GCSE's in some cases as a way of helping to choose between applicants. At "top" institutions and/or very popular courses then how good your GCSE's are become increasingly important as a quick method to sift through applications.
GCSEs might play a small part in your application but as others have said, normally if you are applying to do something like medicine or teaching. Even so, it is more important IMO that you get excellent a-level grades as well as an amazing personal statement and a great interview if you have one.
Reply 8
i only agree with LSE .. not durham
I got 3A's, 5C's and 4B's and I got a below standard offer from Durham.
It was in Sociology though, so other subjects will probably have higher GCSE requirements.
The key issue here is how competitive the course is. Hence Durham being a lot less picky for sociology than english - it's all about supply and demand. So, you'll find unis like York and Nottingham operating a GCSE cut off for English.

Ideally, departments should publish their admissions policy so that people don't waste an application (and everyone's time).
i don't think its any easier.. i think its just enough if you get the grades they require you to. for example, econs in most unis require B or above in gcses math or a-level math taken.

i got no A in my gcse and took only 6 due to some circumstances but i still am accepted by durham for politics course
Reply 12
Well you need to meet their requirements in many things, so though you'll meet their GCSE requirement and make yourself stand-out in that area from the other applicants (obviously the more A*'s you have the better), you still need to meet their criteria in other areas. Your A level choices and grades will be just as important, as will your personal statement, your reference, your interview (if you have one), your admissions tests (if you have one) etc.
Reply 13
Anyone know what Durham is like on GCSE grades for a geography degree?
Reply 14
fn_101
Anyone know what Durham is like on GCSE grades for a geography degree?

I imagine something like 6A-A* minimum. It is the 3rd best Geography department in the UK.

For History (2nd) and English (1st) they want a majority of A*, so I don't see why Geography would be any different.
Reply 15
{City17}
I imagine something like 6A-A* minimum. It is the 3rd best Geography department in the UK.

For History (2nd) and English (1st) they want a majority of A*, so I don't see why Geography would be any different.

So would 2A* and 8A's be adequate? I see people with 8A*'s, the rest A's and a string of A's at AS and doubt my chances with my application. I have AAAC in AS, but I don't know what to say/do to enhance my application. I think I fell in love with Durham too early, dammit.
Reply 16
fn_101
So would 2A* and 8A's be adequate? I see people with 8A*'s, the rest A's and a string of A's at AS and doubt my chances with my application. I have AAAC in AS, but I don't know what to say/do to enhance my application. I think I fell in love with Durham too early, dammit.

whats so good about durham... apart from its rep. i don't get this obsession with durham, the city is not that exciting and i imagine its not too multi-cultural or anything... sounds boring in my opinion. although feel free to disagree
Reply 17
abu.10
whats so good about durham... apart from its rep. i don't get this obsession with durham, the city is not that exciting and i imagine its not too multi-cultural or anything... sounds boring in my opinion. although feel free to disagree

Looking at league tables only tells part of the story. To fully appreciate Durham I think you have to visit.

Anyway, we are going off topic. Make another thread if you wish to discuss this further.
Reply 18
In my opinion, AS grades should be primary, then personal statement, then GCSEs as a decider. One flaw with this however is using something discrete (like GCSEs) as a decider rather than a grey-area thing (like the PS)...