The Student Room Group

Physics or FMaths...for Biology!?

Hey, first post :smile:
OK this year for my AS levels I've done Maths, Chem, Bio and Geog. I have virtually already dropped geography as I despise 'human geog' and overall it's not 'sciencey' enough for my taste :frown:

On the proviso that all goes well I plan to apply for a Biology focused degree which won't necessitate me taking Fmaths or physics; but I am planning on taking one of them up out of interest (and partly because I should have taken them at AS originally really, and regret it).

My problem is I think I'd enjoy both equally, and disregarding the difficulty of one relative to the other, any ideas on whether one would be more beneficial than the other for me to take? Or does it really not matter? Arrgh lol! I'll probably resort to an ip-dip-do :cool:
I'd appreciate any advice thanks :smile:
Murphology
Hey, first post :smile:
OK this year for my AS levels I've done Maths, Chem, Bio and Geog. I have virtually already dropped geography as I despise 'human geog' and overall it's not 'sciencey' enough for my taste :frown:

On the proviso that all goes well I plan to apply for a Biology focused degree which won't necessitate me taking Fmaths or physics; but I am planning on taking one of them up out of interest (and partly because I should have taken them at AS originally really, and regret it).

My problem is I think I'd enjoy both equally, and disregarding the difficulty of one relative to the other, any ideas on whether one would be more beneficial than the other for me to take? Or does it really not matter? Arrgh lol! I'll probably resort to an ip-dip-do :cool:
I'd appreciate any advice thanks :smile:

FMaths definately.

(I have offers for Bio)
Reply 2
Probably FMaths although I wouldn't see it as imperative or even that much more helpful.
Well I do further and physics and biology and I'd say neither is going to be especially useful to you but in terms of difficulty further maths is harder and in terms of credibility for universities further maths is stronger, so there you go. Personally I'd do both as they're hella awesome! One thing to note is that different colleges will offer different physics courses and different combinations of maths modules and this will affect your enjoyment. We did far too little pure for my liking in further maths but in physics we did physics B which was great.
Thanks for the replies guys.
manderlay in flames
Personally I'd do both as they're hella awesome!

Well ideally I would have liked to have done both yeah, but I'm taking an AEA in biology and as of yet I don't know how much or little effort that will involve lol. I think I'll have enough on my plate hmm.

manderlay in flames
One thing to note is that different colleges will offer different physics courses and different combinations of maths modules and this will affect your enjoyment. We did far too little pure for my liking in further maths but in physics we did physics B which was great.

Yeah I think I'll just double check the modules, apparently the physics course at our college is naff so I'm guessing that's physics A. But Fmaths is taught by that outreach program (not at the college). Well looks like FMaths has the stronger case atm, but if statistics drags my AS Maths down a bit I might get scared heh :biggrin:
Reply 5
F.maths is more enjoyable, especially if you are 'mathematically minded'.
Reply 6
Do as much maths as you can and then go into Systems' Biology or Mathematical Modeling or Biological Physics = fun! Even for the last maths will be more helpful than physics because you do mechanics and statistics in maths and the rest of physics is not really that useful (for this purpose - in all other respects it's great of course. :biggrin:).
Reply 7
Can't really see either of them being that useful. Meh. I know nothing about science.
Reply 8
As you say, neither are necessary (or even beneficial) for a biology-based degree, but I'd personally go with physics. You already have maths and while I'm aware that further maths is often considered more interesting by those who take it, physics will give you a broader grounding in the sciences.
llys
go into Systems' Biology or Mathematical Modeling

I don't know why but I just HATE how them courses sound, things like quantitative biology etc..

BioSam
physics will give you a broader grounding in the sciences

Yeah I've thought that also, well as I'm already doing Maths at A2 I've changed my mind again to Physics. On your UCAS form when applying to Uni's is there a specified place to state what you are doing at A2, if you have picked up any new AS subjects etc? I assume there is, otherwise you'd have to mention it in your PC?
Reply 10
Murphology
I don't know why but I just HATE how them courses sound, things like quantitative biology etc..

I know what you mean, but 'quantitative biology' is actually a lot cooler than it sounds. :tongue: Check this out (just an example).

I'm not trying to convert you btw (lol, maybe a little bit). Physics is a great subject & definitely do what you'll enjoy most!

New AS subjects shouldn't be a problem on the form, lots of people do it.
Reply 11
Physics would probably be easier, but why not do both like me :smile:

Latest